Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Too many oils, Whats best for the 5.6L Armada

31K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  liquid1 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok I went to the local Autozone as I have some coupons for motor oils in the mail, Plus I use my reward card with them at times. Its been many moons since I bought any kind of oils besides the Ford Motorcraft oil . Which Has always been good to me with my fords. I just bought 7 quarts of Valvoline 5W30 Max life but with only 56,000 miles on the 2010 Armada Titanium I am reluctant to use the MaxLife.. wanting to stay with a semi Synthetic not go full syn if possible. 1 quart of any motor is $5.50 and up..Dang expensive considering a few years back the same oil was $2.50 a quart.
I have read Mobile 1 is the best for full Synthetic on the market that and Amzoil.
Anyone know If it would be ok to use the Maxlife or what will work that want break the bank.

The Honda dealer we bought the Titanium from used semi Synthetic blend according to the sticker.. so trying to stay with the same. Honda wants $65.00 to service the Armada, every Nissan dealer I called local wanted $45.00 for the semi Synthetic blend and $70.00 for full Synthetic and are backed up and a appointment is needed, I have always serviced and Maintained all my Machines just wanting to do this Armada right as we plan on keeping this one for a looooong time. Is the Maxlife ok or harmful and what do you Nissan owners use and like, What the heck is up with the ATV size filter on this power house of a engine..WOW don't understand this at all. My dirt bikes has bigger filters. Must be ok as theres a lot on here going 5K between oil changes, Thanks in advance..:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone tell me how to search for past post on here, looking for info..???
I'll contact my local Nissan Dealer and get there recommendations.
Plan on changing out the motor oil every 3500 miles anyway as the Armada is used for a lot of Stop and go travels.

#4 ·
Only Mobil 1 for the QX every 7K miles. This is backed up by clean reports from Blackstone. I've only used M1 in all my vehicles for the past 14 years, but I'm trying Amsoil for a run in my G37xS.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with semi-synthetic. Do you want semi-beer? I see using a high quality synthetic oil and filter as simple preventative maintenance. The difference in price is less than half a tank of gas.

#5 · (Edited)
Keg, Thanks and I see your point.. Are you using Nissan filters.
Lonenavey thanks.. Yea I bought the Bosh filter Tiny thing for such a high performance 32 Valve engine.. I was shocked..

Just about everyone I know runs this in there Tundra's and every thing else they own.. all the way down to there lawn mowers, and atv's.
http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t6.html shell Rotella T6 5W40 $21 a gallon.

compared to the mobil1 5W30 full syn.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-30.aspx $25 a gallon

So everyone has bumped up to full synthetic..
I will probably stick to my 3K to 5K max regimen on intervals considering how small these filters are..

#6 ·
I use Mobil 1 with fram or wix filter, on both my armada and the maxima. Usually change it every 4500 mi. I buy it from Wal-Mart and usually get 2 or 3 gallons at the time. Now in my opinion, if you want to use semi- synthetic I would go with Castrol. I've heard its best semi you can buy.

#7 ·
Go full synthetic using Mobile 1 or royal purple. Also use higher quality filters such as royal purple/bosch.

With synthetic you can bump up your schedule from 5-7k. The proof is in the pudding.
Take your current oil sample and send it to blackstone.

Then change out to full synthetic run a full 7k and send the oil sample to blackstone.

You end up saving money in the long run running better oil and filters.

Also, it's much cheaper to buy Mobile1 at your local Wallmart in a 5 quart jug.

#31 ·
Just changed the oil and It was nasty, Glad I did.. supposedly only had 3,500 miles on it.. I'm not buying it, I will change over to full synthetic Mobil1 next change. used Castrol syntec 5W30 want to see what a more conventional oil looks like after 3K..

#33 · (Edited)
You can't necessarily judge oil quality/longevity by how it looks. It's going to look black very quickly but that doesn't mean that it's not doing it's job.
I completely understand what your saying.. The 3,000 mile oil changes in my fords never looked this bad.. Just sayin..But there just 3 Valve vs 32Valve, the Nissan has a lot more going on at a faster pace.. Could contribute to the oil looking more used than I'm use to seeing.. I will know more at the next oil change. I use Motorcraft 5W20 Semi syn in my Triton 5.4L and after 3,000 hard miles the oil looks barely used. The Armada was bought off a Honda Dealer as a used Certified car/truck Backed by a Written 100,000 mile Engine and Drive train warranty. So I would think the oil was changed 3,500 miles ago as advertised.. I'm not complaining just surprised from a Gas motor, expect it from a fuel smoker engine, instant black.. Thanks for the info Keg97.

#34 ·
I completely understand what your saying.. The 3,000 mile oil changes in my fords never looked this bad.. Just sayin..But there just 3 Valve vs 32Valve, the Nissan has a lot more going on at a faster pace.. Could contribute to the oil looking more used than I'm use to seeing.. I will know more at the next oil change. I use Motorcraft 5W20 Semi syn in my Triton 5.4L and after 3,000 hard miles the oil looks barely used. The Armada was bought off a Honda Dealer as a used Certified car/truck Backed by a Written 100,000 mile Engine and Drive train warranty. So I would think the oil was changed 3,500 miles ago as advertised.. I'm not complaining just surprised from a Gas motor, expect it from a fuel smoker engine, instant black.. Thanks for the info Keg97.
If you're really worried, get an analysis from Blackstone. Best $20 you can spend to ensure that your oil and engine are in good working order!

#8 ·
I read something on the internet that was helpful with deciding on oil:

"Oil is cheap, engines are expensive"

I prefer to use a full synthetic on all my cars and lawn equipment. Initially I noticed smoother starts and I think slightly better mileage.

With a synthetic, you can extend the interval by 2x or more so in the long run it works out. WalMart carries a Mobil1 5-W30 full synthetic 5 quart jug for $23 around here, then you'll need two additional quarts (for a total of 6.5 quarts). Before you use the quart bottles, take a magic marker and mark the fluid level on the outside of the bottle. That way you can save money in the future by refilling the 1.5 quarts from the 5 quart jug on the next oil change as it is cheaper to buy in bulk.

For oil filters I use the Mobil1 filter - and I agree with you that the filter is very small considering the oil capacity. If you get any ideas about changing it, remember you are now changing the capacity of the entire system.

I've been very happy with Mobil1 but as others may comment it tends to make the lifters a little loud. Others like ASMOIL but that is hard to find locally.

Changing the oil on the Armada is not difficult (though a little messy due to the poor placement of the filter and how the stream runs right down the front anti-sway bar (duh Nissan!).

- Put painter's plastic down for spills and cardboard on top of that
- Jack it up on stands and take off the front skid shield (there are 4 bolts - only the top two near the front have to come off, the ones towards the back can just be loosened (careful with these as I snapped one that was rusted - I would suggest anti-seize on all 4 of these to avoid that)
- Loosen the oil plug and drain (while it is draining, take off the oil filler cap for better flow but leave it propped on it so nothing falls in the tube)
- Put the plug back on by hand
- Remove the oil filter and let the rest drain into the used oil container
- Open one of the new bottles and stick your finger in, lube the gasket on the oil filter and install (Mobil1 M1-110 if you are using the Mobil1 filter)
- Go back to the oil pan drain and let the rest drain out
- Replace the copper crush washer on the oil drain plug (get them at your Nissan dealer)
- Torque to 25 ft. lbs
- Fill with 6.5 quarts
- Put cap back on, check oil level, drop the truck and clean up

Total cost of job will be about $35 and you know it's done right.

#9 · (Edited)
My preference is M1, get a 5 quart jug at WallyWorld for about $26.00. Not a bad deal. As far as the semi synthetic, personally I think it is a pacifier. Not the expense of a synthetic but supposedly the same benefits. I don't think so, by the time the additives in the conventional component burn off, what's left?

I think I've posted an article published by Amsoil on this forum before. I'll have to dig it up and repost it.

As far as "best" synthetic, until proven otherwise. Amsoil officially holds that title.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks this is the info i was looking for..Gonna stop and check out wally world in a bit..

#14 · (Edited)
This is impressive knowing you tow With yours also..And to know Blackstone gives a clean report considering the small filters these engines run must mean these engines run very efficient and clean. I guess I will get use to the full Synthetic oils, Always have used Conventional based oils..Thanks for the info.

#12 ·
I have used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 with FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil filter for the past 71,000 miles. I change it every 6k-7k. I have my 'Maintenance Reminder' setup for 6K, along with a 5k remider to rotate my tires. I live in humid/hot Central Florida.

#13 · (Edited)
Ok, I been driving myself nuts on going full synthetic this oil change. decided to hold off this time so I bought this Synblend,http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9045416&contentId=7081142 this is good oil as the Motorcraft syn has been good to my F150 120K engine is like new.. I know a lot on here think its a waste of funds and go full synthetic first oil change , But the Honda dealer used Synblend at 52k miles so I will run this another 3K and swap over to Mobile 1 syn next Oil change, Way to many good results on here not to, I think the Synthetics are expensive but its cheaper than engine damage, the Nissan is just foreign to me and I better get use to it fast..Thanks everyone..

#15 ·
This is an email I recieved about Amsoil being "the best" synthetic.

Date: Monday, January 10, 2011 3:17 PM

To: Ellis <ellisedw***@***>

Subject: Amsoil vs Mobil 1

Size: 12 KB

Ellis,

I would like to address one of the most common questions I get asked "how does AMSOIL compare to Mobil 1" since Mobil 1 uses the catchy advertising slogan "nothing outperforms Mobil 1". I will begin by explaining a few things: AMSOIL was introduced to the public in 1972, three years before Mobil 1 was introduced in 1975. AMSOIL was recently issued the trademark, "The First in Synthetics" by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. No other oil company in the world can claim to be first.

Albert J. Amatuzio, President and CEO of AMSOIL INC., told an interesting story as to how this came about. AMSOIL applied to have this statement registered and was told that they must prove to the trademark officials, by documentation, that AMSOIL Synthetic Oil was the first, historically. However, they also said that by claiming to be first, we were insinuating we were the best (or #1 /first) from a quality or performance standpoint.

So AMSOIL had to convince them that they had the best product to also claim to be first. AMSOIL proceeded to present comparison documentation and test results backing up the claim that AMSOIL was also the best. The trademark officials accepted the documentation to allow AMSOIL to use "first" in their trademark.

But the process was not through. The procedure now required the government to notify all other oil manufacturers, including Mobil 1, that would be impacted by the decision, so they would have input before this decision would be official. They were notified in writing and given 90 days to object, comment or respond. The 90 days elapsed without a peep, and that includes Mobil 1.

AMSOIL not only convinced the trademark office that AMSOIL Synthetic Oil was the first historically, but also convinced them that AMSOIL is the first in quality, and no other competitor objected!

In fact, Mr. A.J. Amatuzio, founder, President and CEO of AMSOIL states that he often hears other companies ad slogans stating that their products are the best. They are not. Mobil 1 has run the tag line for their advertising "nothing outperforms Mobil 1". A.J. Amatuzio states that he knows a company that does make products that outperform Mobil 1. "And you know which company that is. Mobil makes a very good oil, but I am here to tell you that that it does not outperform AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils. They can come out with advertising buzz words to market their oils, but in the final analysis, buzz words don't add one thing to their products performance. The only reason that AMSOIL has continued to grow and prosper competing with large corporations like Mobil is that AMSOIL products have consistently performed better.

Here is an excerpt from "the President's Desk" article that appeared back in the November 2002 AMSOIL Action News Magazine and clearly shows that there is not another oil on the market that outperforms AMSOIL, and that includes Mobil 1:

"There's excitement in the air among AMSOIL Dealers and here at the home office. Why? If you read your October Action News, you know about the phenominal results our 10W-30 (ATM) achieved when run through the API Sequence IIIF test.

This is a very stringent test, normally lasting 80 hours, and is designed to measure oil thickening, oil consumption, wear, and piston deposits in high temperature service. It was performed by an independent testing facility, and our 10W-30 soon became the talk of the lab. That's because instead of stopping the test at 80 hours, we requested it be run three times longer, for an unheard of 240 hours!

How significant is this? We know of no other oil that has been subjected to this test for that long, and the lab technicians had never heard of it being done before, either. It's difficult enough for an oil to pass the test at 80 hours, and very few oils, only good synthetics, could pass at double that, or 160 hours. But to run an oil for 240 hours under those stringent test conditions was totally unheard of. My son, Alan, who oversaw the testing, said it was generally agreed, based on the extended test data, that our oil could have continued to run another 80 hours and still have achieved similar outstanding results. The oil performed that well!

If you read the test results in the October Action News and paid particular attention to the green graph showing viscosity increases. The competitive oil selected by the lab was one they knew was a good performer in this test, and it did well for the 80 hours the test is normally run, but at 120 hours you see it sharply increase in viscosity. Meanwhile, the AMSOIL 10W-30 remains almost unchanged through the 240 hours of testing. This is why our oils perform so well during extended drain intervals. They stay in grade, even under the most severe service. This extended test is proof positive of that.

Alan indicated that even after this severe extended test, the engine was in excellent condition. He said even the machinging marks on the cylinders were still prominent. The was absolutely minimum wear and virtually no deposit formation. The parts were on display at our Convention here in Duluth/Superior.

As most of you are aware, Mobil 1 was introduced after AMSOIL had paved the way for synthetic motor oils back in the 70's. When it was introduced, it caused great concern among many of our Dealers. But in my President's Message at the time, I assured everyone that having Mobil 1 on the market would only help us sell more oil. Mobil confirmed everything we had been saying about our synthetic oils, and our products and claims instantly became more credible.

Since then, we have always been compared to Mobil. When people think of synthetic motor oil, they think of AMSOIL and Mobil 1, not the other Johnny-come-lately's that have come on the market more recently. I have always said that Mobil 1 is a good motor oil, because compared to the run-of-the mill motor oils on the market, it is. I have always said that AMSOIL motor oil is better, again, because it is. Mobil makes their oils to run at normal drain intervals while we make ours for extended drain intervals, and therein lies the difference. Their oils don't have to be as good as ours, so they are not.

To prove that point, we ran a number of comparative tests on our 5W-30 (ASL) and Mobil 1 Super Syn 5W-30. The test results were published in this Action News, and they confirm what I have said all along. AMSOIL makes a better motor oil.

There test results show significant differences between our oils. Look at the results of the NOACK Volatility Test. Which oil is going to last longer in service? Look at the differences in total base numbers. Again, which oil is going to provide the longest lasting protection? Look at the Four Ball Wear Test. Which oil will protect against engine wear better? In every category we tested, AMSOIL proved superior. Lower pour point, higher flash and fire points, AMSOIL tested best.

So when I hear claims that nothing outperforms Mobil 1, I have to say, "wrong"! They may have good slogans and marketing hype, but when it comes to superior performance, I say nothing beats AMSOIL!

Once again, you always get more more value when you buy AMSOIL lubricants. These and many other tests prove it.

Just so you know, Mobil One is not the only competing motor oil that Amsoil beats. Independent tests also prove that we're better than popular oils such Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil and Quaker State. In case you haven't seen it yet, be sure to visit:

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/

#27 ·
I got a year of free changes from stealership. When those are done I will use synthetic. I usually go with Castrol, Mobil 1 or Penzoil. I steer clear of Fram filters and get wix, bosch or purolator pure one. I would go k&n or mobik 1, but they are $.

Is there an alternative larger filter? I know there is one for my G35 that has the same flow and burst specs, but a larger filter medium.

#29 ·
Pops mentioned something about lifter noise using mobil1??? . Right now with 54,000 miles the 5.6L is the smoothest and quietest engine of anything ive ever owned.. any reason to expect more engine noise using full synthetic..all good points and info..

#30 · (Edited)
Got up under the Armada yesterday to mull it over I'm a small guy and Dang I cant roll under the front without putting front on ramps, then it looks like the oil will drain back when the plug is forward.. guess I'll do the shimmy Skimy on my back and that's using a low profile creeper.. to getter done, is anyone using ramps, I know 6" lifted shouldn't make a huge difference with oil draining out due to the pan being tapered but will make some.. This 4x4 sits low compared to any other I have owned.. Its built like a Tank !!
Ok Edit, I just finished up changing the motor oil out and checking all the fluids.. They all looked good, Gonna change the Other fluids next oil change and also step up to the Mobil1 full synthetic in another 3,000 miles. Set the display to remind me, it never ask me for a start milage guess it knows that..lol.
The oil was a dark brown/Blackish color it needed changed for sure.
I used the longer bosh filter 3323 2x longer than the Valvoline filter I took off. and Castrol syntec 5W30 this time.. and it took a full 7 quarts to get the full mark in the middle/upper when hot of the 2 holes on the Dip stick filled it with 6.5 quarts and it was on the L mark ??? drove around for 5 miles and checked hot and added up to the fill mark in the Nissan book. figuring the longer filter . Engine runs smooth and quiet. This Nissan engine looks strange to me.. small bolt on oil pan, small filter and 6.5/7 qts. It runs like a scalded cat so it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.