Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Interested in 2 inch lift with upgraded front and rear shocks

94K views 142 replies 14 participants last post by  2015 Boy Toy 
#1 ·
My Armada is a 2009 LE 4WD with 113,000 miles with auto leveling.

I am very interested in getting a modest 2 inch lift. I would also like to change front and rear shocks while doing the lift.

Based on popular demand, I will probably be getting the 2 inch lift kit from PRG. Or the 1.5 inch lift.

Next is getting some new shocks to replace my old ones so I can install them along my lift at the same time.

Based on popular demand, I am sure I would go with bilsteins for the fronts and set them on the middle setting. So, I am thinking if I buy the 2 inch kit, I may end up with 3 inch lift on the front since when you set the bilstein on the middle setting it already raises the truck like an inch. Please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong on anything here.

Now my main problem is the rear since I hear it does not have a lot of options because of auto leveling.

I will appreciate any suggestions for the rear. I will already be buying either the 2 inch or 1.5 inch kit for the front and rear of my Armada. I really wish to go with the 2 inch kit. So now I am trying to find the best shock to support the the 2 inch rear lift I am planning to install.

My current plan;

FRONT: Bilstein with PRG 2 inch lift kit

REAR: ......... with PRG 2 inch lift kit

Any suggestions for the rears would be appreciated. Or any suggestions about the general setup I am planning to run would be appreciated.

Some random thoughts for the rear...
Ranchos? Which one?
PRG Radflo? Which one?
Should I replace the front springs? I read somewhere we can replace the front springs with that from the Titan which is a beefier spring

See less See more
#2 ·
You really don't want to replace the rear air shocks with ranchos if it's not broken or leaking. Those things works good if they are not worn out or leaking. I don't think prg has a 2" lift for the front. I think 1.5. It with your 5100 bilstein you can adjust like you said. You don't need to replace the front springs. I believe kooshtaka has the setup you're looking to do.

#3 ·
Yeah. My recommendation is to do one of two options with the front:

1. 2 inch puck with bilstein HD. This is if you are not planning on any more than 2 inches in front as the HDs are non adjustable.

2. Bilstein 5100s use top perch.

For the rear ntrddragn has it correct... I do not recommend Ranchos. Unless you want to be spending more money in a year to replace spent shocks.

For the rear I would suggest prg 2 inch puck (actual height is like 1.5 inches but due to suspension wizardry it gives you 2 inches of lift) combined with rear HD coils. If you do a search on here for rear HD coils it should pop up with the thread that has the specific part numbers for the Raybestos/Moog/NAPA/OEM SE Non Tow coils. You need to be careful and be sure you're getting the correct ones. The HD coils will help fight against any cali lean and help stiffen up the rear suspension.

If you really want to replace the rear shocks there's two options I would suggest. One requires you to do a bit of shock middling while the other should hopefully bolt right up but will most likely require a long wait time.

Rear shock option 1: do a search on this forum for rear bilstein shocks. ... there's a pretty good write up with details on what you need and how to do it.

Rear shock option 2: contact greg (PRG ) and ask him to get/make a radflo/saw rear shock for oem length.

There is a third option but that is about $2500 iirc. There's a Canadian company that created a kit that will completely eliminate any sag. They replace pretty much all the rear suspension components and replace with high quality parts. ... and you get on-board air out of it also.

Reactions: AdrianO.Saldana18
#5 ·
@ntrddragn @Kooshtaka @Pops

Thanks a lot to you 3 for all the info and suggestions. Great info.

When I take all this info together with what I wish to achieve, this is what I came up with that I would like to do. Feel free to let me know what you guys think.

FRONT:
Bisltein 5100 set on the middle setting with the PRG 1.5 kit

REAR:
Keep stock shocks on. Buy Moog springs 81085 with PRG 2inch kit

#6 ·
Some quick responses to some points you made

@ntrddragn
My air shock is not leaking or broken, so I will do as you say and leave it as is. And it does make sense to me now to have the bilsteins and set it on the middle setting and get the PRG 1.5 spacer.

@Kooshtaka
Thanks a lot for the great write up. I really want to get the bilsteins 5100, not the HD. But I would not feel comfortable setting the 5100 to the highest setting to achieve the lift. Hence, I would like to have it on the middle setting and still get the PRG 1.5 inch kit. As for the rear, I will do as you say and get the moog springs 81085 and get the PRG 2 inch kit from Greg. It is so hard to get him. I have spoken with him once and have tried like 6 times since then to get him to no avail. But I am glad I have not gotten him because now I feel I have more useful information to have a conversation with him about what I would like to purchase.

@Pops
Thanks for your suggestion. I strongly believe I would be buying that kit. BUT, I will ask Greg to add the 1.5 pucker for the front with the cam bolts. I will not change the rear shocks. But I will be buying the moog 81085 springs.

I just saw the moog 81085 springs on ebay going for $97 for a pair for the rear. I think that is not bad a price. If I find that same price of less than $100 for a pair of the front springs, I will likely buy that. Is it true the Titan has a beefier spring for the front that works for our Armada? If yes, can you send me a link or part number of what it is? If it is affordable, I will like to buy it to replace the front springs also.

#7 ·
If you go 2 inches up front on 2008+ model Armadas, I understand you have to replace the control arms too, otherwise you'll get knocking. That's why PRG makes the 1.5" mini lift for 2008-2015 (no control arms necessary). These are the control arms: http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg_titan_upper_control_arms/

I would suggest Beilstein HDs if you went with the 2" spacer and control arms. I hear the 5100s on the highest setting are a rougher, less comfortable ride. Unless you're sagging in the rear, it seems premature to replace the springs and/or air shocks. Maybe just try the 2" PRG spacer in the back and adjust the height setting on the auto-leveling system. I also wonder if you could get a 1.5" spacer up front, paired with 5100s for a 2" total lift (5100s have a 1/2 inch lift on lowest setting) to avoid knocking, and then 2" spacer in the rear.

#8 ·
I definitely would not want to get to the point where I have to replace the control arm. That thing is too expensive.

I will get the bilstein 5100 and set it on the middle setting or maybe on the lowest setting and use the PRG 1.5 kit, since I want to make sure my Armada does not gp higher than 2 inch in the front.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm definitely interested in what you end up with and how you like it as I hope to do the same or similar in the next year, and may do the same 1.5" with 5100 up front, 2" spacer in the back. I also have the firestone helper air bags in the back to adjust stiffness and for towing when needed. The front stock shocks even new are too bouncy though, and I'm only at 13,000 miles.

#11 ·
I'm definitely interested in what you end up with and how you like it as I hope to do the same or similar in the next year, and may do the same 1.5" with 5100 up front, 2" spacer in the back. I have the firestone help air bags to adjust stiffness and for towing when needed. The front stock shocks even new are too bouncy though, and I'm only at 13,000 miles.
Stock front shocks are junk. Lol if you are wanting to replace then I suggest nothing cheaper than bilsteins. They will help tremendously with bump steer issues.

Reactions: Burn1985
#10 ·
They haven't really changed the suspension since the Armada first came out. I highly doubt that you will get coil bucket contact (knocking sound mentioned above) with the plan you have.

I would highly suggest you run a search on that moog part number here on the forum to ensure they are the correct ones you need. ... it's been too long that I can't remember if they are or not off hand.

Best time to get a hold of greg is early morning (6am) Mondays or Tuesdays. .. other days could work also. If you have concerns about going too high in front ..... mention it to greg and he'll set you right.

Based on reviews and what I've seen - if you or anyone goes with an aftermarket upper a arm (also known as uppers) the only ones I would recommend are PRG uppers. EBay and rough country ones have been known to fail, metal worx out of Las Vegas has changed their design and is on par with eBay/rough country, dirt king are essentially PRG/Total Chaos knock offs at original prices, and Michael Deardoff's I still consider too new to know long term quality.

Yeah Yeah I know it sounds like I'm/we're pushing PRG and that's because we kinda are. Greg, while he can be hard to get in touch with, builds top quality work that has been proven to hold up. ...... and he is a suspension guru. Lol that's why I convinced him to build a 6 inch suspension lift kit for armadas, the only new kits out there unless someone squirreled a rancho or pro comp kit away before they were discontinued.

#13 · (Edited)
You don't need uca. The coil bucket shouldn't be in contact with it. I'm on stock uca with extended coilovers. The only time it contact is when I drive crazy off-roading where my wheels drop well beyond what it can do. But you can Greg and make sure.

Pops, I didn't know radflo make oem replacement for the rear. Can't seem to find the part number for them.

Metal Worx is out of business. FYI

#14 ·
I finally got a hold of Greg this evening. Based on all what he schooled me about the Armada and my goal, I think I will go with the PRG Armada 5100 spacer kit. Wgich is an option that has already been suggested by ntrddragn, Kooshtaka and Pops.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg-arm-bils-spr-pkg/

This is basically what it says and this is what I have settled on and wish to do;

FRONT:
Bilstein shocks set on highest setting.

REAR:
PRG 2" spacer kit.

I hope this works out good. Now I need to find a shop or someone who can install this for me.

#16 ·
Petitfrerearmada, I removed my front shocks and spring and took the meineke and they swap out the springs into new shocks for 50 bucks. Just make sure they do it correctly. There is are a few thread on here about it. And the rear is quite easy. You should join titan talk Facebook group. There is a few Dallas guys that is willing to help for some beer. Its worth a shot.

#17 ·
Petitefrerearmada. You can do the swap in your driveway with hand tools if you want. Just rent a set of spring compressors from auto zone or O'Reilly . This is what I did. There is a terrific write up/how to on this forum that will take you step by step. If you do a search for bilstein HD install it should pop up. The HD and 5100s both install the same. I do recommend having penetrating oil and heat (hand torch) on hand just in case you run into a stuck nut.

#18 ·
Thanks a lot for all the tips on how to do the swap. I honestly give up on that one. There is no way I will try that. I am worried I might mess something up. So, I will be on the search for someone to help me do the install. When I do buy the parts.

So, I went to the PRG products website.

I tried last night to order the parts and it wouldn't let me. I tried about 4 times today. The same thing. I called their number, did not get Greg but got anther guy who told me their system has a problem now and no one seems to be able to place an order through their website. He told me many people have been calling and emailing about that. That Greg is currently working on getting it resolved.

Well, I will try again tomorrow.

#19 · (Edited)
I contacted Greg today, got his paypal email and just sent in a payment for the lift kit. Since their website is still down if you try to order directly.

I need some help. I found out the cost of replacement springs are not bad. Because of this, I am trying to possibly buy new springs for the whole car.

Here is where I need some help. Based on rockauto's website, this is what they list:

FRONT: Moog 81196 for $59.89 for a pair

REAR: Moog 81089 for $67.79 for a pair

So that is a total of $126.68 for all 4 plus shipping of about $20, making a total of about $146.68 shipped to me. If that is the cost, I may probably buy new springs for all 4 wheels.

Can someone please chime in if they know those are the right part numbers for sure?

Also, is it a fact that the Moog spring is thicker than OEM and raises the truck about half an inch?

#20 · (Edited)
Reference to myself for more info about the rear springs...; page 22, post #215

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22206&page=22

I see based on this thread, it is recommended to get the Moog 81085 as the best spring replacement for the rear of the 4x4 Armadas. I guess I will be getting that then if I decide to buy the springs.

Do these springs truly raise the truck by half an inch? I will appreciate any input.

#21 ·
Hey I figure I'll add to the thread and answer your PM at the same time :) I used to be lifted 2.5" but I actually dropped back to stock height. My trailer is super low and with an 8" drop hitch it was still not level. Also the air suspension maxed out rides like crap. I also hear the bilstein on the high setting are pretty harsh.

I had the bilstein set on the middle perch for 1" lift (the new 5100's don't provide an extra 0.5" like the old ones) and a 1.5" billet aluminum eBay spacer.

For the rear I replaced the air compressor, air lines and air bags with brand new factory nissan stuff and cranked the sensor to the max for 2.5" lift.

I didn't get any lift from the Moog springs because I replaced them with the factory spec ones. After hours of reading about them, I decided that stock spec was best for me.

I remember looking at all the different options and comparing the overall length and spring rate.

It depends on your model you have, like a 2wd armada with 4wd springs would lift it slightly. A 04-06 4wd would need 08+ 4wd or PRO4x springs for lift. It's been a while so I'm a but rusty with all the specs.

So your 09 4WD would need PRO4x springs to get any lift. Max lift is not 1.5" for your truck, it's 1.5" max lift from a spacer, you could then add 1" more from the 5100's.

Getting lift from a taller/stiffer spring or bilstein 5100 is different than a spacer. It depends on what kind of ride you want after the fact.

The Moog coils weight like 30% more than the stock ones and were way thicker, but had the same length and spring rate.

I'm waiting for some free cash to buy the PRG rear 2" spacer and I'll sell my 1.5" front spacer and replace with a 2" so I can leave my suspension on the lowest setting for comfort.

I'm super happy with my Moog coils and 5100's. The ride was a bit more "sporty" (as much as it can be for a lifted 6000lbs SUV). After a while I found it too rough for me, I like the nice comfy more "cadillac" feel.

Anyways... I think that's enough typing for now. Hopefully that helps and maybe answers some of your questions. But ya, if you have more I'll try to help.

PS... Sorry if there are spelling mistakes or things that don't make sense, I've had a few drinks and it's been a while since I've looked into suspension.

Good luck. :)

#23 ·
I should clarify that the Titan PRO4x springs would only work for the front as the Titan/Armada front end is the same but the rear is totally different.

As for the rear springs, the 81089 (4WD LE) has a free height of 16.0625" and the 81085 (4WD SE) is 16.625". I'm waiting to hear back from my parts guy about the spring rate of both.

If I remember correctly the SE springs should be a slightly stiffer spring. So combine the higher spring rate with the fact that it's 0.5625" taller and you will deffinently get some lift.

I can't confirm how much lift you get get tho, maybe someone who has done it can chime in. That's why I ended up getting stock spec plus a spacer. You will get 2" from the spacer and 0.5-1" from a taller/stiffer spring.

If you get the SE springs and they are too stiff or lift it too much, you would have to swap back to LE springs. With LE springs you can always just adjust the air suspension to get that extra lift if you want it.

If your only looking for a 2" lift and don't want to have to go through any trial and error, this is the setup I would go with;

Front- Bilstein 5100 on the middle perch (1" lift), a 1" spacer and MOOG 81196 (4WD)

Rear- 2" rear spacer with MOOG 81089 (4WD LE)

The more you compress the Bilstien (higher perch setting compresses the spring more), the stiffer the ride will be. So yes you can do the highest setting with no spacer, but I hear from lots of ppl that it is to harsh for daily driving.

The springs are optional, but I recommend doing them while you have everything out. This will give you a slightly stiffer ride in the front (lots of guys love it and say it's a great improvement) and then you won't have to guess how much lift you will get.

#25 ·
@04GBArmada

Thanks a lot for responding to my PM and providing such a great explanation.

I have already placed an order for the PRG kit and after talking with the owner, I was going to install the Bilstein 5100 on the highest setting for a 2 inch lift on the front and then use the 2 inch spacer for the rear. But personally, after reading far and wide on both clubarmada and titantalk, I am a little iffy about installing the bilsteins 5100 on the highest setting. Deep down, I do not feel too comfortable doing that.

So, after more research and your suggestion above, this is what I have come up with.

FRONT: Bilsteins 5100 set on middle notch with moog 81194 (titan pro4x specs). I think this setup will give me 2 inch of lift in the front.

REAR: PRG 2" spacer kit. With the Moog 81089 (stock replacement for the LE)

I think this would be a good plan where I would not have to be doing a lot of trial and error.

I really had my eyes set on those Moog 81085 SE springs. I have talked to a few people on here who have done it. But since I will be getting the 2 inch PRG spacer for the rear, I feel I should not get the SE spring which will add half an inch lift. I will probably just stick with the 2 inch lift with the spacer for the rear. Then adjust the suspension if needed. If not needed, I will leave it alone.

#26 ·
Not a problem at all man, sounds like you have got it pretty much all figured out. I know it took me forever to decide on my setup.

The only thing I'll add is I believe the 5100's on the middle setting with PRO4x springs will be just like using the 5100's on the top setting with stock springs.

Your getting lift from preload, so using a higher setting will compress the spring more. The same thing will happen if you drop to the middle setting and use a stiffer/longer spring.

Hopefully that makes sense...

#27 ·
I just placed an order for the Moog 81194 and the Moog 81089 from www.autoplicity.com and used a discount code for shipping 30offshipping. I got the best price on both shipped to me from them.

Now I will just be waiting for my products from PRG and from autoplicity.

#28 ·
Nice man, waiting is the worst haha... Let me know how the instal goes. You mentioned that you don't want to do the instal alone.

If your getting a shop to do it, make sure they know that you are swapping to aftermarket height adjustable shocks. Some shops are not comfortable doing it.

If you end up finding a friend to help you out, there are some really good write ups available. Either way if you run into any issues, send me a message and I'll see if I can help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.