Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Brake light/VDC off light/Slip light

148K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  notaclue 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, I have been researching this for weeks upon weeks now and find nothing but different answers on the internet. A couple of months ago I was leaving work to go grab lunch and all three of the lights popped up on my dash and when I applied my brakes they locked up on me. I pulled over, turned my car off, and when I turned it back on the lights were gone.

A week or two went by and the lights came on again! No brake problems, just the lights on, and every time I shut my car off and turn it back on the lights disappear. Well, I took my car to my mechanic and took a picture of my dash, so he could see what lights were on exactly. He hooked it up and the computer said everything was running fine, checked brake fluid, it was full and checked all my brakes which he said were perfectly fine.

So I called Nissan and told them about my problem and they said that the 04-06 have been having a lot of issues with this and it is the brake booster that needs to be replaced which will run me around $1000! Okay, I don't have money like that right now so I didn't know what to do. So a couple of weeks go by, no problems!

Yesterday afternoon the lights came on again! And on top of that even when I turn my car on and off they are still there. They are not going away.

Basically what I am asking, is what have you done if you had the problem and what worked, before I run around in circles, paying people money that I don't have!!

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
There's been several people who spent the money on a new booster that didn't fix it so the dealership reflashed the BCM with an updated formware and it was magically fixed.

First, make sure you get all the recall work done: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=307

Next, checkout TSB - NTB06-040 : http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Know...1&filter=&sort=d&page=1&pp=10&keyid=5&doit=Go

The dealership should be able to read the codes for free, although you may have to drive to the closest dealer and leave the engine running the next time it happens to make sure that they don't get cleared.

#3 ·
My QX is my third Infiniti and every single one has occasionally had a problem where the VDC/SLIP/BRAKE lights come on. It is extremely common the FX. The owner's manual says they come on when a fault is detected with the ABS, but I have not had any problems with the brakes on any of the cars.

#4 ·
My 2006 Armada is also doing this. At first, the dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now they are saying it is the brake booster. I see posts all over the internet from Armada and Titan owners. I called Nissan 800# and complained. They communicated with the dealer for a couple of days and said they (not sure if it is Nissan or dealer) will pay 1/2 of the 1293.00 that it will cost to replace brake booster. However, I've read several reports from owners stating this doesn't fix the problem. So...at this point I don't know what to do. I'm posting reviews and advice regarding purchasing an Armada or Titan wherever I can. I did my research before my purchase and was aware of one of the brake problems; however, the dealership stated Nissan had fixed the problems.

#6 ·
My 2004 has this problem earlier this year. After checking the breaks and fluid levels I brought it to the dealer. After reading this site, I asked to have the Brake Control Module reset. The dealer ended up finding and replacing faulty ABS sensor on the drivers side front. I think it cost around $300 for diagnosis, parts and labor.

#7 ·
I contacted the Nissan consumer affairs division and was assigned a representative. They (Nissan corp and local dealer) gave me a "deal." They replaced the brake booster and sensor for about 350. They had originally quoted 1200. I went to as many review and websites as possible to post my experience warning other consumers. A post on my dealer's facebook page was what really helped me get the "deal." The Titan/Armada line has continuously had brake issues. I just traded mine in for a 2013 Honda Accord. I don't need the big car..we have a diesel truck for towing. Good luck to all who are having this issue.

#8 ·
06 armada VDC/Slip Lights On

I have a 2006 armada - VDC and Slip lights on the dash are lit up. 4 wheel drive also does NOT work. VDC button on console does nothing. My mechanic diagnosed and claims a bad ABS Module. I am concerned that may not be the ticket. The ABS works on the truck as I can feel it pulsing now that I am driving in the snow. Is the 4 wheel drive problem related to the VDC? I love this truck, but I am not pleased with this problem.

#16 ·
06 armada VDC/Slip Lights On

I have a 2006 armada - VDC and Slip lights on the dash are lit up. 4 wheel drive also does NOT work. VDC button on console does nothing. My mechanic diagnosed and claims a bad ABS Module. I am concerned that may not be the ticket. The ABS works on the truck as I can feel it pulsing now that I am driving in the snow. Is the 4 wheel drive problem related to the VDC? I love this truck, but I am not pleased with this problem.
Sir.
Did you ever figure out what caused this? I just bought an 06 Armada same issue. All 3 lights are on and can't trace it.

#14 ·
It's a low voltage problem. Read the posts about the electrical connections. If you have factory battery clamps or factory battery cables, or have not yet installed the grounding kit, or soldered all system electrical connectors, that's where the problem lies. Remember to check brake fluid levels and remember to change the brake fluid once a year. If it's just the brake light, the fluid may fix that. But if you get vdc, slip lights, and the brake light, then it's voltage related.

#15 ·
vdc, slip abs e-brake and 4wd lights

I have just replaced a front and rear hub bearing on my 05 armada . After I did the rear I started the engine and the lights came on vdc slip etc. I turned of the engine waited then restarted the engine no lights great. I did the front bearing today started the engine and got the lights, turned of the engine waited and restarted lights still on disconnected the battery for appox 30 secs , reconnected started the engine lights still on. For my situation , I did a drive down from Calgary Canada to Los Angeles and a rear hub bearing went on me and these lights came on. The garage which did the repairs advised me to replace the rest of them. So I think I will have to check electrical connections etc If I get no joy then a trip to the dealership I think unless someone has a good idea for my situation. cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.