Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Bad IPDM?

15K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  kev2809 
#1 ·
hey guys, new here! i bought my wife a 2004 armada back in august this year...love the truck! it has 82k miles on it. recently, a few days ago actually, the truck just cut off on her while she was driving. i was at work, so i called my buddy and he towed it back it my house..thinking its just the alternator or maybe even the battery.

well i ran cables to it for a few minutes with my truck, and tried cranking it and it wouldnt turn on. it sounded normal then after a few seconds of cranking it just started clicking, like the battery was dead. over the last month, i would turn the key once and nothing, then turn it again and it would crank normal, but i didnt think anything of it. so now it just wont turn on. i read on here and on titantalk.com about swapping over the relays from the fog lights, but it still wouldnt crank.

any ideas?

#3 ·
is the fuel pump a common problem? is it supposed to hum when you turn the key? i know on my chevys that when u turn the key but not turn the truck on, you can hear the fuel pump kick on and hum....

i did the ecm relay swap with the fog lamp relay and still nothing. i called the stealership to get a list of recalls and they never called back, but i looked up online and it only had 3 recalls for a 2004 armada, and none of them were this problem.

#5 ·
Does the starter kick in?

#7 ·
Its not uncommon for the fuel pumps to go out on these trucks. If the pump is humming when you turn the key then its priming like it should but that doesn't mean it is pumping efficiently while driving.

It sounds like you have another issue though. Are you sure you swapped the right relay out with the ecm and fog light.? All the relays look the same so its easy to get confused. I had a similar problem with my 04 but when I put a new ecm relay it fixed it.

#9 ·
I agree with rsoto80. I had the same symptoms like you did and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump.

#8 ·
i dont hear a thing coming from the pump when i turn the key..is it a distinctive hum?

im pretty sure i got them right...i swapped the second and the fourth (last) relay on the bottom of the ipdm board and still get the same result. this morning it sounded like it even turns on but right back off at the same time, then try it again and it just cranks like it wants to start but doesnt. if i never seen this ipdm horror story, i wouldve automatically assumed fuel pump.

#12 ·
well, i took a gamble on deciding between the fuel pump and ipdm board...

pulled the pump out...NO gas in the tank. i was a little pissed, had i poured in gas before hand, truck wouldve started. but, i think in the end its better i just go ahead and put the new pump in. my wife said the truck did read JUST below a quarter tank when it cut off. and i did notice it was reading that when i tried cranking it, and sometimes it would read completely empty with the gas light on.

when i noticed no gas, i poured in 5 gal and put the old pump in and turned on...but i decided to pull it out and put the new one in. clearly the float wasnt working, so i better fix it now. although, neither pump made a buzz or sound when i turned the key...wierd. well, its on and running now, gonna pay attention this week how this new pump is reading the level. anywho, thanks for all the input and help fellas, greatly appreciated.

#13 ·
Glad you could sort it out without any further troubleshooting. :D Now you can get back to enjoying your truck. ;)

#14 ·
well my wife can enjoy it lol...i dont get to drive it much! noticed gas spilling out of it today, turns out the new pumps dont come with the little plastic snap thing that the hose snaps too, so be sure to swap those over when putting the hose back on the new pump.

#15 ·
Thats good to know. We definitely don't need to give the Armada a reason to up its gas intake! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.