Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Any issues ditching the auto-level suspension?

8K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Pops 
#1 ·
I am thinking about ditching the auto-leveling suspension in the rear. Will I run into any issues / error codes / SES light if I removed everything?

#2 ·
Smoother ride ?. No codes here. Few of us already ditched the auto level since it is a POS and are extremely happy with the results. :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Sounds good. What kind of shocks are you running in the rear?

#4 ·
ProComp MX-6 since is lifted. I think Rancho has some for non lifted but not sure of their quality.

#5 ·
You can get Radflows for the rear from PRG. I'll get that for my next set. You can also fit Bilsteins in the rear with minor modifications. Search for the thread by Polz. I'm OK with my Ranchos, but there is definitely room for improvement in the rear.

#6 ·
I'll probably end up going with the Radflows. I read someone mention putting Bilstein 5165's on the rear, do those still need minor modification?

#7 ·
#9 ·
So the shocks from a non tow will just bolt up in place of the air shocks with no modifications?

#12 ·
I would love to hear the solution b/c I very much appreciate the air suspension b/c it does level out the truck when there is a load. Nothing worse than a droopy rear end!!! ;)

#20 ·
The rear auto leveler is just a pair of airshocks, a switch and cheapo compresser. You can circumvent the compressor and valve and just run airlines from the shocks to a convenient valve placement location. Or replace the shocks with normal ones and put an air ride suspension in, in place of the coil springs.

#21 ·
I have an 06' LE and I recently heard a noise coming from the rear drivers side of my Armada. I went to a local shop (Hollenshade's in baltimore) and they diagnosed the issue as a bad compressor. I was just going to swap out the compressor... quick side note, I don't do much on vechiles besides fluid changes and brakes... is this an easy task or do I need to leave it to an experienced staffer at a shop? The cost to do it myself is under $200 in parts or $640.00 as quoted by the shop. Any advice or ridicule welcome, it has afterall been a looong time since I posted or visited ClubArmada!

Thank you in advance,

Tony

#22 ·
The compressor alone will cost you more than $200. I had all sorts of problems at Nissan with techs not familiar with resetting programming for the module. It's more than swapping a compressor. You want them to update any programming and make sure the auto-level gets back to factory spec. They were ready to charge me for a new module and labor. As it turned out the techs do not do this every day(working with autoleveling). They have to
get other senior techs involved who have done this work. If all you need is new compressor, and after $650 it all works fine...(sorry) I will be mighty surprised.

Make sure you have no leaks in the shock bags....those only cost $262 a piece, check the autolevel sensor(that you can fix). My compressor literally decomposed(I am in NY), it was rusted in place. Take pics ,so you put it back correctly...if you are doing the work. Maybe you do that...swap out the compressor ....then take it to Nissan for reprogramming(which will take em 3 hours to clear and update the module programming.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.