Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Redesigned Front Rotors

39K views 63 replies 46 participants last post by  Snizzle 
#1 ·
There has been much discussion here about the "new" brakes on our Armadas. There also seems to be a lot of confusion about what the new brake fix consists of. I hope this post will help members to understand what the fix is.

1. The new rotors are for the front only. They are not larger in diameter and they are not thicker. They have been redesigned to stop the warping. Look at the attached links for the pictures (from Greg at MossyPerformance). These pictures will explain the differences.
2. Calipers are not being replaced. New pads are installed with the new rotors, as well as some new caliper mounting hardware.
3. Some dealers are turning the rear rotors and installing new rear pads when they install the new front rotors. I don't know if they inspect the rear brakes and make the decision to turn the rotors at that time or if some are just automatically doing the rears.
4. The dealer will turn the rotors up to three times (as long as they meet minimum thickness) and install new pads before the new rotors are installed.
5. As far as I know, at this time there is no recall for the brakes planned. The dealers won't repair the brakes until the customer has a complaint.

Here are the links to the pictures:

http://www.mossyperformance.com/rotor1.jpg
http://www.mossyperformance.com/rotor2.jpg

See less See more
Reactions: PacS14
#3 · (Edited)
More miles on new rotors; no problems

2004 OFF ROAD, built September '03
I just turned 20k miles, and I've had the brakes worked 4 times; new pads twice, and new rotors once. Between that, each set of rotors was cut once, and some new hardware put on the front calipers.
The shudder is back in all of it's glory. They just got the "new" parts for a fix, and I get to take it in again.
The front end feels like it is tearing itself apart under ALL braking right now.
The high speed stability is great, and the towing capability is great. Interior room is better than a new Expedition; Ford really messed that up for 2005. I had a '97 and '99 Expedition, and the best thing about them was the 2nd seat leg room.

ONE WEEK LATER........

NEWS: I got the FIX, and in 1000 miles, ther have been no problems, and the brake dust problem is really minimized to the point of non-existent. We'll have to wait & see......

Three weeks later.......
2000 miles on the new rotors, pads, etc., and no problems. Even towed 8000lb boat in the heat. No brake dust to speak of, either.
Maybe they have it this time?

Three months now on new brakes; very little dust, good stopping, no shudder. Looks good....

Have 30k miles, and no problems with the brakes. I would say "they got it"

Have 40k on it (14k on new rotors/pads) everything is still working properly; stops are short & quiet, no judder.

#4 ·
Called Nissan

I spoke to Nissan Consumer Affairs... (Number is in your manual). There is no recall at this time. They will however register the issue when an owner calls with documented VIN number. I suggest people start contacting Nissan with regards to the Brake issue. All dealers are aware of it, but seems Nissan is not acknowledging it. My dealer said essentially the problem is the brakes are too small for the vehicle.

Please call so we can get the recall!

#5 ·
I had the new "heat-treated" rotors installed on the front axle today (7K miles). Also new pads, etc. My rear pads were replaced...original rotors were smooth. These brakes feel great. Nissan was billed $714.21 parts and labor. Wow!

Also had service performed...oil change, etc. The tech removed the metal baffle/cover to get at the filter and neglected to reinstall it. Be sure to check that your baffle is reinstalled at each service...cuts down on road noise and provides some protection. The techs don't like to "bother" with it so tend to throw them in the dumpster.

#6 ·
Advice for brake fix pls.

Does any one have the part numbers for the brake updates? It would be nice to be that prepared. Starting to get the judder, started around 2300 miles and getting worse.
I would really like to try and work this so that I get the current 'permanent' fix. Sounds like it is working. Any advice on how to get that done on the first trip? I am contemplating try to raise a ruckus with Nissan first, and see if that work, so that my dealer merely has to confirm they should do it on the first shot. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
Good luck... I took my '05 Armada in for the brake judder fix and got it back yesterday. Purchased less than 2 months ago with 2300 mi on it. In the end, all I got was resurfaced rotors and a big headache :(

I did complain to Nissan USA before I went in. I also met with the service manager when I dropped off the car. And I met with the new sales director too just to vent... Again, it didn't get me the fix the first time around but I did learn a few things...

1. Nissan USA supposively sent a communication to all the service managers saying that the permanent fix kits would be available in volume by the end of June (from the service mgr)
2. Nissan USA is instructing dealers that all Armadas must be resurfaced at least once before they are elegible for the permanent fix
3. Backlog lists are getting short... I went to a major Armada dealer in Houston and there were only 26 people on the list
4. My dealer did comp me a renter while my car was in the shop for the TSB fix. They said all Armadas getting the brake judder work done get free loaners.

I would definitely recommend you contact Nissan USA, open a file and get your VIN on record with this problem. Mention the state Attorney General's office, the Better Business Bureau and the state Lemon Laws. But in my case... it still didn't get me far...

#8 ·
Thanks logdog, I've noticed a few getting the fix on the first go around. I think it may depend on the dealer....

#10 ·
Armada In Az Pnnacle Nissan

Hello, all, I am a new member. I bought my Armada on Labor day last year from Pinnacle Nissan. My brakes have all the problems I have seen in the forum. Has anyone else dealt with Pinnacle. If so, what happened? I am taking the bad boy in tuesday to get the second go around on the brake "fix", so they tell me anyway. Please let me know if anyone else in AZ deals with Pinnacle, or any other local dealer and what I can do.

#11 ·
Grimlog said:
Hello, all, I am a new member. I bought my Armada on Labor day last year from Pinnacle Nissan. My brakes have all the problems I have seen in the forum. Has anyone else dealt with Pinnacle. If so, what happened? I am taking the bad boy in tuesday to get the second go around on the brake "fix", so they tell me anyway. Please let me know if anyone else in AZ deals with Pinnacle, or any other local dealer and what I can do.
We bought our 2004 Armada from ABC Nissan. I was not too packed off with that dealer, so I started going to Midway Nissan for service. They knew all about the brake problem and installed the counter measure on my third visit. I encounted the window rattle and went there with the TSB and they ordered the parts fixed it without a problem. They seem to react quickly when you have the TSB. I have also had oil changes and a rear diff oil change done there without problems.

Ken

#12 ·
Brake Rotor Repair

Well, well, well...just when I thought I was the only one...My '04 developed the same shutter/rotor prob. at about 35K mi. New front rotors and pads solved the prob. I spoke to a person who works at the plant this past weekend and according to him, they are well aware of the prob. and are--as the rumors suggest--redesigning the front brakes. As you might have guessed, it's a rotor/truck weight thing. ....Now, if I could only fix all the cabin rattles....

#13 ·
My dealer has replaced all the rotors 3 times now. I haven't contacted Nissan yet, but I will after reading this thread. I am also going to contact National Highway Transportation Safety Board - that's how my husband approached a problem w/ his vehicle and within 8 weeks there was a recall.

#14 ·
I talked to Nissan Consumer Affairs yesterday and the lady I spoke with said that there is a new fix that was released w/in the last 2 weeks. The fix? Larger rotors - she also said they have extended the warranty on the brakes for one additional year & unlimited mileage.

#15 ·
finally - good brakes!

mess said:
Going on 5000 miles strong with the latest brake fix. Definitely less brake dust. Not a hint of brake judder. I plan on being very picky before my 3 years/unlimited miles runs out on this repair.
I have had the final and best fix (so I hear from my service manager). This happened about 4000 miles ago - the last 2400 miles were towing and LOTS of stop and go, traffic, hills, etc. Brake dust is minimal, no thought of juddering (and I had it BAD before), and the brake performance on the whole trip was great. Trailer has hydraulic ("surge") brakes, too. I am currently positive about the outcome of brake fixes, at least from my perspective. :amazing:

#16 ·
This is good news to hear. I hope the rest of you with brake issues get them fixed asap and I avoid the brake problems.

#18 ·
Brake Rotor Issue on Nissan Armada 05 @ 2500 mls(put car in the shop today)

As I was putting my car in the shop for the brake issue there were about 3 other individuals in there for the same thing. This is outrageous. I think there is a safety concern here. I dont know about any of you but this issue is causing my steering wheel/column to tremble as I am driving. It sounds very scary as if my left front tire is about to come off. I kidd you not, one day it was so bad that as soon as I got to my drive way I got out the car and checked the left side front tire bolts to be sure that everything was tightened. It seems to happen to me when I step down on the brake and get to mid-level then the steering wheel begins to tremble. It also acts weird when I turn right.

Although they are fixing it, there is no telling the causes and affects this may have on other areas with the Armada (alignment, wear and tear on the tires etc). For something so minor to cause your steering column to tremble like that makes you wonder what else can go wrong. This just should not happen to a brand new vehicle.

#19 ·
Got my fix today!!

Will give you an update after I get a few miles on them!! On a side note they gave me a Maxima as a loaner...I almost didn't give it back!! All I can say is 265 horses... 3000 pound car....oh my!! Can u imagine the 350z, of course some of you don't have to dream.

#20 ·
3 new rotors in 13500 miles

We have had the rotors replaced at 4000, 9000 and now 13500 miles. It is just ridiculous. The only response I get when I complain is " it's not that big a deal, the vehicle will stop". Contacted dealer and corporate last week, so far no response from either. Next step is initiating lemon law complaint....it is sometimes allowed in California after 3 unsucessful attempts if it is a safety issue; otherwise it is 4 attempts.

#21 ·
greenarmada said:
We have had the rotors replaced at 4000, 9000 and now 13500 miles. It is just ridiculous. The only response I get when I complain is " it's not that big a deal, the vehicle will stop". Contacted dealer and corporate last week, so far no response from either. Next step is initiating lemon law complaint....it is sometimes allowed in California after 3 unsucessful attempts if it is a safety issue; otherwise it is 4 attempts.
Read about the brakes.
Nissan initially had poorly designed brake rotors and pads. They found this out well into the 2004 production run when they started coming back. Since then, they developed new rotors, tested, them, and put them into production. Production started hitting the assembly line last May. The line ate up most of the redesigned parts as you can only make them so fast and spares have been slow to make it to the dealers. Dealers have been instructed to turn the rotors 3 times before replacing with the new parts to give them time to get enough produced to catch up with demand.

1. Your dealer should have told you
2. New different parts are available.
3. This post discusses the success of said parts
4. Go to the dealer and get them for free. Warranty was extended on brakes to 3 years unlimited miles to cover problem. ;)
5. Don't lemon, nothing better out there and this can be repaired. Other vehicles have problems with no forseable fix, such as the blowing head gaskets on Tahoes.
6. You aren't alone.

#22 ·
New brakes done first time.

92TripleBlack said:
Read about the brakes.
Dealers have been instructed to turn the rotors 3 times before replacing with the new parts to give them time to get enough produced to catch up with demand.
3Black, I posted on the Meeting Thread but this is a more appropriate place. I took my Armada in to Reed Nissan yesterday. When I dropped it off, the service manager said there were 6 Armadas in front of me waiting for the "fix" and that I would get rotors turned. When they called in the afternoon, they told me that they had put the permanent fix on since they had one in stock. New front rotors/pads and rear pads. This was first time in (4200 miles). No more brake worries. Now if I can get rid of my occassional moonroof rattle that they can "Never Duplicate" at the shop I'd be golden.

#24 ·
Brake Rotor Repair

I just hit 5k miles on my Armada LE when I started to notice that it was making that brake judder that everyone talks about. I took it in to the Santa Maria Nissan with the TSB, and they didnt even look at it. They told me that they would just put new rotor in the front and turn the rear ones. I also had new brakes installed on all 4 wheels. Their service was Awsome! The only thing that I still have is the window rattle. What nissan just did was lub the seals on the window, but it still makes that rattle when the window is partially rolled down.

#25 ·
i realllllly need new rotors...b4 the brake juddering was driving me crazyy the whole 'Mada shook like hell...now for some reason it has stopped a little BUT now the rotors/brakes are making A LOT of noise! Even when you're just driving they make a little screeching sound...and when you stop, Every1 from a mile away can hear the screeching sound...it's crazyy my brakes are grinding it's so badddd..AHHHHH :machinegu well i guess it's back to the dealer time :mad:

#26 ·
Grimlog said:
I used to deal with Pinnacle until one of there detailers backed my Maxima into a wall....and they didn't say anything. Luckily my girlfriend saw it before we left! I have been going to Brown and Brown for a couple of years now. They have been great. Talk to Dustin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.