User Tag List

post #1 of 9 Old 03-11-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
ArmadaShopper
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Question LED Headlight Question

We are currently considering a 2017 Armada SL, and during a test drive down a dark road, we felt as if the illumination was lacking. The lights we extremely bright directly in front of the vehicle, but lacked projecting the upcoming curve in the road, or other objects (road markers and signage), until we were relatively close (I will appoximate ~10 vehicle lenghts). This was corrected when I put the brights on, however one cannot always drive with their high beams on. Furthermore, I felt as if I drove above 40mph I was out driving my lights. What is everyone's experience with the LED headlights on the 2017 Armada?

We currently drive a 2015 Acura MDX with LED lights, and followed the same test drive route, and there was a marked difference in the illumination pattern, specifically how far down the road I was able to see. Since the IIHS hasn't rated the Armada, I am unable to see how they rate the headlight performance, as well as the illumination pattern.

Before commiting to buy a vehicle, we obviously need to determine if this issue is with all Armada's or maybe just the vehicle we test drove.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback. Lastly if there was one major "CON" with the 2017 Armada, please list that as well (besides the dated Entertainment/NAV system).

Last edited by marctronixx; 03-11-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-11-2017, 12:39 PM
thegov3
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

With hi beams on, vision is awesome. Without, they are lacking compared to my other cars. I think the low beams need to be adjusted up from what comes factory setting wise. They are plenty bright. I think they are aimed too low and the cutoff is so sharp, it reduces the distance too much. I plan on trying that.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM
newlyn
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Perhaps the headlights were adjusted downward. There is a dial on the dash, lower left, that allows you to adjust the angle of the headlights downward. It is intended to be used when towing. If the headlights are angled all the way down (and you don't have a heavy weight on the back) you may not be getting illumination at sign height. For normal driving, you want it all the way up.

BTW, on the infotainment system, maybe I am just old-school, but I love the fact that most functions have plain old buttons. I can't stand vehicles that require things to be done via the screen. In fact, I rarely use the screen for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-12-2017, 04:49 PM
tolson37
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Low beams are awesome on mine. Just need to check the adjustment dial on the dash to make sure they're pointing all the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2017 Armada Platinum - aka the "Beast"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 AM
tyoung86
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson37 View Post
Low beams are awesome on mine. Just need to check the adjustment dial on the dash to make sure they're pointing all the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same with our SL - low beams are really bright IMO. I would test drive again and double check the adjustment is set correctly.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
ArmadaShopper
SHIFT_Lurker

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm kind of surprised that the sales associate did not metion the dial adjustment, as both I am my wife complained about difficulty seeing down the road. Will have to see about getting back to the dealership when its dark out to test out the low beams again.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-14-2017, 06:56 AM
Dogue
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Don't be surprised if you teach your salesperson something new.

2012 Armada Platinum
post #8 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 AM
elmatador
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes the dial adjustment on the bottom left will make a substantial difference to the projection. Crank it upward and you will see a drastic change. I usually leave it down for city driving
post #9 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 02:08 AM
kaipo13
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

My SL is very bright.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode