Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

remote start

27K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  daju 
#1 ·
hello everyone, I just picked up a 2012 Armada Platinum. I'm looking for a price range and experience with anyone that has had a remote start installed. I searched here and google but didn't have as much luck on finding info as i thought i would. thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I also would like to possibly get this done, On my 2010 Titanium model, is there a self installed kit or is it best to take it to a audio shop for install. Want to keep the factory remote locks while suv is running. Thanks for any info..

#4 ·
I priced the Viper 5701 Alarm/Remote start system, with install it was around $550. That included the bypass module which is needed for newer auto's.
Just about any Auto Audio business can install them or just use the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I've had them install my new HU and backup camera and they did an excellent job and even kept the steering wheel controls working.

#5 ·
Ive used viper alarms before.
Ill check into them or getting a install
Local. Just want it to work good.

#6 ·
I used a $80 Bulldog Security RS82B and installed myself. The install took about 4hrs but well worth the time knowing it done right. I used the relay kit so my factory fob works. It does not have enough range for my liking but does the job from about 125 ft or less.

#8 ·
Hey Nightowl....can you give me some more details about your install of this? I may have to do this myself. I was looking under the dash of my armada and I see that something was installed at one time...maybe an alarm or a remote start. I will have to check it out further...but my wife would love to have this feature too!

#7 ·
Cool thanks..

#10 ·
Thanks Nightowl, thinking about adding a remote start to the 2010 for my wife for Christmas..Awesome.

#11 ·
Heat shrink tubing, a good solder gun, quality 3m electrical tape, zip ties, test light, multi-meter and patience will be needed. I pulled the instrument cluster for better access to the wires. I have not had one issue since the install and for $80 you cant go wrong with this kit.

#19 ·
I called the local Nissan dealer and ask about a remote start, they recommended a aftermarket but warned me that remote starts is the first thing warranty dept try to pin problems on and that Nissan don't offer a factory remote start unit.
So I called the local car stereo/audio closest to the Nissan dealer.
told him what the dealer said, he laughed and said that's strange considering his shop did 10 or so cars a month remote starts on the Nissans and Local Infinity dealers.
He quoted me using the Viper ovetel $370 bucks Installed, said they warrantied the install against any future electrical problems for as long as we own the car..said install takes 3 to 4 hours and he's been in the business for 20 years installing , System came with a new key fob and everything else worked same as stock. With the issues I been reading about might be good money spent to get a signature on a line for any future problems..I'm thinking.

#20 ·
Hi

I have been installing alarms for awhile and anything after 2005+ (nissan) is a pain in the you know what. I agree with anyone, AFTERMARKET is the way to go period. It drives me nuts to see people literally stand next to their cars and point the FOB to arm/disarm. It is so aggravating to me that people THINK the factory alarm is all save all....I digress...

The thing to think about Nissans when installing is they have 2 ignitions and a factory engine immobilizer that has to be bypassed.
Viper is made by DEI. DEI owns just about all alarms at shops with the exception of a few like Excalibur (which I personally install) and Audiovox. They all do the same it just the ease of installation you will get with some.

The install on average is about 3 -5 hours depending on the car and how much you have to flash for the bypass. Do your homework and ask around. Please do not go to Geek Squad for custom install of your alarm.

I hope my 2cents was ok.

Thanks

-Ambush

#22 ·
so are saying get the aftermarket viper. Excaliber ect ..alarm.remote start combo. Because the
factory nissan.chevy.ford ect are usless???
I had a viper alarm installed on my work truck.

#23 ·
The guy at the Topeka, Ks Geek Squad that installed my aftermarket Stereo and backup camera, did an excellent job and even went over programming the stereo with me. He also set up my phone to work thru the stereo and it is great.
I asked him about installing a remote Remote Start system in my truck, he does those also and he has been doing them for years before he worked there.
I guess it just depends on the techs experience at the stores. You'll just have to talk to them and see what their experience is and go from there. I do know that the price he quoted was about $75 cheaper than a couple of other places I called that primarily do alarm and remote start installs.
I would definitely go back to that store to have them do a remote install with no apprehension whatsoever.

#24 ·
I had a Viper 4806v installed on a 2013 Armada with Geek Squad. The guy had 14 years experience, he did a great job. Also installed the same remote on a 2009 Murano, it too works awesome. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he recommended Best Buy. BB has always backed their work unlike some, not all independent garages. It's hit and miss, one needs to do their homework and shop around.
With heated seats and heated steering wheel, winters are much better in Minnesota. :)

#33 ·
Years ago I had Circuit City install a car stereo in my montero sport. Long story short the installer triggered something that locked my seatbelts and the airbag light came on. My truck was in the shop for almost a month (CC paid for my rental car). I found out through the repair shop at the time that my truck was driven from CC to the shop (not towed, seatbelts were not even functional) and someone from CC (maybe the tech who caused the issue) asked the shop to pull the bulb from the airbag light to make me think it was fixed (maybe save cost for CC). The shop however refused to be liable so they fixed it right (so I assumed). Since that incident the truck had an issue where the engine would die (while idling) when the truck would get rumbled by truck or even a motorcycle. Took it to shops to figure out how to fix that issue but no one could, got annoying. Years later I sold it. Loved that truck until that issue.

Never went back to CC after that.

#27 · (Edited)
Here is my last piece of advice and I will leave this topic alone since it has been beaten to death.
I would suggest anyone taking a look at your wiring (alarm purposes) to kind of familiarize yourself just in case some one is getting slick and telling you need extra stuff.

You should NOT lose a key to make it work. They will need a key just for programming!
If they try to get you to lose a key, go somewhere else.
www.the12volt.com has nice wiring diagrams on all cars for $free.99.
This is just my opinion. Please dont shoot me.

LOL

Thanks

-Ambush

#28 · (Edited)
Ambush, I understand what your saying, Here is what I got in my Email today. is this a good kit to install, I'm tapped out on funds due to the kids Christmas so doing a Remote start right now will have to wait. We are getting the Nissan rubber floormats soon.
Best buy sent me this on a deal of the day, I have a local reputable Freeman car stereo/audio that does most of the Dealer Installs around here I would likely use in the Future or do it myself..I'm curius about this kit from Vipor..Thanks for info..A gremlin Armarda is not the headachs I want.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/viper-4...?id=pcmprd213300050002&skuId=9999214400050002 edit, ok I see this unit has been discontinued on some sites, So for a do it selfer for the Armada which unit would you recommend model number..I have ordered stuff from crutchfield with good results in the past.

#29 ·
No prob liquid. That bypass is great but I am not sure about the model of remote start as I have been away from DEI products for awhile. May have to research. But if that is the cost programmed, installed and no hidden fees plus a lifetime warranty, why not?

Check out http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=5106
Autotoys is my #1 place as they have instructions on how to install and their customer service is TOP notch. They even sell alarm installation accessories/tools as a kit! They have so many alarms to choose from. Just email them.

My second place is Sonicelectronics. They just dont program the bypass that is all.

Now Freeman's on Independence is really good if that is your last choice. I referred a few friends there in the past with great results. If that is out of the way, Auto Toyz on N. Tryon is good too! I used to live near University area and I would go there alot and just learn different things.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

#31 ·
Should ask your installer to use the DBALL bypass module. It has factory alarm integration and control. So basically you can remote start your car with your factory FOB and arm/disarm the alarm with it if you forget the alarm remote. I had this setup in my Murano before I had it replaced.

Otherwise the XpressKit works too which is what I have in both of my cars now. It just doesn't have the full integration so you need always keep the alarm remote with you. Kinda wish I told them to use the DBALL but that was a minor oversight when I got it done. Both units do not require to lose an I-key functionality. And you don't lose any of the I-key functionality.

08 Mada SE : 5000K HID Lows : 4300K HID Fogs : HIR Highs : AR Mainline Chrome 22x9 : Viper 5901
09 Murano SL: 5000K HID Lows : 4300K HID Fogs : HIR Highs : Enkei AKP Chrome 20x8.5 : Viper 5901

#32 ·
Should ask your installer to use the DBALL bypass module. It has factory alarm integration and control. So basically you can remote start your car with your factory FOB and arm/disarm the alarm with it if you forget the alarm remote. I had this setup in my Murano before I had it replaced.

Otherwise the XpressKit works too which is what I have in both of my cars now. It just doesn't have the full integration so you need always keep the alarm remote with you. Kinda wish I told them to use the DBALL but that was a minor oversight when I got it done. Both units do not require to lose an I-key functionality. And you don't lose any of the I-key functionality.

I have never had good luck with those Xpress kit bypasses...
iDataLINK to me is the no brainer. They do have bypass to integrate with factory remote but you have the SAME range as factory when remote starting versus extended range with aftermarket.

Just my 3 cents....I will be installing one this weekend on my wife's honda. she will be fussing since the KEY FOB is the remote and she will have a new remote. LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.