Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

17K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  NHand 
#1 ·
One of my tires isnt registering tire pressure therefore the warning light is on. Will I need to replace all sensors?

#2 ·
One of mine is doing the same thing- I've been lazy and haven't looked but I'd imagine you only need to change out the malfunctioning sensor.

#3 ·
How would we know which is malfunctioning? My mafa doesnt say which. Id think the tire guy will need to look at all 4. Wonder how much that would cost?

#9 ·
Yeah I was just wondering if there would be a concern leaving the light flashing (will in my case it just stays lit). Once the light came on yesterday I checked my pressure and put some air in my tires so I should be good I guess. I'm planning to get some new tires at tax return time in a couple months so maybe I can wait until then to get it looked at.

Other than the annoying light, no :)

Mine flashes then goes solid which indicates a fault in the system (non working sensor). Steady on usually means low pressure. It's been a while since I looked so check the manual for confirmation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Other than the annoying light, no :)

Mine flashes then goes solid which indicates a fault in the system (non working sensor). Steady on usually means low pressure. It's been a while since I looked so check the manual for confirmation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah it flashes when I turn the truck on but then after a bit it stays lit. When I check the tire pressure info in the dash, 3 sensors show PSI and the 4th just has **. Don't know if this confirms a sensor is broken.

#5 ·
I have a 04 Armada, and recently the batteries in the sensors started to get week. The low pressure light would come on and off.
Since the vehicle is almost 12 years old that is good battery life.
I went to Discount Tire and had all the sensors replaced, programmed and tires re-balanced and rotated. Total coast was about $260.00.
I think it was a reasonable price.

#12 ·
Cheapest way to determine which sensor is not working- take air pressure out of each tire and see which one doesn't register the change. If it registers the change, you don't have the right tire. You've got a 1/4 chance of finding the right tire the first time!!!

#15 ·
So I took my mada to pepboys today for an oil change and had them check my TPMS sensor. Apparently they said they did their diagnosis and that all sensors were transmitting. They said one tire was over inflated (which I think was BS because I checked all the tires myself weeks ago) and for me to drive around and the light on my dash will go off. I asked about resetting the system and they said that is a last resort for them to do and that they try not to do it (why??) unless they have to. Well I drove it around and the light never went off as I expected. They didn't charge me for the diagnosis though but if the light doesn't turn off they said to bring it back and they'll reset it. I expected it to be a bad sensor and had already anticipated paying for the replacement.

Is it hard to reset the TPMS system? Is that something I can do or should I take it back to pepboys?

#16 ·
You know I have this same problem on my 2008 Nissan Maxima. I also thought one of my sensors was bad, I took it to discount tire who reset it when I got a set of 4 brand new tires a few months ago. The TPMS light came back on after about 200 miles or so. The light is still on and they told me all sensors are good. And since then I have checked my tires often to maintain the same pressure all around.

If I was you, I guess I would take it for them to reset and then see how soon it comes back again. I plan to take mine back so they can reset it and then if it comes back again, I may ask them to charge me and replace it.

#17 · (Edited)
Well I took it over to Les Scwhab first thing this morning and they hooked up their reader they told me that for some reason it wasn't reading. They said the tire pressure is fine and the sensors are transmitting but I might have to take it to the dealer because it was beyond what they could diagnose. It could be a nissan system issue. Thats the last thing I wanted to hear....take it to the dealer. I mean the TPMS isn't critical for the mada to run efficiently right? As long as I check the tire pressure periodically I should be fine? I do plan on getting it fixed eventually but right now I'm also getting some stuff done to my house so don't want to take on the repair cost just yet.

Has anyone ever tried the steps in this thread to manually reset the TPMS yourself?

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/155508-tpms-reset-2.html

#18 ·
I permanently fixed my TPMS light today. I removed the instrument cluster and snipped the led bulb off the circuit board. Cost = $0 and 20 minutes of my time.

Those TPMS lights are more trouble than they're worth. "Most" people would notice when one of those big balloon Armada tires are looking a little low and check into it.

#19 ·
I had the same issue. I have an '08 LE. When I bought new tires, they told me they were probably just at they end of their battery life. I went ahead and replaced them all. A short while later, I had an issue yet again. They replaced them all again. A year later, same issue. They found the bad one and replaced it yet again. I would guess that yours are all weak and that the one is dead. You most likely should replace all of them and the sad thing is ... battery life in general just isn't as good as battery life was years ago. Make sure that you have warranty on the new ones and make sure that the tire place has good customer service because more that likely, you might have to have them replaced again and again and again .......... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.