Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Cracked Manifolds in California

7K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  nightowl 
#1 ·
So, I'm hearing the start of an exhaust leak, so the obvious first guess is a cracked manifold. I'm in California, so the #1 recommended fix on here (the long tube headers, custom b-pipes, and returning) is not an option for me (also ends up being incredibly expensive).

So what have other Cali Mada owners done in this situation? I see that JBA's shorty headers have CARB EO#'s, so is that, retaining the factory cats and sensors, what most have done? With that solution, the cats need to be welded onto the new headers, which I'm not sure I trust my skills to do. Plus, with mine being 4WD, I'm not sure I have the patience to do the job. Any recommended installation shops in so-cal that have done this work before?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm assuming you are over 80,000 miles?

#5 ·
just over 80k anyway. I got a quote from a local shop for the JBA shorties installed for $1109. wondering how that compares with others.

Not really urgent to get this fixed, as odds are, as lazy as the smog shops are around here, it'll never fail smog from a leaking manifold, but thought it might go on my list of upcoming upgrades for when some money falls in my lap.

#7 ·
Nissan knows this is a recurring problem with our truck, might be worth a call to Nissan Corporate to see if they'll make an exception. Get them to pay 75% of the cost? Better than nothing.......

#8 ·
Ha! Wife just got home with the truck, and I'm at 79780... :). I guess the best thing is, for now, to have them replace it for free, and then down the road, the next time it cracks, go with the headers. Would have been nice to have the extra mileage/power, but not $1100 that I don't really have nice.

#9 ·
Good deal. Don't let the dealer tell you it isn't covered under the emissions warranty, because it definitely is.

Keith

#10 ·
Well, I could see their point in arguing, as the long term parts warranty does NOT cover exhaust manifolds (they are listed under the short term 24,000 mile warranty), but it does cover Catalytic Convertors. Its just convenient for use that on these vehicles, they are the same part.

#11 ·
Over at the titantalk forum, members have repeatedly said...the original manifold will crack between 60,000 miles and 90,000 miles. I did a survey of 18 people, and the average mileage for problems seems to be about 77,000 miles.

If you get a factory replacement from nissan, that set will crack again at another 15,000 miles or less. and they won't replace it again. Some members who used the factory setup have replace ( at their own cost of $2,500) 3-4 additional times........and then they got the message.
The only legal ( california) replacement is the JBA shorty headers with the factory cats welded to them, and they seem to never crack after that. Theres a guy at titantalk with over 200,000 miles and never cracked again, always passes smog, and runs like a rabbit,
When one of us Armada guys have this issue, you need to go over to titan talk forum......the problem....and final ( cheaper) solution is talked about every day

#12 ·
Over at the titantalk forum, members have repeatedly said...the original manifold will crack between 60,000 miles and 90,000 miles. I did a survey of 18 people, and the average mileage for problems seems to be about 77,000 miles.
On my 2006, I had them replaced at about 65,000 miles. I sold the truck with around 85,000 miles (if I remember correctly), and the manifolds were still fine. My 2012 has ~26,000 miles, so far so good.

#13 ·
Just to bring the thread to a close. I took it to a local dealer and they had no problem with it. Replaced both sides, even though only one was obviously cracked. They laughed about the mileage, which was VERY close to 80,000. Done the same day, and I'm good for a while. Still, will put it into my budget to do a shorty header job at some point in the future, as I'm sure these will crack again at some point, especially with the towing I do often. In hind sight, I should have asked for the old parts back, to cut and reuse the cats for the header job, but don't think they are obligated to return parts on warranty work. Probably better off using my brand new cats in the final setup anyway.

#14 ·
Nissan dealers will play stupid with these cracked manifold issues. I guess they are trained a certain way to act and talk with customers that have the issue on their truck. I hear a lot of the same stories from customers all over the country with these manifold issues. Most dealerships act like the cracked manifold is very rare and a freak problem. All you have to do is just google it and you can make their head spin...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.