Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Has anybody Replaced their Brake Booster?

34K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  stevehogg 
#1 ·
The dealer told me that i need to replace my brake booster because there are sensors on the back side that are bad. But apparently you cant replace the sensors with out replacing the booster.

This is all do to the ABS brakes enagaging automatically. Ther re-programmged the ECU once before for $100 and that lasted me a whole 4 days.

It is really dangerous and i dont like driving it this way.

#2 · (Edited)
If you search on Brake Booster you will find many threads listing it, but most brake problems have been fixed by resetting or flashing the ABS module.

I have not had the brake problem since they performed a reprogram of the ECM based on the TSB.
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/200

However, the things listed are for the brakes not working properly like abs failure and not for the ABS engaging automatically. So you may need it done.

#3 ·
Took it in on july 1st and they said it was the brake booster that needs to be changed, they did the re-program of the ECM at the beginning of the year and changing the booster is the next step, if the ECM re-program did not work. $787.88 later so far no light.

#4 ·
Yeah i am afraid of that hefty price tage for something that the manufacture should cover NO MATTER what.

When i called Nissan Corp they said that the TSB wasnt for my year of Mada and only for 2004. I told them they probably used the same dang parts since i seriously doubt that the booster or the sensors we change at all from one year to the other. They just said sorry. Jerk off's!

#6 ·
It's not that bad, I have replaced them before. I separate the master cylinder from the booster and it makes it easier.

#7 ·
My 09 booster started leaking air. The Dealer wanted $840 to replace the booster. Got one at Oriellys for $240 and replaced it in 2 hours in the driveway with simple hand tools. You do have to disconnect the hard brake lines and remove the master cylinder and abs distribution block along with the airbox. Not a tough job. Just take your time so you don't F up the hard brake lines.
It's just nuts and bolts...

#11 ·
I Just replaced my OEM 04 Mada brake booster with a Parts Geek rebuilt booster.
As soon as we fired it up and went for a drive the darn thing started abs activation each time I pressed the brake pedal.
I had to remove the abs fuse to be able to drive it.
Does anybody know anything on how to fix it?

#13 ·
I just replaced my booster with a after market booster and all hell broke loose.
Thing would not stop activating the darn ABS and of course the brake light came on every time I braked.

Anyone got any ideas.?
That's not comforting to hear! I just had my first brake failure last week. It seems like it's an Armada rite of passage. I took it to the dealer who said I need to replace the master vac assembly which is basically the brake booster. Quote was $630 parts and $240 labor. He did say he would install the part for $240 if I bought one myself and brought it to the dealership. I figured an after market one like A1 Cardone might not have the faulty delta sensor that seems to be the problem with the OEM Boosters. Anyone else having issues like 49er Joe when installing aftermarkets???

#17 ·
49er Joe and dustydis2012

Did you bother replacing the vacuum hose, booster bracket, check valves and gaskets? I figured at the least I should replace the gasket that connects the BMC to the booster? Also, all the brake boosters come with the delta sensor included right? I appreciate all the info! :bow:

#16 ·
A1 Cardone was the aftermarket brand that I used originally.
As soon as I started my Mada up and put on the brakes, BOING BOING BOING. The brake light came on and the anti's were engaging. Tried turning it off and on, then stepping on the E brake and releasing it. Nothing worked.
I wish I had the secret sauce you got, or a better part. When I sent an email to the Parts Geeks asking what the secret sauce was, they sent me a return authorization.
Man I am currently having to drive it without the antl-lock brake fuse in.
It works but shoot kinda spooky seeing the SLIP, Anti, VDC and brake lights on all the time.
I feel like I'm in Vegas on a slot machine.
lol

On to the next. . . . .booster

#19 ·
I just replaced mine today...took my time...took about 2 hours. ITs a tight fit in there and I needed a hand to get the new one in and lined up with the firewall holes. Not too bad over all...and way better than the stealerships $800 price tag!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.