Leaking auto load-leveling suspension...help! - Page 21 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #201 of 202 Old 09-08-2016, 06:20 PM
cramblda
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
cramblda is on a distinguished road
Which O-Ring

I took the factory o-ring to Seal Source (an O-Ring and Seal specialty shop) in Portland, OR. They couldn't match the factory o-ring exactly, but they gave me their closest match which had a slightly smaller inside diameter and was just slightly thicker in the cross section.

They said the o-ring size was 4 x 8 mm. ( I think it's a 4mm ID, 8mm OD, and 2mm Cross Section )

I replaced all four o-rings. One at each shock, and the two on the air pump. The two in the shocks were pretty hard to get the white tube back in the fitting, I assume due to the tighter inside diameter/cross section. When I pushed the fitting into the shock, I could feel the o-ring springing the fitting back out a bit. I did use some of the TFE paste on the white tube that inserts into the fitting / o-ring. I tried both with and without TFE, didn't make the fit any easier without, so I decided to stick with a little TFE paste for extra seal. I eventually was able to get the tubes to slide in on the shocks. The Air Pump fittings seemed to fit fairly easy, even with the new o-rings.

The air seems to be holding, haven't checked with a trailer on yet.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 202 Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 AM
F4N4EVR
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
F4N4EVR is on a distinguished road
On top of the compressor is a little box. The compressor intake goes into the bottom of the box. Inside the box is a pressure relief valve. On top of the box is a rubber cover to the valve (1/2" dia circle). Once the compressor is contaminated due to nissan not filtering or desicating the intake air, the compressor will pump the contaminants through the compressors internal plumbing, to the pressure relief valve. Once the crap gets into the valve, it will leak down continuously. The rate of leak down equates to how much dirt is inside the compressor. After I replaced my o-rings, I saw that the sleeve that the o-rings slide into is made of plastic and can move. So you can seal the crap out of the o-rings and still have minute leaks that only open under road vibration. I followed a previous air system navigators advice on the forum and JB Welded all the air line connections. I replaced, then sealed the compressor air intake line to the compressor body, (oem line is cheapo rubber and breaks down and starts contaminating the system with rubber dust in less than a year) and added an intake filter and dessicator to clean and dry the intake air before it enters the compressor. At the 1.5 year mark, the compressor only runs for a minute or two at start up. A great addition to the factory air system is a set of Firestone air bags!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode