Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Buzzing noise with light acceleration

11K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  CHuntMD 
#1 · (Edited)
Buzzing noise with light acceleration - SOLVED

Drove to Ohio and back last weekend and noticed two issues. OEM muffler is shot after 9 years. That is a easy fix except keeping the drone out ;)

Here is the weird problem. Using light gas pedal I hear a buzzing which sound from the engine bay on driver's side. I can not hear at idle in park. You can hear it at hiway speed on flat road light pressure on gas pedal as well as starting from a stop. No difference with engine cold or hot. If I put a little more pressure on the gas pedal the buzzing goes away.

So you all don't think I'm to crazy I've uploaded a recording (MP3)of it as I was driving in my neighborhood. CA only allows pictures so it's at my Google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7N28I5DChpvbzRwYVNNUk0yYzA/edit?usp=sharing

#2 · (Edited)
A couple of things to check:
1- heat shields - the spot welds break over time and rattle
2- metal straps holding exhaust pipe in place. They rust and break over time.
3- skid plate bolts - make sure they are tight, the plate will rattle especially under acceleration
4- the flat metal plate under the oil pan - check the bolts. last time i went to chg the oil 1 of 4 was missing. Need to replace it as it rattles on take off now.

#4 ·
#6 ·
The borla sounds great. Went from MD to Wilmington NC beach for a week of vacation. No drone at all and it seems quieter at hiway until you give it moderate gas pedal action. Stomp on it and it's throaty roar. Going down to NC with the pack filled with stuff I could hear more going through the gears getting to 70+mph. On the back I didn't notice it but it a lot less traffic.

This AM 35mile commute I didn't notice the gear change at all. Got the kit at Amazon (750ish) and had it installed for $200.

CEH

#7 ·
Wilmington , nc is a awesome place to Vacation, Lots to do. So is your rattle gone..

#9 ·
I went with: Borla 140088 Cat-Back System Exhaust.

Some folks especially on TitanTalk just go with with a Borla muffler but the one they use is 18" long. The one in the kit is huge with 2 inlets and 2 outlets. The whole kit weighs in at 67 pounds. With the Titans the bed and cab are separated so their sound will be a lot different even with the same engine IMHO.

CEH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.