Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

went in for an oil change and...

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  primoV8 
#1 ·
2 hours later the advisor shows me a list of things they found wrong with the armada.

1. Cracked exhaust manifold. (which I knew of already but they play dumb last time I took it in)

2. leaking thermostat housing

3. oil leak somewhere in the engine

4. battery failed test. (should still have auto zone warranty)

The manifolds are getting replaced under warranty and he will try to cover the rest under warranty as well. I have the 7 yr 70k mile gold plan but still waiting for the call and some lame excuse why its not covered under warranty.

oh well what a fun day at the stealership.

#2 ·
so got the call. Nissan wants 280 to replace the thermostat.

the oil leak is coming from the PVC valve that's around the timing housing area. I think that's what he called it. anyhow they want 400 for that job.

any one done this kind of job on their own?

#6 ·
Yeah they want 130 for parts and 150 labor.
The housing is 45 from nissan. The thermostat itself is fine. Its the housing gasket that's leaking.

Gonna tackle it this week.

Do I need to drain the coolant
? Some sites say yes and some say no. Only remove the hose and hold it up so not to spill coolant but won't that get air in the system?

#7 ·
I just replaced the thermostat last month and it was fairly easy. The plastic neck has no gasket; the thermostat has a rubber seal around it and that itself acts as the gasket. The thermostat was less than $25 from Nissan.
I didn't drain the coolant since I did a drain and fill last summer. I don't even think half a quart even spilled out when I removed and replaced the hose.

After installation, I turned the heat up on High, gave it a couple revs right around to 3K and let idle for about 10 mins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.