Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

On-Board Tire Pressure Readings

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  marctronixx 
#1 ·
Just how accurate is the electronic on-board tire pressure readings?

Mine show up to a two psi difference between the four tires; this just after Tire Discounters tells me they are all equal and at the correct pressure. Which should I trust to be correct? Note that I am using nitrogen in my tires.

#2 ·
I'd be happy if the thing would tell me which tire has what pressure in it. I just get 4 pressure readings without knowing which tire is which. haha..

Personally I would trust the TPMS before I trusted the shop's 50 year old analog dial gauge that gets used and abused 10 hours a day.

#4 ·
My only thought about the nitrogen is the equipment they use to dispense it. I feel like its pressure readings might be more accurate than a standard air compressor tank.

I just bought a digital tire pressure gauge from Home Depot to see what it reads. Wonder how accurate it's reading will be?

#6 ·
Marc- You are correct at a 2 psi difference in what difference does it make. However, it has been as high as a 5 psi difference immediately after having my local Tire Discounters check my nitrogen pressure levels. This discrepancy in addition to my self-admitted OCD drives me crazy.

So, regarding the on-board information screen, does anyone know which tire each of the readings correspond with?

#7 ·
nitrogen should not fluctuate at ALL! I had it in some 24 inch wheels for about 3 years and the pressure was solid. if you are getting 5psi or more difference, you may not have nitrogen in your tires and/or the sensors on the wheels may need adjusting/re-calibrated.

only the Q tells you which tire on the info scree. the armadas dont have that option. you are going to have to let air out three of the tires or something similar to figure out which is which.

#8 ·
nitrogen should not fluctuate at ALL!
All gasses will fluctuate in pressure based on temperature. Nitrogen does absolutely nothing for fuel economy, noise, or ride comfort, PERIOD.

#9 ·
yes if course, however im speaking from experience and i had nitrogen in 24 inch wheels for 3 years and the psi was consistent. thats MY experience. 5psi is crazy with nitrogen in my opinion.

my post did not speak on petrol economy or any of that other nonsense you posted. i am speaking merely on the psi fluctuation. :rolleyes:

i agree with you in that nitrogen does nothing for those other topics...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.