Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Burning Oil While Towing?

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  liquid1 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon All:

I have been noticing that I burn oil while towing since I am always losing oil after a trip. Just had an oil change (at Nisssan) 2 weeks ago - the following weekend we went camping about 40 minutes from our house on level roads - no highway traveling. Since that time there has only been local traveling around town without towing. Since the oil change there has probably only been about 100 miles put on the truck. I checked the oil yesterday before a big trip to Rhode Island and it appears that I was a quart low already! Any ideas?

#2 ·
Did you confirm for sure that you were full up on oil after you got your oil changed? Do not assume they fill to the top mark on the dipstick, especially at a dealer.

#4 ·
Where does it read on the dip stick after 6.5 quarts added after a change? My 05 has always read in the middle of low high when full with 6.5 quarts. 100k on the odo and never had to add oil in-between changes. The 5.6 is not known to use oil even the high mile trucks. If it reads below the full line after a change of 6.5 quarts with filter Do Not Fill to Full Line.

#5 ·
It reads just above L and looks bone dry through H. That is why I am a little concerned. I have a warranty on the truck still so I will speak with Nissan about it. I am going to check the level again today and plan to add 1 quart and then check in the AM before our return trip.

#6 ·
I would bring it up to the half point between low/high for the return trip. Change your oil and filter using 6.5 quarts and see where the level on the dipstick. Wherever it lands is your full mark. Most read between the two marks.

#7 ·
6.5? Maybe different year different oil amounts? Mine 2010 and 7 quarts gets her perfect. What is your mileage and year? I'm at 84k and no oil burning with 7-8k OCI. Before you think burning check your valve covers for a little seepage. Use a flashlight, it can be hard to find.

Our engines aren't know for burning but if you are only burning a little (say quart) over 5k miles; as much as it can drive you crazy, it is considered normal by probably all vehicle manufacturers.

#9 ·
My 2005 manual states 6.5 quarts with filter change. This puts my level right between the L and H marks. Looks like the 2010 model states 6 7/8 quarts with filter. Many owners of Titans and Armada’s are over filling by adding until oil is at the full line.

#11 ·
Oil Leak Update

A quick update - I took the vehicle into Nissan and they ran some tests - gave me an oil change, made sure everything was full, made me drive around for a few weeks and then go back for an oil check - well, after driving only about 300 miles in 3 weeks with no towing, we were 2.5 quarts LOW! They are now trying to get authorization for a NEW MOTOR. Truck only has 35K miles on it. I have spoken to a few mechanic friends and received all of their opinions, I would like your thoughts out there? Also, what options do I have and how should I play this card? Please help me - I'm getting a little disconcerted with Nissan. I had an 09 Altima that blew a transmission at 60K miles, we are having this truck issue, and I also have a 12 Altima that is slipping very bad that started around 75K miles.

#13 ·
35K and using 2.5 quarts in 300 miles it nuts, my 2010 takes 7 quarts to get it right on full mark. Any solution to this issue yet. That's very low miles for sure..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.