Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Tire recommendations

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ntrddragn 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and to Armada ownership. I purchased my 04 armada two weeks ago. It has 63,000 miles on the clock and the Goodyear SR-A's are approaching the end of their life. I have looked through the sticky's, but to be honest it's kind of overwhelming. I'm looking for a good all season tire with good wear life. Most of our driving is highway driving. We live in central Indiana so good snow performance is a required. What are your recomendations?

#2 ·
#4 ·
Michelin LTX MS2.....once you buy them you will never go back....worth the extra money if you are keeping it forever! I am at 82k and heading into another winter!!
Ditto for the MS2, although I can't vouch for them in winter, we don't get snow here where I live!

#6 ·
I have been looking at the michelins, but not sure if I want to drop that much money at the moment. Does anyone have any experience with the Hankook DynaPro HT? They have the same tread wear warranty and consumer reports rated them close to the michelins.

#8 ·
I have a 2008 with factory 20's. Came with Michelins. They were shot at just under 40k miles. Tire guy told me he had great success with Hankooks and they were $300+ less so I put those on a day before a road trip to NC. They rattled my family the whole way there. Had them re-balanced in NC and they rattled us the whole way back. Dealer checked them and replaced 2. They rattled me for a couple more weeks and I couldn't see putting up with that for what should be the life of the tires so I took them back. Dealer replaced with OEM style Michelins for the cost difference and I knew within a couple hundred feet of driving that my baby was back and I was happy for another 60,000. Or so I thought. See, before the Armada, I bought a 2004 Titan which had the 18" Goodyear SR-A's, which must be the sorriest POS tire made. Rides hard, wears fast, has no traction wet or dry and is very noisy. At around 28,000 miles after hydroplaning at 50 MPH I replaced them with Firestone Destination LE's and had the front end aligned. The truck drove perfect for 80,000 and I put on anther set that was still performing well when the truck was retired. Back to the Armada. When I tried the Hankooks, I had requested the Firestone Destination LE,s but was told they were not available for the 20" rims. After 60,000 miles on the 2nd set of Michelins they were done, so back to my tire guy. This time he had Firestone Destination LE2's that would fit my Armada's 20's for around $750 out the door. Now this is why I brought up the Titan. I always felt the Armada's handling was kinda nervous or twitchy because I compared it to my titan. I had it aligned 3 times by the dealer, but it never felt like it wanted to go straight until I put the Firestones on. I can honestly say that at 153,000 miles(over 50,000 on these Firestones) it handles better than it did in the first 100,000 with Michelins. I'm not bashing Michelins, I've owned many and have never had a failure with a Michelin. Up till now you could call me a Michelin man, but this Summer when rainy season starts around June, I'm getting some more Destination LE2's. FYI I rarely drive outside FL, so I have no opinion about ice and snow traction as I have rarely seen these events.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.