Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Saving gas is too expensive....

7K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  liquid1 
#1 ·
So I've been looking on what I am spending on gas for the Armada and I discovered I am at about $400 / month (yikes).

This past weekend I had the opportunity to drive a Hyundai Elantra. I was amazed and how far Hyundai's have come along as well as impressed at 4 cylinders in general. The real kicker is that it's MPG estimate is 30/38 MPG city / highway.

So it got me thinking, how about getting one of these for my daily commute and leaving the Armada for when I need the room / hauling capacity / snow performance?

I ran some numbers and found that I can get a used one in the neighborhood of $12k. Figure I would triple my gas mileage (I average 10-12 MPG with the Armada), reducing my monthly gas bill.

I called my insurance company and it turns out that the insurance cost is more on the Elantra than on my Armada and my M3! Their reasoning is that both those cars are safer and would cause less damage to occupants and any vehicle I hit (not sure how a dinky Elantra would cause more damage than my 5600 lbs. monster truck?).

My math for the Elantra says:
$12,000 purchase price

+ $125 / month ~ $1500 / year insurance
+ $300 / year maintenance / registration
- $2000 / year gas savings (estimated)
= -$200 savings per year
= 60 years to recoup my initial investment

I was really expecting a cheap used car to be much much cheaper to insure than what the insurance company wanted but I was wrong.

The other options I have are:

- Sell the Armada: No way. Not only will I take a bath I *heart* my baby and have no intention on selling it.
- Drive the M3 to work: I do this occasionally, but driving a stick in traffic is the worst and I'm too paranoid of getting dings / scratches in the parking lot as no matter how far away I park people make up their own spots next to me.
- Slow down: I've tried this and still have yet to break 13 MPG going to and from work. My heavy winter tires (Goodyear Duratracs) and heavy summer wheels (20" Titan Heavy Metal) I'm sure are a huge factor.
- Suck it up and pay: This seems to be the most likely outcome.

I'm curious what others do in an effort to save gas?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you answered your question. LOL. Honestly, I just got my wife a 528xi. She is using that as a commuter now. So I'm driving her old commuter which is a 2002 honda accord. I drive it here an there so I don't wear out the armada to much (is/was my commuter). Since I already have the honda, I didn't have to invest in another car. I guess maybe u can get a 3000 humpty? Drive it and throw it away for scraps later?

sent from broken autoguide app.

#3 ·
Suck it up! I drive my Armada from PA to DC weekly and back. You will hate being in a small car in traffic as you will get less respect by drivers.

#5 ·
Between my work van (E350) and the Armada, I just look at it as "it is what it is" and suck it up. Neither gets better than 13 mpg, even if you lighten up on the accelerator not going to help. 500-600 miles a week on the van, which I drive less aggressively because it's usually full, but really look forward to the weekend, where the Armonster GOES and stops and is way more fun to drive!!

#8 ·
We picked up a 00 Honda Odyssey a few years ago and it saved me a lot of money. I chose the odyssey cuz Honda parts are cheap and there's lots of leg room for my family plus it drives like a dam car. I drive the hell out of this van while the Mada sits in the garage. I use to fill up the Mada once-twice a wk....Now it's once every 2 months. I use to spend over $400 a month on gas. Now I spend $150-$200 a month gassing up the Honda.

#9 ·
The trick is always fill up before your gauge drops below half a tank.

#10 ·
1500/year on insurance is crazy for just the Hyundai is crazy. I pay just a wee bit more than that for 4 vehicles- all newer/nicer (with the exception of the Miata).

The whole "buy a new(er) small car for cheaper gas bills" is pure marketing bunk. It feels good but as you found out, the numbers don't work out. Yet so many people fall for it, especially when gas prices climb quickly.

I'm still suffering from some misguided psychological trauma going from my 28/33 MPG on my TSX to my 20/22 on my G37xS. Every time I look at the trip computer and see my lower MPG, it bothers me. In reality though, it's chump change. Especially when you consider the higher smiles/gallon with the VQ in the G37xS! Yet even my wife will fuss about the "bad" gas mileage on the G. This coming from the woman who drives the 14/15 MPG QX!!!!

At least you did the analysis and saw the cheap car option is not nearly as cheap as it seems!!!

#11 ·
I'm lucky my wife is a stay at home mom and self employed has a few small businesses.
She drives the heck outa the armada, and I drive it on weekends as I love driving it, I cant say that about our older Expeditions. We go trough 1 tank a week easy, I hardly drive my pickup unless I am hauling around toys. I am fortunate enough to have a Dodge 5500 Cummings work truck I drive all week, So all we have to worry about is keeping my wife rolling, and what better way than the 4x4 Armada.. I'm itching to see how it will handle our 6x12 enclosed trailer..so I can keep my F150 parked..wahooo

#12 ·
LOL - I guess everyone is right - got to "Man Up" with the gas prices.

I suppose what throws me is all these people saying they get 17 - 18 MPG and even the new EPA estimates stating 19 MPG highway. I couldn't get even close those when I was bone stock in the break in period - with the engine on anyway.

A commuter car it's as economical as one would like to think according to my numbers. Greener sure, but not cheaper.

#13 ·
I can get 17 on the highway. I've got to keep it right at 60 and not loaded or anything. In other words, not a normal drive...especially the 60 part :D

#15 ·
Yall guys are killing me here, Guess I need to do a manual math check, As my monitor consistently reads 10 to 14 mpg city and 19.2 mpg hiway have seen better, this is driving like a baby. what contributes to the armada's low milage. the Sequia has same issue as its big engine and weight loves fuel, I know for fact the armada gets better than our Expy 4.6L did which was average 14 mpg 16 mpg hi way, The Armada does and goes more on less gas and at 87 octane vs 89/91 due to the expy spark knocking. nicer with more torque/power and can tow 9K. Now as long as the Armada can go trouble free for almost 200K like the Expy did over a 8 year period I will be happy..

i

#16 ·
No doubt "baby" is the right term in order to get the 17ish highway. Others who get higher may be running 2WD or lacking the gearing of the two package. No matter, the gas mileage is what it is.

#19 ·
Ha when I do this I can watch the Gauge drop and the monitor tells me 7mpg. Yes its a fun SUV Dragster to have, Cant even feel the weight going straight..The Armada even stops good tooo..:thumbup:

#20 ·
Ya I know on our trips out west we can average anywhere from 19 to 21 on I40. But it's a 2wd non big tow with intake and a magnaflow muffler. With my pro4x on the same trip the best I could get was about 17.5 before the lift and tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#22 ·
Yeah, I don't think any decent car on the planet can be paid for with gas savings alone, in a reasonable amount of time. Not unless you drive an extreme number of miles per year.

That said, I drive a Prius as my daily driver. Pushing 145k miles and total maintenance cost so far (not counting tires, gas and oil changes) is a grand total of $42 so far. Even so, If I had to choose one or the other, I'd keep the Armada. Just can't seem to get the Prius to tow our two draft horses :)

I try to never use the term "investment" when considering car purchases.

#23 ·
A car can never be looked at as an investment. Unless you are talking about a Ferrari 250 GTO, an Aston Martin DBR1 or something of the like.

I honestly don't know how some guys here say they are achieving those high MPG numbers, I'm averaging 15 MPG on my QX 2WD and I drive it like a grandpa. I've thought about getting a used 4 cyl, maybe an 03-05 Corolla, Camry, Accord or Civic (the QX is currently my DD) but that would mean adding a third vehicle to my insurance (I have a 300zx as my fun car :D). I love the QX and I can not see my self getting rid of it, besides I need something to tow the Z and trailer to the track ;)

drauden, you are absolutely right! That's exactly what I do.

Rob

#25 · (Edited)
I have not went on any type of trip yet since we got the 2010 big tow 4x4 to do a math check, Guess I can do one for around town and mixed country and some I State driving. I have learned the Armada when having fun is a huge Gas drinker like a Drag car. That is Fact, I find my self just barely tapping gas pedal enough to move the Armada then just coast around, Just knowing I have plenty there if I need it at the slight tap of my foot is freakin Awesome!!

#26 ·
I have a 00 E320 that I use as my commuter car. My wife has an 07 camry that she uses for work. The Mada is usually garaged during the week and it comes out on the weekends when we take our daughter out. She really only rides in the Mada because its bigger and we feel safer with her in it.

We are planning to head to the SF bay area this weekend but have been debating on taking the Mada or the wife's Camry because the gas prices have been creeping up and probably going to keep going up because summer is approaching.

#27 ·
Yea I've had to just let the dream go. I love my Armada too much to trade it for a 4 banger.

The traffic really kills my gas mileage - I can do much better keeping a constant speed than the stop and go. That's not my choice though.

I'm hoping the summer blend gas will also improve things.

#28 ·
We have the Rental path finder right now, looks like a murano not sure where there market is, it will fly Nissan knows how to make speed. It has a long rubber band. That said its not for us, My wife has been in a bad car wreck and she will only own/drive a truck like size SUV. Maybe the newer rubbicon 4 door but still its a Truck chassis style frame, All I own is larger trucks, I use them for recreation and work, Totally understand having a gas sipper instead of a gas drinker funds for gas suck with any kind of automobile these days, With food and oil sky rocketing its a tough balance. Guess that's why a lot more people lease any more with new car prices going up.
The prius is nice its hi tech but 5 grand for batteries when they go out is crazy. But it gets 40 mpg and for some it might all work out.
NC gas tax is crazy high, SC is 40 cents cheaper, I been thinking about making a few runs down there with a tank. seriously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.