Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Need Advice on Purchase...

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  liquid1 
#1 ·
Hey All. I'm new here. I've been searching for a car that will accommodate my family (three kids) and my wife. We narrowed it down to an Armada or QX56 which we really like but is outside our price range. Here is a current offer we have that I'm strongly considering but can't help but feel like I'd be settling so that is where the advice from you all is needed:

2007 Armada SE
118,000 miles (car came from Georgia)
2 accidents listed on Carfax but I'm told they were minor... Not sure about that
2 wheel drive

No upgrades at all but cloth interior and everything else looks great.

Total cost with NYC tax and tags is $13,600. I believe this includes a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. That is the "cash" price. The financing price would have been a couple of thousand more.

Does this sound like a good deal? Living in NY, I'd prefer a 4 wheel drive. Our budget was $13K max so we would be extending ourselves a bit. I'd be find with a 2006 and really wanted a sunroof but not really finding anything when adding tax to the prices out there.

Also, I'm mechanically inclined but I need something low maintenance. We had an offer to buy a 2006 LR3 for less than the Armada and while I really like the LR3, I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with the maintenance costs.

See less See more
#2 ·
How much of the above price is tax and fees? I think I just saw someone on here land a 06 loaded for about that price...

#4 ·
There hard to find cheap and in good condition for under 20K with low miles, the Cash for clunkers program has skyrocketed the Used car market, Darn shame but I guess some people benefited from it. I looked for 2 months before running up on the 2010 Armada and I feel good about the deal we got but it was still way more than I had originally had planned to spend, Everything I looked at for months in SUV form with 100K miles had a 20K sticker on it, I did find a sweet Lexus 4x4 for 18 grand but my wife said it was way to small, I liked it myself . I only buy 4x4 and we came from a 1997 Expedition. Heck we just had 10K in damages from a flying trampoline done to our new to us Armada. The neighbors waiting on Insurance to settle up to get it repaired asap.
Good luck the 2006 armada's are nice.

#8 ·
I found an '04 QX56 with 125,000 miles that is loaded (nav, sunroof, DVD, Leather, etc) for $12K from a private seller. It has been driven in the city unlike the '07 that came from Georgia. Do you guys think the QX56 is a better deal than the '07 Armada? I can't help but feel that an '07 with high miles, no Leather, no nav, no sunroof, no DVD, etc and 2WD would be settling despite their discounted price.

#9 ·
Any QX to my knowledge is top of the line, Infinity service centers might be more than the Nissans, But that year I think is similar to the Armadas. Not sure about the deal but check out car deals.com and Edmunds and other used certified centers dealerships and do a search in that area for what your looking at.. Getting a 4x4 for me is a must. sounds like a nice suv, if the seller has all his maintenance records, I am the 2nd owner of out 2010. it looked show room new when we bought it 2 months ago.
Don't trust carfax, get the vin numbers and run them at your local dealer.

#10 ·
the 2004-2010 QX are the same as the armada just more plush and luxury. same bump steer, brakes (i think mostly the 04) issues. I would check it out. see that the owner did to it and the condition. if you like it, just tell the owner to take it to the dealership and have them do an inspection. u can pay for it if things turns out well, and he can pay for if it doesnt and he is unwilling to fix it.

#12 ·
So... after a long search, I found an '05 Armada for $11,500 with 93,000 miles from a dealer and an '04 QX56 with 97K miles from a private seller. He was asking $12,000 originally but has come down to $10,500. Both cars look to be in very good condition, no accidents, and have been well-maintained.

In the beginning, I really liked the QX56 but the negative reviews of the '04 scares me to death. What is you all opinion? '05 Armada or '04 QX56? Which do you think is more reliable?

#13 ·
ntrddragn has an 04 mada, which is mechanically same as 04 qx an he loves his. I have an 05 mada and will be loving mine after I finish up some stuff on it.
The good thing about either is that that model year has been around a long time and we know pretty much all the common issues with them. The other nice thing is that they are VERY easy to work on... at least the Armadas are. I would say apply the same list that we gave you earlier to these two, get them inspected by INDEPENDENT mechanic, and go with the one you like the best. Thing to keep in mind is if you will need center bench or center captain chairs.

#16 ·
You best post pics! lol
We have a small but present QX community on here so.... don't feel like you need to leave. haha IIRC the year QX you picked up is still a mechanical clone to the Armada so all mechanical issues can be touched on here.

#17 ·
The QX is very nice, Congrats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.