Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Armada 2006 Roof Top Cargo Box - Readdressed

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JESEBOY22 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am needing to put a cargo box on my 2006 Nissan Armada. I have read through many posts about this on this forum. From what I've read the following work with the 2004-2007 Nissan Armada's factory rack with the large 43-45" crossbar spread:

-Sears X-Cargo XL 20, you have to redrill the holes, but it fits.
-Yakima Skybox 18 or 21. Yakima says it wont work, but I see some posts that it will.

Many of these posts are pretty old. Has anyone tried this out on the latest Yakima boxes? Do they still work or has the spacing changed. Please don't say from Yakima's specs it doesn't look like it will fit because as others have already posted the specs say one thing, but they actually do fit. So does anyone know if the newer boxes have the same mount spread as the older boxes and have they tried them on the factory racks for the 2004-2007 armadas and do they fit?

It looks like, from the owners manual, that Nissan used to make a crossbar that you can add to the back part of the factory rack to mount the cargo box near the rear, but Nissan doesn't make it anymore. Plus I would rather put the money into a better box.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Isaac

See less See more
#2 ·
Any car top box will work with a drill, some bolts/nuts/lockwashers. and some door hinge plates from home depot.

#3 ·
Have you considered a hitch rack (assuming you have a hitch)? I went with the hitch rack option because 1) easier to load verses getting up on the roof, 2) less drag which helps with MPG's especially on a roadtrip, 3) cheaper alternative, and 4) I believe a hitch rack can carry more weight (500lbs). I also got a hitch rack bag which you put all your stuff in the bag (luggage, cooler, etc.) and close it up to protect it from rain/dirt/etc. and it attaches to the rack.

Also when I get to my destination, if your able to, I like to take the rack off so I don't need to drive around with it on if not necessary. For instance when we go visit the in-laws in So Cal, I keep the rack in their garage while we drive around town. Although it doesn't necessarily need to come off if you have the folding arm.

Just another option I guess.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.