Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Sunroof leaks when parked in an angle

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dz108 
#1 ·
I have some sunroof leakage (@2011 Platinum). I was able to verify that there is no leakage when I'm parked on an even surface. The dealer tested it with a hose, and I went thru a carwash tunnel twice - not a drop went in.

But... when I'm parked in an angle (car facing up or down a road), there seems to be some water buildup and a noticeable leakage. I'm going to the dealership again on Monday for them to check the seal. The seal does not look dry or cracked.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Also - I suspect that since I'm in an incline, some water drips on the passenger seat, since the angle does not let the water go thru to the drains. I'm going to have them check if the drains are also clogged.

thoughts anyone?

#2 ·
First off, your sunroof seal is only there to slow the water down. Your sunroof is designed to take on water, hence the drains (4). When you park on an incline/decline you are overwhelming the drain on that corner. That said, yes have your dealership check/clear the drains

#3 ·
Thanks, I'll update after the dealer takes a look.

One design flaw that jumps to mind is that if I park in an angle, the water do not fall into the surrounding reservoir, but drop straight down onto the seat. Surely someone experienced something like it....?

#4 ·
Bad news, the dealer was able to reproduce the problem and confirm the sunroof seal is leaking. It almost looks like the sunroof is not positioned correctly in the Back-LH corner (above the driver). Apparently Nissan does not sell a seal only for the Armada, so my options right now are either a creative solution (adjusting it into place?) or a new sunroof glass. I'm not sure what exactly is the root cause, I only had a brief chat on the phone with them.

A more Senior technician is scheduled to take a look at it tomorrow, I hope he'll find a creative solution.... :)

#7 ·
They ended up replacing the whole sunroof, covered by warranty. That didn't solve the problem 100%.

They sent the car to a body shop who found a leak somewhere in the roof (I don't have details). Only this finally solved everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.