Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

LT Tire Pressure????

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  B cup 
#1 · (Edited)
What PSI to use on LT Tires (LT265/70R18)

Hi all, I am new to clubarmada.com and I have gotten some great advise and info from the Forums. I appreciate everyone's input and time!

I have a question about Tire Pressure for LT Tires. I just bought a new set of tires for my OEM Rims on my QX56. I wanted a good reliable All Terrain tire and wanted to go with Michelin LTX A/T2 tires because of the quality/reliability of Michelin as well as the user reviews. This was the only AT tire that had a 60K mile warrenty also.

The only problem with going with this tire was the fact that the A/T2 only came as a LT tire not a P tire in the 265/70R18 tire size. I ended up purchasing these tires from Discount Tire and they had 4 separate people "advise me" against LT tires because it is an "invalid application" and the vehicle will ride "stiffer and more uncomfortable."

Well, I went against their advise and got purchased them anyway. I had to wait a couple of days for the special order and when they installed, they asked me what tire pressure to run. The vehicle calls for 35 psi on all 4 tires, but discount said I should run at least 45 psi. I have been driving on them now for about 2 weeks now @ 45 psi and I am extremely happy with them, and I think the ride is smoother and a little bit stiffer, but in a good way. It doesn't feel like I am going to pop a tire by hitting a bump/pothole anymore.

I want to make sure I am running the proper PSI though. I know I can't be the only one out there riding on LT tires. What has been your experience with LT tires? What PSI do you run? Have any of you been getting the mileage expected (50K miles from a 50K warranty tire) or have you noticed uneven/premature wear? Also, I was told that if the pressure is too high, it will set of the TPMS. Is this true?

Thanks again for your input! I appreciate your time and comments!

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm pretty sure only the tire manufacturer can answer that question, the answer totally depends on the specific tire and the wheel size it is mounted onto. I can tell you that I called Nitto and ran my 325/60-18 Terra Grapplers on OEM wheels at 43psi, I can also tell you if those had been a 295/60-18, or if this was a Dodge Durango, or if the wheel was a 18x9, or the tire was a Michelin AT2, that number would've very likely been very different. Tire shops work off of general common specs, the only way to get exact numbers is from the tire manufacturer.

#8 ·
Well, here is what I found on the Continental Tire web site (http://www.conti-online.com/generat...re_service_maintenance/air_pressure_en.html):

The correct tire pressure can be found in the following places:

in the car's owner manual
gas tank lid
driver's side door's edge
door post

The air pressure listed on the side of your tire is NOT the correct air pressure for your vehicle. That number is the maximum air pressure for the tire.
So looks like they recommend to follow the driver's size door label, which suggests 35 psi for all tires...

#7 ·
Welcome to the Club!!
I was told to run 40-42 in my 305/55/20 Prielli Scorpions (10 ply)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.