Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Major rear cambor issues; New rear suspension needed?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Kooshtaka 
#1 ·
Gents, I could use some assistance here. My 2004 mada LE has the autoleveling system and shockingly it does not work!!!! :)

I have a pretty heavy travel trailer, about 7K dry and up to 8k loaded with about 800lb tongue weight. I do have an expensive weight distributing hitch setup that does help a bit but the sag is pretty bad. I originally installed the ride right blue bags and they worked ok. One trip thought I over inflated one of the bags and it popped going up a steep hill with an tight off camber turn. Darn loud pop. Today I forgot to inflate the one remaining bladder and the truck was LOW. Almost ridding on the bump stops low. From the side you could not put your fingers between the wheel wells and the tire.

But after this, I've noticed that the rear camber looks way off. I know with IRS there is a little bit of camber but this looks like something is broken.

I'm planning on replacing the air system with the HD springs (Most likely Napa brand) and putting in better rear shocks. Rancho's or whatever is supposed to be better. Then if I have to adding the firestones. Any other suggestions?

Will putting in the new shocks/springs help with the camber? Could I have worn out the springs/shocks enough to cause this? I had a new set of rear tires and they only lasted about 10K miles. About 2K of that was towing but both tires would not pass inspection as the inner end was totally bald. So not sure what else to look at. Can an alignment shop fix it that out of alignment?

I stopped towing with my Armada as I bought a Ford Excursion for towing duty. Wow that Excursion was amazing, pulled my trailer like there was nothing behind it, stopped well and returned about 12mpg while my Armada was giving me 7-8. But the Excursion needed a bit of work to get running well and that thing is expensive to fix. After about 8 months of trying to sell the Armada with Zero luck I posted the Excursion and had it sold the next night, at my asking price and he paid cash.

So now I need to get the Armada the best towing vehicle it can be, So if I need new suspension all around, i'll be researching for the best. And I need to put in a new stereo as the stock one is ok but wit hthe amount of miles we put on trips I need something good to listen to.

See less See more
#2 ·
There are other alignment issues that can cause inner tire wear, like toe. When was it last aligned? You should always have the vehicle aligned with every new set of tires. If you plan on keeping the vehicle a while, I would get a lifetime alignment at a place like firestone.

#3 ·
Zak77, just out of curiosity. Where are you located? I ask because I have seen a post where those that drive on salted roads during the winter have had some MAJOR rear suspension corrosion/erosion. If this is not your issue then I would have the alignment checked out. I too had an issue with rear camber/toe adjustment. Rear tires wore opposite of the front tires. An alignment appears to have fixed this problem. As for the "auto level" on these vehicles. Some have had major issues with it, thankfully I'm not one of those as mine has been working as it should. The FireStone Ride Rite air bladders, I run those as the primary at about 60 psi and let the auto level compensate for whatever remainder there is if there is any. Some times there is and sometimes there is not. I also run "T" between my air bladders. Down side is when you lose one, you lose air out of both. Fortunately they're quick to change out. You can do 1 inside of a 1/2 hour. Anyway, I'd put the Napa heavier springs on and see what you can do about your shocks if not fixing the OEM auto level. When it works, it works great. Keep us posted on what you do.

Ellis

#4 ·
Hey Zak77,

You are not alone.

I kinda just went though the sagging rear end problem you described. I thought my shocks were weak so I put air springs in to help, it didn't. I also thought my auto leveling shocks didn't work so I had that checked, it works. I was about to order a pair of Timbren suspension for the rear, but I got advice from Keith (aka Campfamily on here) that the weight distribution hitch isn't set correctly. After spending a little over three hours adjusting my hitch I went from rear end riding on axle & front rising more then 2 1/2" to front dipping 1/2" and rear dipping ONLY 3/4". I also learn from an Airstream forum that trailer dealers always over hitch. My current bar rating is for 1200lbs it should be 800lbs so the hitch can carry some of the weight. I just order my replacement bars.

Spend time to adjust your hitch before you do anything else. It will work. =)
Good luck.

Here is the link to the hitch discussions:
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?p=369433#post369433
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/reese-dual-cam-set-up-43568.html

#5 ·
Get Timbren Bump Stops!!!! The Air Bags are not enough for mine either so I bought Timbrens which are designed for the load to be riding on them. Also anytime the height changes more than 1-inch, the Camber will get thrown off.

#6 ·
My Cradle just broke, so that was my rough riding problem. I live in Northeast and the cradles rot. I am buying a new one from Nissan for 04, about $500 new $390 used. I will have to buy about $300 in bolts/nuts/eccentrics etc for the alignment. The rest of my rear suspension parts all were replaced in 2004(I regret not doing the cradle then). I am on my second set of Airbags.

Can any techs tell me for sure whether the cradle bolt positions changed,over the years...did they beef up metal, paint app or change suppliers? What I am asking then, will a 2012 cradle work in my 04?

#10 ·
I would suggest getting the subframe bed lined, re powder coated, painted to protect against rust if you know it'll be subjugated to high rust situations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.