Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Spring / shock question

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  blackArmada_Dxb 
#1 ·
Hi All - new guy to the forum (been lurking for a bit). I have just recently "inherited" my wife's 2005 2WD LE with 115k miles. All stock. I would like to tighten up the ride and think that the shocks should be upgraded - have ordered a set of Bilstein 5100's for the front. My question is should I upgrade the springs at the same time? I am not quite sure where the shocks leave off and the springs come in as far as ride quality go. Thanks

#2 ·
The bilsteins improve the ride quite a bit on their own. I would suggest that you upgrade the shocks first and see if they are enough before making any more changes

#3 ·
With 115k on your stock shocks, the 5100s will definitely improve the ride quality. No need to change the springs. I had 85k on my shocks when I switched to Bilstein HDs and it was a noticeable difference.

#5 ·
Nope, it wont cause any issues. It will just chance the stance a little bit, but I guess you already knew that. :D

#6 ·
I think I will go with the middle setting (+1.5"?) and see what that looks like.

I would like a small overall lift for the Mada, but I transport a motorcycle around on one of those trailer hitch carriers fairly often and don't want the extra height in the back as the ramp is steep enough as is.

#7 ·
Personally I'm not a fan of the "Pre Runner" look. If you are wanting adjustable height shocks then go with the 5100s and if you are wanting to maintain the stock ride height then go with the HDs. Either way you'll come out ahead! :)

#8 ·
So, you could get the 5100's and have them on the lowest setting and that would be the same ride height as the HDs (and stock)? Not that it would make any sense to get "adjustables" if you aren't going to take advantage of them(?).

By getting the 5100s I can see what a level ride looks like and if I choose to go with a small lift in the back, adjust the fronts as needed.

The options...

#9 ·
Yes, if you leave the 5100s on the lowest setting you will retain stock height.

If you have auto level, it will be easier/quicker to adjust the rears than adjust the fronts, but keep in mind that the highest you can go in rear is 2 inches without a lift kit.

#11 ·
Does it now? Are you sure you picked up the right truck from the garage? Because these things happen. :D

J/K.. Enjoy your truck and thanks for the updates!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.