Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

2011 QX56 Shut down while driving...

13K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  marctronixx 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum and was wondering if any other owners have experienced the same issue I am having with my QX with 57,000 miles.

I took off from a red light and got up to about 20 mph and the engine sputtered and the power steering shut off. Tried to give it gas but nothing. The engine light came on along with all the other lights. I steered it off the road and coasted into a parking lot. I tried to crank the engine but it would not turnover and acted like it was out of gas (have a half tank). Tried a few more times and still nothing. Called road side assistance and waited on tow truck for over an hour. During that time I tried to start but it would not turn over. Everything inside the car (electrical) was working fine.

The tow truck comes and slides it up and delivers to dealership. Once its down the service agent gets in and it cranks right up and he drives it around lot with no issues. I was shocked to say the least. One of the other service agents comes up and says he has seen where the angle of the tow truck allows fuel to re-enter engine and solves the issue. They ran the code test and came back with nothing. They are keeping the car at my request to run further tests.
Has anyone experienced this issue? Quiet scary if I was going 70 mph on the highway with no power steering. I have not had any other issues with this vehicle to date.

Thanks in advance for your response.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Marctronix for the reply. The service agent did plug up some device under the dash and then told me the system had no codes. Said everything was checking out as far at the car was communicating.

I was still in shock that the car had fired right back up when two hours earlier it was dead and quit on me while driving. One of those situations where you want to validate yourself bc you have the feeling people don't believe you. But I got the sense from the two service agents they have seen this issue before even though they weren't readily admitting it.

Service agent called me before close of day and said they were calling the engineers at Infiniti to ask them about situation. See if they could provide any information because they were unable to replicate the problem at the shop. I'll keep you guys posted as to what they say. I am considering purchasing the extended warranty (6 year 120K mile) for $2,841 since my warranty expires in less than 2000 miles and I have lost some confidence in the car. is this a good price?

#4 ·
Hey guys - can I piggy back off this post?

I have an 06 qx56. the ecm relay (recall) was replaced in 12/10. I haven't quite had the issue of the car shutting down while driving but I have getting the sputtering at lower speeds (like bad gas). Plus my dash is all messed up. Tried fixing the cluster and it didn't help. I think it's the IPDM. My original IPDM is part number 284B67S002. When I look up that part I find that it was replaced with part 284B6-ZC00A (approx $115). When I contact infiniti they tell me I need part 284B6-ZE03C (approx $300). Infiniti is telling me the replacment part number (ZC00A) is not a valid nissan/infiniti part number. However, I have found that part number online. I want to make sure I get the correct part for my car. Of course I would rather pay $115 than $300 but if the correct part is $300 then that's the one I will go with. I want to make sure they're not trying to get more money out of me than I need to spend...know what I mean?

Thanks for all your help!

cluster problems - some back lights not lit, tach isn't working, dash goes completely black when I turn headlights/drl on then will flicker on/off periodically. sent out to fix, didn't help - still same issues.

Also, my auto start isn't working - tries to turn over but wont. Could that be IPDM issue also?

#5 ·
cluster problems - some back lights not lit, tach isn't working, dash goes completely black when I turn headlights/drl on then will flicker on/off periodically. sent out to fix, didn't help - still same issues.

Also, my auto start isn't working - tries to turn over but wont. Could that be IPDM issue also?
How old is your battery? This sounds like a classic case of low battery voltage. When my battery was about to go (Armada, not QX), the dash cluster was doing all kinds of weird things. Changed the battery, all was good.

Keith

#13 ·
Dang these things can get expensive, should we keep a good warranty on these hi tech automobiles, are the electrical problems common for Nissan, 2010/2011 is still a new machine.. What causes these issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.