Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[Qx/Armada] 2008+ Front Display Mod

219K views 385 replies 100 participants last post by  Andjuan17 
#1 ·
Has anyone here with an 08 Armada modded the front screen to play DVD's all the time, so the parking brake does not need to be activated? I am sure there is just a wire running to the brake that I need to ground to the chassis but just wanted to see if anyone out there has done this yet. thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome to the Club!!!! :hi:

Haven't heard of anyone doing that yet but I'm sure it's coming. As soon as we can get our hands on some '08 wiring diagrams, one of our A/V gurus will most likely figure it out soon enough.

#5 ·
Yep. But there's a "safety" switch that requires the Parking Brake to be set before it will play. It should be just a matter of finding that switch and bypassing it so it thinks the parking brake is set when it's not. It might be connected with the parking brake light instead of the brake itself.

#8 ·
nahhhhhh :p

I really wish the Nav was full fuctional once the car is moving. It seems like everything is blocked while the car is in motion. It would be nice for the passenger to be able to input band names in the musicbox or new phone numbers into the phonebook.

#10 ·
Pops said:
Yep. But there's a "safety" switch that requires the Parking Brake to be set before it will play. It should be just a matter of finding that switch and bypassing it so it thinks the parking brake is set when it's not. It might be connected with the parking brake light instead of the brake itself.
The wire would then be on the parking brake pedal. I would look for the switch that gets pushed when you push the brake, wire it with a relay and switch, and presto, it should work. ;)

#12 ·
05BLIZZARDLE said:
nahhhhhh :p

I really wish the Nav was full fuctional once the car is moving. It seems like everything is blocked while the car is in motion. It would be nice for the passenger to be able to input band names in the musicbox or new phone numbers into the phonebook.
This can and has been done. Just search for nav. hack. Basically cut one wire (VSS) and put a toggle switch inline. Open the circuit to fool the nav into thinking the truck is not moving, input your destination (by a passenger:D) and close the circuit so that everything get back to normal.

#13 ·
I think it is just the parking brake wire because I had the same thing on my 01 F-150 Supercrew and grounded the wire permantly. I looked up under the dash and did not see any noticable wires sticking out. I think if it was wired to the speedo they would have done without the parking brake needing to be actuated and it would just turn off as the truck moved like the options in the navigation.

#14 ·
I would play with the pedal one notch at a time to see at what point it starts working. Primarily if it's consistent with the Brake Light or not. It will also give you an idea of which point the switch is activated that might help in locating it.

#15 ·
Until I read this thread I didn't even know the nav was already wired to the dvd on the 08... now thats a great surprise (thinking I was going to have to rip all kinds of plastic off to wire it for that myself!) REALLY looking forward to hearing how to bypass that break hurtle...

ROCK!

#16 ·
Pops said:
Welcome to the Club!!!! :hi:

Haven't heard of anyone doing that yet but I'm sure it's coming. As soon as we can get our hands on some '08 wiring diagrams, one of our A/V gurus will most likely figure it out soon enough.
Do you know where I could buy a wiring diagram? Im going on a long road trip in two weeks and I REALLY want to get the nav playing DVDs by then...

Thanks,
Keith

#18 ·
#21 ·
Do a search.....this has been discussed before. Unless they changed it in '07 or '08, you cannot show normal video on the Nav screen without adding a video switcher of some sort. As I recall, it converts RGB to composite video or the opposite. there are a couple of sources for this part like NavTV.

I had this done to my '05 so i could have video from my DVD player and my night vision camera.

#22 · (Edited)
The '08's are different than the '07's. The '08's have a completely new NAV system that does not require a switcher, you can watch a movie up front without adding anything. The catch is that the E-Brake has to be set for it to work. It would be nice to get this figured out soon. It shouldn't be too difficult after we know where to look.

#23 ·
Thinker62 said:
Do a search.....this has been discussed before. Unless they changed it in '07 or '08, you cannot show normal video on the Nav screen without adding a video switcher of some sort. As I recall, it converts RGB to composite video or the opposite. there are a couple of sources for this part like NavTV.

I had this done to my '05 so i could have video from my DVD player and my night vision camera.
On my 08 i just press the aux button on the dash while playing a dvd for the rear unit and it shows up on the nav no mods needed. its that easy, really it even recognizes the menu options on the tough screen! .sooo sweet... but it only works with the parking break engaged. I have to figure out how to disable that... I'll let you know what i find.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.