Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

How do I fix bouncing side to side problem?

13K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mikecl 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 2WD with 124K miles. It has the self-leveling system in the rear. It's currently very bouncy especially when only one wheel hits an uneven surface. The whole vehicle bounces side to side.

I have two questions:
1) Will replacing all the shocks fix this problem?
2) Where do I find replacement air shocks? I searched and searched but can't seem to find anyone that sells these.

#2 ·
Welcome to the club. The most common fix for this is shock replacements with Bilstein HD or 5100 series shocks - the 5100's are adjustable for height. I think many buy from Shock Warehouse and you will need shocks listed for the Titan. This will resolve most of the bump steer.

There is no aftermarket rear air shock that I know of but that is not part of the problem you're having. Most want to replace the rears for better handling in general or to resolve a leaking rear system. I would go with the front replacements first and see if you're happy with the result before looking at the rear setup.

#3 ·
How much air pressure do you have in your tires? Over-inflated tires will do the same thing.

#4 ·
Drauden is right - I may have misunderstood your post. After reading Drauden's post I remember having similar issues with improper tire pressure when I first picked up the vehicle from the dealer. They had it 10lbs over-inflated and it was all over the road. I also noticed a firmer ride after getting new tires with stiffer sidewalls. I don't get blown aside when a truck passes anymore.

#5 ·
If the shocks have never been replaced they're probably shot. The OEM Rear Air Shocks are not expensive, not anymore than buying aftermarket ones. I would suggeat also getting an alignment after changing the shocks, proper alignment is crucial to gaining a smooth ride in these.

#7 ·
my shocks are too blown (rear) didnt know until i went to the dealership to get my key programmed and they did a full inspection and found leaky rear shock absorbors and loose sway links...i wanna take care of the rear sway links first cause it can and may be a safety issue...but as for the rear shocks what do you guys recommend...i found some kyb gr2 but only for the front...and cant seem to find any for the rears...whats best for the money and what best for performance and long lasting

#8 · (Edited)
Monroe and Rancho make some specd for the Armada. I just finished installing Radflo from PRG Products. If you change from air shock to non airshock ou need to change the springs to non-tow springs to get the stiffer support required with non airshocks. I posted pics of the spring difference in my Rear Suspension Rebuild thread.

#9 ·
nice..thanks..mines a 04 se 4x4...and really dont want to lose the towing privilege..what you mean by switching to air shock to non air shock and replacing with non tow springs? will i not be able to tow no more if so? or will it just not support the heavy load and sink the rear end?:D

sorry stupid question but this is my first full size big *** car

#11 ·
I have a 2006 2WD with 124K miles. It has the self-leveling system in the rear. It's currently very bouncy especially when only one wheel hits an uneven surface. The whole vehicle bounces side to side.

I have two questions:
1) Will replacing all the shocks fix this problem?
2) Where do I find replacement air shocks? I searched and searched but can't seem to find anyone that sells these.
L
If you want AirShocks, OEM is the only way you'll get them.. Here, this thread will answer alot of your questions, Completely Black parts is OEM: Rear Suspension Rebuild
I am having the same problem did fixing the front strut work.

#12 ·
I changed one of my stock strut yesterday with 163k on the car it was not fully blown but when pressing down it came up so slow might as well call it blown. I will do the other side when I get back it was a lot of work up top due to the three nuts are rusted I have all new hardware for it just no time at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.