Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Thoughts on Brake Rotors and Pads? Ebay items?

24K views 88 replies 18 participants last post by  ntrddragn 
#1 ·
I have started shopping for Brake Rotors and Pads for my 2006 Armada.

Before going to Ebay I priced out the following:

R1 Concepts Rotors (Drill/slotted) and EBC Pads - total around $480-500 for rear and front.

I have bought pads and rotors before in ebay from discounted stores with good ratings on ebay. They worked great, but only did this once for my lexus Rx300.

I looked around and found like Callahan or Brake Motive... I can get Rotors and pads for like $200.

I have looked around and I see reviews saying some love them and some say they didn't last. With this price I could go through 2 sets before I pay the retail price above for R1 Concepts and EBC pads.

Curious on what people out on this forum think and have done in the past?

#2 ·
i was in the same position as you, r1 seem too pricey for me so I went with magnum rotors all around and its been 3 years, and still no warping issues at all and barely any rust. I paid under 300 for them, keep in mind though the ceramic pads suck, so I had to swap to oem brake pads as ceramic ones magnum gave squealed too much.

I did buy front r1 rotors for my dad's qx4 and so far they have been great and he has had no complaints.

#4 ·
Hi "ntrddragn", what pads did you end up using with r1? Did you get the ceramic or metallic that r1 sells? Or did you do something else?

I have had EBC Green before on my Lexus Rx300, they were a little louder than normal, but boy did they stop the SUV great so we kept them.

#5 ·
I had ceramic. Then got all fancy n order the green stuff and killed them in 7 months trying to get rid of the squeal. Got the yellow from a member here. Hoping it was different but no. When I stop it squeal and it sound like I'm stopping a big rig. With that vrroooooooommmm sound. Haha

sent from broken autoguide app.

#7 · (Edited)
I am currently running EBC Green pads and where do I begin....

-SOOOOOO Loud
-Brake dust like I've never seen (My rims look like they are plasti dipped after only a week)
-Brake Fade comes way to easily (Never witnessed brake fade before I had these pads)

I have spent hours cleaning the brakes, making sure they were smooth and clean, but the noise always comes back. The only way I can avoid the noise is by slamming on the brakes at nearly every stop. Any pressure less than slamming the brakes and it sounds like a big rig coming to a stop....

There is so much brake dust on my rims that when my sprinklers come on, it washes the brake dust off and turns my driveway black...

EDIT: Here a picture to show all the crap that washes off with the sprinklers.

#9 ·
I am looking at the Brake Motive set on Ebay. They look pretty good deal and some guys over on Titan talk have put them on and say they are real good.

#10 ·
I went with r1 all the way around. The premium drilled and slotted rotors. I had first front set replaced under warranty, EXCELLENT customer service, and picked up the extended wear posiquiet pads from r1 also at same time... so far not too bad... might switch out the pads next time for some hawks or something though.

#11 ·
I went with the Callahan setup from ebay. $185 for all four drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Everything fit perfectly, went on easily. Pretty impressed for the price so far. No noise, nice and smooth stopping. Pedal felt a little soft at first, but it stopped just fine. It has since felt a little more firm, like it did before. Maybe the pads needed to properly "burn in"? Anyways, for the money, I am very happy with the Callahan setup!

#12 ·
Well I just ordered my drilled/slotted e series rotors and ceramic pads from R1 concepts for $300 for front and back. Cheaper price than what is on there web site.

Looks like they arrive soon, and I can't wait to install them.

Thanks everybody for giving me ideas and there thoughts.

#13 ·
Let us know how those are, I am very interested!

#15 ·
My first set of r1s warped just barely outside of 1 year, but they did step up and replaced them under warranty anyway. :) I went with the premium drilled and slotted and no issues on my second set.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Just ordered a set of PowerStop Brakes rotors Front and Rear with Ceramic pads from CARiD. I'll be replacing the factory rotors, lets see how they do.

One thing I can tell you right now is that their customer service is top notch, if you call, make sure you ask for Joey, he took the time to compare the ebay kit I was looking at getting with the kit he was offering me.

Will report back when they come in and also first impressions.

Rob

#17 · (Edited)
Update

Quick update guys. The Rotors and Pads came in, they look great and are heavy as hell. Shipping from CarID was fast. Now I'm just waiting on my Goodridge SS Brake Lines:) to come in and I will get these installed. I will also be installing the Bilstein 4600 in the front, I'm not sure yet what I'll be putting in the rear, still researching.

Stay tuned for first impressions after installation. Enough talk on to the pics.

Rob

#20 ·
They have a silver zinc plating on the whole rotor that prevents/reduce corrosion. Don't know how thick the plating is though.

The set ran me $436 including the pads and shipping.

Rob

P.S Does anyone have installed a SS brake line kit?

#22 ·
I will be installing everything (suspension and brakes/front and rear) next weekend. Provided I find the replacements for the rear shocks/struts before then.

So far looks like my only option for the rear shocks, is to go with factory replacements, since I have the auto-leveling option.

Rob

#23 ·
i i just put the powerstop crossdrilled and slotted rotors on my 06 le, with the ceramic pads. i got mine off of amazon for 300 bucks (front and rear). i am HIGHLY impressed! these things will stop my beast in a heartbeat! i dont know what i was expecting, but i got better than i was hoping for.

#27 ·
I just ordered powerstop fronts too, $258 with ceramic pads. My R1's lasted 30k. Glad to hear your comments on them.

#29 ·
Haven't had a problem with the posi quiet ceramics in terms of dusting but I had to swap out the fronts to Wagner thermo quiet ceramics due to a stuck slider a few months ago and they spew dust like crazy. Front wheels look like I drove thru mud every time it rains. For anyone contemplating Wagner for any reason they are garbage...do not buy them.

#30 ·
I called Powerstop an got some additional info:

1) the extreme pads grip more but create more dust than the ceramics

2) the zinc plating is on the entire rotor including the hubs and fins

3) no warrantee on warping

$350 for the set seems worth a shot. I'm curious to hear others reviews

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.