Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Clicking in Gear Selector among other things

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunter534 
#1 ·
Greetings all,
I am asking for some advice. My 2008 Armada is past its warranty which expired in Nov and of course, some problems are starting to arise.
I have always noticed a clicking sound in my gear shifter when i apply the brakes (I assume Shift Lock Solenoid) well lately, I notice when I try to shift from Park to Reverse, or sometimes Park to Drive, there is a little resistance with a click as I am am shifting it to R or D. It's as if something is blocking the way. Additionally, when I do shift it into gear I can feel the car move when its engaging into R or D...sometimes its loud, sometimes not. I was at a drive through and I had it in P and when I shifted to R, i heard a loud click under the engine cause i had the windows down). I have done a lot of research so I have come to conclusion of:

For resistance and clicking:
1. Shift Lock Solenoid

For slight movement after shifting
1. Worn U Joint(s)
2. Drive Shaft

My armada has 69,500 miles (I know, barely breaking in)

Please advise your thoughts and or suggestions as I am no longer under warranty and I feel more and more problems are going to surface after this beast gets paid off in a few months.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hear the clicking noise as well when I tap the brake but have been told its the Solenoid which isn't an issue I hope. As for the resistance when shifting, now that I think about it, I do feel more resistance coming and going from P especially when I'm slightly included.

#3 ·
My 2013 did the exact same thing. Every time I applied and release the brakes, I would hear a click. I first thought it was something flopping in glove box. Took it to dealer and had mechanic sit in vehicle and listen. He said that they will click when coming out of park, but shouldn't do it all the time, like mine did. There isn't any adjustments so they replaced the shifter mechanism and now it only does it when you apply the brakes in reverse. Every time you tap and release the brake, it clicks. Still annoying but is better than it was before.

#4 ·
I can hear this solenoid in my 2012. It is much louder than I remember it being in my 2006. It's loud enough that passengers riding in the car for the first time ask about it, even when the radio is on. The next time my 2012 is in for dealer service, I plan to ask them to look at it.

#5 ·
I had to have my transmission replaced at 70k miles in my 2011 due to a transmission line rusting and exploding while driving on the interstate. After my new transmission was installed I started hearing the clicking noise. The original transmission didn't make this sound. I asked the dealer about it and they said it was normal but couldn't tell me why I didn't hear it before. They told me I probably had the radio too loud. The first time I picked up my kids after I had the vehicle fixed, my 3 year old asked me what the noise was. From the problems I have had, this is my last Nissan and I wouldn't recommend this brand to anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.