Leaking auto load-leveling suspension...help! - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 198 Old 11-23-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Schwa72
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schwa72 is on a distinguished road
Leaking auto load-leveling suspension...help!

I've had my '08 Armada since July 2007. I bought the truck in Utah, and as soon as the weather started getting cold (November - December 2007), my load-leveling suspension wouldn't hold pressure. Every time I'd start the truck I could hear the compressor pumping the back end of the truck up, and when I'd turn the truck off, the rear end would slowly deflate until it was definitely very, very low. I'd start the truck again, the rear end would re-inflate, and the cycle would start over again. The colder the outside temperature, the faster the leak. At first it'd take around an hour or so before it'd go completely flat, but as it got really cold outside (30's and lower), the leak got so back that you could hear the air actually leak out of the suspension. Anyway, I took the truck to the dealer about three times, and after consulting with the engineers at Nissan, the dealer replaced practically every major component in the air suspension system. This seemed to fix the problem for the remainder of last winter and up through this summer.

I've since moved to Ohio, and now that the weather is getting cold again, the damned leak is back. Whenever I go out to the truck I can see that the rear end is sagging. I know this shouldn't be happening because in the summer there is no such leak. I tow stuff periodically so I can't have the rear suspension constantly going on the fritz...it has the potential to be a safety issue (handling, etc).

Now that I have to start the repair cycle over again with my Ohio dealer, I'd sure like to start them off with a clue as to how to fix this once and for all. Has anyone experienced the same problem? I searched the forums but couldn't find anything.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 PM
BlakSpyda
SHIFT_Moderator

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
BlakSpyda is on a distinguished road
Welcome to CA Schwa72!

That sucks that you have the problem, but sucks more that it is a repeat offender. I have done some searching too and have only found one entry by lmntguy typical to yours here on the forum.
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10900
There was no evidence of a resolution for his either. No one has posted further comments. I just hope that the dealer in Ohio can get it done and repaired with finality.

Good luck.

Last edited by BlakSpyda; 11-23-2008 at 06:41 PM.
post #3 of 198 Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Schwa72
SHIFT_Lurker

That's for the reply, BlakSpyda! I posted in that other thread to see if the other folks who've noticed the problem (two in that thread) ever got a resolution.
post #4 of 198 Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Seems to me it's not a leak. Sounds more like a faulty "Height Sensor" or "Control Unit" to me. I'd ask them to replace them again.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
post #5 of 198 Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Schwa72
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops
Seems to me it's not a leak. Sounds more like a faulty "Height Sensor" or "Control Unit" to me. I'd ask them to replace them again.
Why doesn't sound like a leak? The air leaks out when the truck is turned off, so the Height Sensor or Control Unit wouldn't even be working at that time, right? The suspension pumps itself up again once the truck is on and it realizes the suspension is low; to me, that indicates that the Height Sensor/Control Unit/whatever would be working okay.
post #6 of 198 Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 PM
scr38
SHIFT_Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
scr38 will become famous soon enough
Mix some dish washing soap in water and put in a spray bottle . After shutting off the engine spray the liquid on the compresser/tank assembly, on all the air lines and the shocks. You should be able to find the leak by looking for the bubbles.
post #7 of 198 Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Rumplecat
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Rumplecat is on a distinguished road
Garage
I have a '04 Armada and mine has been doing this for the 6 months and I have looked at everything and have not been able to resolve why it is doing this but it is very annoying when I go to tow something now every thirty min i have to pull over to the side of the road and turn off the engine and turn back on to let it air back up again. I am out of warranty so i am trying to self diagnose so I can fix the problem my self. If i can't i guess it is off to the dealer I go .

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
1976 Apache Trailer Hard-side Pop Up
post #8 of 198 Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Schwa72
SHIFT_Lurker

If there are other folks out there who are having the problem, I highly recommend you contact your dealer and/or Nissan about it. As pervasive as it's been on my truck, I just can't imagine that it's that isolated of a problem...yet the engineers at Nissan (according to my Utah dealer) seemed to have never heard of it. My point is that if more people complain, the more likely it is that a TSB will be issued so we can get a "real" fix.

It can be a tough problem to notice unless you're looking for it. When I first noticed it, the truck happened to be running and I was shoveling my driveway when I heard the compressor run twice within the span of 10 minutes. I knew that something was wrong, but I'd never noticed the problem prior to that.
post #9 of 198 Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Rumplecat
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Rumplecat is on a distinguished road
Garage
Well I went and I put soapy water on the rear suspension including the compressor on the back where the hoses were coming out and the bottom hoses is leaking from the quick connect. The hose is good it is just the quick connect that went bad. Is there a replace that i can get for the quick connect? The dealer said now and I would have to buy a new compressor from them at $335.00. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James G.

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
1976 Apache Trailer Hard-side Pop Up
post #10 of 198 Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 AM
CdnInAz
SHIFT_Enthusiast

CdnInAz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplecat
bottom hoses is leaking from the quick connect ... have to buy a new compressor from them at $335
ouch - take a look at this diagram Can you pick off the part that is leaking? Looks like there are a couple of separate part numbers for air connectors attached to the compressor. Note that the whole compressor assembly is only $256, and hopefully you don't need all that, so you can definitely do better than $335.
PS, I've learned about that site and their great part schematics while reading Bob's (Pops) posts

- a "retired CA member"
had a 2007 LE 4x4, BigTow, Nav, DVD. Mods: Stillen stainless dual rear exit, GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor (forced when crappy Contis died early), added skid plates under transfer case & fuel tank
- Armada replaced May09 with 2004 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 (a lighter more nimble rig without the terrible Nissan rattles, not as big but carries and tows enough for me)

went to Discount Tire for Goodyear SAs on my 2000 Tundra, again for SAs on my 2007 Mada, and hope to again soon for SAs when the 'normal' street tires are done on my 2004 4Runner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode