Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Power Stop Brake Install 2005 Armada

9K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  S30TRBO 
#1 ·
Finally had time to do the brake upgrade as the rears were getting pretty low. The calipers were pretty nasty looking so I picked up the POR-15 Brake Caliper kit and it turned out well. It took a little longer because it was so humid out with two coats. The PITA was the 21mm rear caliper cage bolts, I had to heat them up as they were on their solid after 83K miles.

3 days from RockAuto K2443 Power Stop Drilled & Slotted Rotors and Power Stop Z16 Evolution Brake Pads:

2 days from Tire Rack:

Fronts:

Since the Goodridge lines don't have the brake line locator boss like the factory line make sure you steer lock to lock before locking it down to make sure it doesn't rub on the LCA.

Rears:

I noticed both front upper ball joints were busted so next is to replace those with MOOG and install the Bilstein HD and new sway bar bushings/end-links. I'm on the fence on what to do with the rear since I have the self leveling kit.

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice setup. Looks pretty cool ! How long did it take you to get the front and rear brakes and rotors replaced? I also have a 2005 Armada LE 4x4 and it is almost time for the brake job too. I also going to order from Rock Auto since I have a lot of good reviews on their front and rear brake kits. Do the high performance brake lines make any different ?

#11 ·
It took me longer since I painted the calipers, it was an overnight job for the paint to dry and cure since I didn't want to mess them up on the reassembly. A lot less dust on the pads and stopped better than stock!

#5 ·
I installed the same brakes. They are great!

#8 ·
#7 ·
I'll admit upfront that I'm no mechanic, but can perform the basic maintenance on my vehicles. WIth that said, I ask humbly...Do you have to bleed the brakes each time you change the pads? I just had my brake lines bled at Firestone 5000 miles ago, but they didn't change my pads at that time. Now that I've changed the pads, I didnt feel that I had to bleed the lines.

Can this cause a problem?

#10 ·
You only need to bleed the brakes if you introduce air into the system such as if you are replacing a caliper or a rubber brake line.

You should flush the fluid every 30K miles anyways. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself I highly recommend finding an authorized BG service center that performs BG services and have them do it. I just had my 2012 done as the pedal was spongy and it fixed it up for now. I have the Motive Products bleeder to do it myself but with the 18 degree days I didn't want to mess with it.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/brake.htm

#12 ·
Cool. I ordered a set as well (front and back) end of last year from Rock Auto with a mail-in rebate. However, I have not received the rebate after I mailed it out before X'mas, 2014. :(
Hopefully it is not another mail-in rebate scam. I am going to find sometime to replace them next week.

#15 · (Edited)
I finally made the DIY switch to Power Stop rotors and brakes on my 06 Armada about a month ago, performed the break in procedure too and they feel great.

I'm wondering if anyone else noticed that their rotors were no longer silver colored. I guess it's the rosin from the ceremic pads, but the surface of all 4 rotors have a tan/yellow glazed look that appeared immediately after break in.

Is this to be expected?

Thanks

#16 ·
I finally got the rebate and already deposit the check and spent in. :)

I replaced the rotors and brake pads (front and rear) a couple weeks ago and the braking feels a lot better now after following the brake-in procedure from Power Stop. I also flushed out the brake fluid.

Replacing the front rotors was fairly quick but the rear rotors took me a while as they would not come out easily. I had to heat them up and use a crowbar to carefully pry them out. It took almost a whole day to replace all four brakes pads + rotors because of this.

The rotors look pretty cool with silver/metallic but I only have them for less than 500 miles. So far I am pretty happy with the setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.