Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Armada dual exhaust sound

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  mlboarts 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I am a newbie to this forum and looking for advice for my recent upgrade. I have 2005 Armada LE for last couple of years I've been running with stock exhaust with a magna flow muffler which sounded ok, but always felt I was getting restriction from my exhaust with also running with aem brute force and a bully dog set on extreme with open throttle.

So I recently upgraded to the a Borla dual exhaust. I am getting better performance, but what I don't like is that it's too quiet. When just idling it sounds like stock until I hit that gas and even then it's missing that mean sound. What I do like is the sound is smooth and consistent and not annoying noisy loud like some cheap exhaust.

So what I would like to know is there anyway I can make it sound a bit more aggressive? Also does anyone know if it possible to cut off the CAT from the all in one manifold and cat without having take out the manifold and run it into the and after market high flow cat?

#2 ·
You can eliminate the secondary cats located in the B pipes. Don't attempt to eliminate the primary cats welded to the manifolds. Rather than doing that, install headers.
I think you will get the sound you want by replacing the B pipes with custom B pipes that don't have cats. You can find those here or on ClubTitan.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, headers are later down the road as I need to give my wallet a rest. lol
I eventually want to get the long tube headers, the headers are not expensive IMO, but it's the labor that would put a big dent in my piggy bank . Thanks for the info, but The "B" pipe would be which one is it the one on the passenger side or is it both? I think both side has a secondary cat which is a resonator I think.? You had mentioned about I can get the parts to replace that do you or anyone have a link and or pic for that part I would want?

#5 ·
Well I did some digging around and I came across this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyJCVQuyWVw
which explain why I'm getting the sound I am getting. Borla has three category touring, s-type and atak. Base on their description and mine the category my exhaust fits into the touring. What I do like the sound from the s-type or atak, but unfortunately they only have 1 option for this vehicle which is the one I got. It explains that the different level sound depends on the muffler which silence the sound. Knowing that I am not too sure even changing the b pipes would make much of a difference as the sound will be filter out by the muffler.

#6 ·
So I just talked to Borla they have confirmed that replacing the "B" may get the sound I want so now I guess I need to find one or go to an muffler place to see if they can make one without blowing my budget..

#7 · (Edited)
So here it is, today I went to a performance exhaust place and spent $200 parts and labor to have them custom made a straight "B" pipe.

I can tell you through observation there is minimal change in idle tone. The sound when you hit the gas is throatier and more consistent through out the range. The better acceleration even since I had the cat back system upgraded.

Next project down the road , as they guy did point out I had a slight leak in the passenger manifold which is common for these oem manifold. I had my driver replace under warranty, but I don't think I qualify now for that.

What is the best bang for the buck for a long tube headers out there?

#8 ·

Next project down the road the road, as they guy did point out I had a slight leak in the passenger manifold which is common for these oem manifold. I had my driver replace under warranty, but I don't think I qualify now for that.

What is the best bang for the buck for a long tube headers out there?
Manifold warranty is 8 yrs or 80K miles which ever comes first.

Best bang I would jba LT. Autoanything has promos or call and say ur part of titan talk and ask for discounts? Since they r the sponsor over there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#10 ·
I got my exhaust done here at a local shop. They cut out off the y pipe, put on a flowmaster super 40 dual in, dual out and ran 2.5" pipes all the back with chrome tips, and they exit on both sides behind the rear tires. Had to dump the spare, but it sounds amazing. Passes CA smog, so it will pass anywhere....

#11 ·
I am assuming if it will pass smog then you still have CATS on it?

I happy to say I'm getting my headers put in tomorrow and thanks to Nightowl and Joe at Canjun pipes I will get tune by Joe with Uprev.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.