Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Armada catalytic converter issues... anybody having them?

85K views 63 replies 31 participants last post by  marctronixx 
#1 ·
After spending several days on my 'Mada, she's finally back on the streets. I posted in Problems my symptoms, but here's a summary:

Cutting out under load, loss of power overall, missing. Initially able to kill it, wait a few minutes, and start back up and that would "clear" it up for a bit, but the period kept getting shorter and shorter until she would barely go.

Error codes: Initially P0420 and P04390 (Catalytic converter efficiency), but eventually P0300 (multiple cylinder misfire).

Troubleshooting: Initially I thought it was bad gas, then the gas cap. Replaced the gas cap. Finally came down that it was the fuel pump/filter. I replaced that, but it didn't solve the problem. However, I feel something was wrong with the pump/filter, because it wasn't until I replaced it that I could isolate the real culprit: failed catalytic converters, specifically the cats closest to the engine.

Seems the cat on the passenger side failed and disintegrated, blowing back and completely clogging the secondary cat downstream. The driver side upstream cat was in pieces, but only a little had made it down stream.

Needing to get her back on the road, I gutted all cats and cleaned out the pipes. She's now running at full power, and maybe a little bit more. I don't feel like the pump was a waste because I still feel there were problems in that area, but no doubt it was the cats failing that ultimately caused my problems.

I'm still getting P0420 and P0430, but with no cats, that's to be expected. I'm going to research the best approach to replacing the upstream cats, whether to have a shop cut the old ones off and weld new ones on or just replace the exhaust manifolds. Unless I can find a shop that will do them relatively cheaply, I'm leaning towards replacing the manifolds. They're around $340 each from Courtesy.

EDIT: The downstream cats are in the section of the exhaust connected to the exhaust manifold/upstream cat and before the Y. Easy replacement (bolted both ends), and I'm hoping they aren't too expensive. I did run into a problem with gaskets: none of the parts stores in my area (Autozone, Advanced, Oreilly's) had the right gaskets and tried to sell me the paper ones instead of metal. They also didn't have the flange gasket. If you tackle this job, don't wait until you're ready to go back together before getting the gaskets. I'm thinking I'll get mine from the local dealer or courtesy.

By the way, the locking ring on the fuel pump is a major pain to get off without the tool, but I found a way to do it: The pump assembly is actually spring loaded and pushes against the bottom of the tank and the lock ring. I found that by spraying the lock ring with WD-40 and having someone apply some downward pressure to the pump assembly, you can get it off with a hammer and a brass punch (to avoid sparks). It comes off relatively easy that way. Likewise to put it back on.

Just wanted to let you guys know what I ran into. She's got 128k on the clock. I don't know exactly what caused the cats to fail, but I'm guessing they got clogged and then blown out. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to monitor your exhaust as you get to 100k on.

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
Shorties are a complete waste in my opinion but I understand those are the only option for some guys. By the time you pay someone to weld old cats on new headers and fabricate to the bpipes you have spent more money than longtubes cost. JBA longtubes, catted bpipes and Uprev tune gets you by any OBD emission test and will keep the light off. The sniffer emission test should be no problem to pass either. The only place you will have trouble is where CARB emission test occur. The cats I use are 49 state EPA legal and are metallic substrate not ceramic substrate like the aftermarket replacement manifolds. Moving the cats under the truck and getting them out of the engine compartment also reduces under hood temps. The above package will also pick you up substantial HP and TQ which will make you smile. I also will custom build shorties with cats attached if the owner request those but I recommend Lt's. Here is a pic of some shorties I built using Magnaflow metallic substrate cats. These exit in stock location and will bolt up to factory bpipes or aftermarket.

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
Would it be possible to do some custom B-Pipes with the 4 OEM cats?

In other words, would the cats being that close together cause issues?

#34 ·
I thought I heard you did shorties with cats attached. Glad I remembered correctly. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#38 ·
I wonder where some people are getting the idea that Armadas and Titans have 4 cats, they have 2 cats, except for certain 2004 production models. As I know, and maybe things have changed, the Armada and Titan came with 2 cats, at the exhaust manifold, the B-pipes had big resonator looking pipes, not cats. As nightowl said, you can go with long tube headers, place the cats in the b-pipes and the 02 sensor behind that cat and no CES light will come on, and you will pass the OBD emissions testing, as long as you are tuned correctly with Uprev.

#39 ·
NYC2002Armada .... The B pipes are cats
All Aramdas and Titans have 4 cats along with 4 O2 sensors.

My manifold cat crapped out and is cause 1 of my back cats to also crap out.
So I bought the JBA Long tubes and will get the Cajun B Pipes with Uprev.
I have emission testing - as long as I dont throw a CEL, I will pass.
They dont do visual inspections here

#40 ·
Like I said before, and I will say it again, there are only 2 cats and they are attached to the exhaust manifold. The front two sensors are A/F ratio sensors, the bottom ones are the 02 sensors that monitor the cats, that is why they are behind the cats. There is no cats in the stock b-pipes. People please do your home work before you start making statements that are not true. I may not have my truck anymore, but I am one of a very select few that know these vehicles very well.

#42 · (Edited)
My Armada has two pre-cats, one attached to each exhaust manifold and two cats at the B pipe for four in total. That's why some owners can eliminate the exhaust manifold and pre-cats replacing them with headers, move the 02 sensors to appropriate locations up and downstream of the main cats.
Heck even my little V6 Chevy Tracker had two pre-cats one per exhaust manifold and the main cat down stream of them.
Our Jeep Commander has the same number of cats as the Armada.

In all my years working on cars, trucks, vans, CMVs etc and going for and passing ASE courses I've never ever seen a resonator upstream of the MUFFLER. Resonators are downstream of the muffler.

#44 ·
Only 04-06 2wd Titans and Armadas have 2 cats in the manifolds and resonators (no catalyst brick) in the bpipes. All 04-06 (4WD) and 07-14 (2WD & 4WD) Titans and Armadas have 4 cats 2 in the manifolds and two in the bpipes. The bpipe cats are not monitored by the ECU and can be deleted without any codes because the 02 sensor is in front of the cat. Nissan calls this cat in the bpipe a resonator but it is a cat with catalyst brick inside. The only cats monitored by the ECU is the manifold cats which is why they throw codes when cracked and the cat starts to fail.

The Ultraquiet resonator works best behind the muffler but the bottle resonators in the bpipes killed all CIS/drone/rasp with my cat less Titan and has done the same for others as well.[/quote]

I think all Armadas have the four cats from the factory. My 04 did, as all others that I have seen.
The early Titans had two cats and resonators on the 2WD and four cats on the 4wd, as you said.

#46 ·
To the OP yes some people have issues with cracked exhaust manifolds. What grade of fuel do you "usually" run in the truck? Low, mid, or high? Just curious.

scr38 now that's an explanation I can understand. I've never owned a 2wd SUV so I can't speak on the 2wd Madas. Also YEARS ago ( ;-) ) we would replace our catalytic converters with glass packs because the resonance after replacing them with a length of pipe was a little to much. So if the 2wds didn't have cats in the B-pipe putting something there to help with resonance would make sense.
Some have installed headers and move the sensors to read from the B pipe cats with a retune so I'm sure they all had to have been 4wd models.

#48 ·
Hy guys just need a help on a dilema that im in, i got a 04 armADA WITH 132K that didnt pass smog because of a P0420 & P0430 . The guy from the smog shop told me that hes pretty shure is the catalyc convertes. The stealer whants 3k to replace them and im kind of tight with money right now , i have search this forum apparently they replace the exhaust manifold whit the JBA manifold but they dont come with catalytic converter. My question is can i buy the JBA manifold and a catalyc converter and welded? and i do live in california just wondering if any people from california had this problem and how did they fix it . thanks in advance

#49 ·
Yes u can get the jba short headers and weld the cats on. A couple of the guys on here who live in cali and other smog state did this. I think E&J did it and he is in California. Also contact Jeff at Cajun they are knowledgeable on this along with their bpipes and tuning.

#50 ·
Ntrdragn pegged it! I'm not aware of any "prefabbed" setups for Cali. I know Jeff at Cajun does do "prefabs" that he sells for non-Cali Mada's and Titans. I don't think he does them for Cali though he may do a special order if asked. You'll have to check with him on that. Either way, you'll come out WAY ahead with an aftermarket setup vs. OEM. JBA shorties with OEM cats are what you will need to do.

#52 ·
California Manifolds & Cats $845 +

Hey tjyosh,

I just replaced Manifold-Cats on 3/21. I looked online and there are many offerings but, none for California. I went to an excellent Shop and they can get aftermarket parts but, not the Man-Cats! They charged me same as dealer $845 . What was my benefit? I felt they were honest just like their Yelp reviews. They did not up-sell me. I didn't need the O2 sensors ($285 dealer ~ $160 aftermarket) I saved on labor ($373 dealer ~ $315 shop). They also repaired a leak of thermostat & housing. The mechanic is a small business owner of 19 years and, in all appearances, very reputable. So, I felt I received good and honest service. The cost was almost as the much as the dealer so, the difference is the people. Know this, it's our only personal vehicle and is used all the time. I don't have the luxury of doing the job myself. But, if YOU have the time and your issue is a cracked manifold, it can be removed and welded to fix. (see pics). However, if your'e getting an 0420 code, your CAT has probably failed. Moreover, if you go too long without repair (I was told) the stone inside the CAT can break to pieces sending them to damage the other CAT or the engine. It's a poor design for sure. Nissan should have built with flange between CAT and Manifold.

Anyhow, my cost was $844.49 x 2 (Man-CAT) Labor, Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set $19.99, Labor for Man-CAT replacement $630.00, +Tax.

The Shop I went to is National Motorworks:

California Manifolds & Cats $845 +

If you're in California (or not) you may find some help from my posted reply

Armada catalytic converter issues... anybody having them?

:eek:

Attachments

#53 ·
Hey tjyosh,

I just replaced Manifold-Cats on 3/21. I looked online and there are many offerings but, none for California. I went to an excellent Shop and they can get aftermarket parts but, not the Man-Cats! They charged me same as dealer $845 . What was my benefit? I felt they were honest just like their Yelp reviews. They did not up-sell me. I didn't need the O2 sensors ($285 dealer ~ $160 aftermarket) I saved on labor ($373 dealer ~ $315 shop). They also repaired a leak of thermostat & housing. The mechanic is a small business owner of 19 years and, in all appearances, very reputable. So, I felt I received good and honest service. The cost was almost as the much as the dealer so, the difference is the people. Know this, it's our only personal vehicle and is used all the time. I don't have the luxury of doing the job myself. But, if YOU have the time and your issue is a cracked manifold, it can be removed and welded to fix. (see pics). However, if your'e getting an 0420 code, your CAT has probably failed. Moreover, if you go too long without repair (I was told) the stone inside the CAT can break to pieces sending them to damage the other CAT or the engine. It's a poor design for sure. Nissan should have built with flange between CAT and Manifold.

Anyhow, my cost was $844.49 x 2 (Man-CAT) Labor, Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set $19.99, Labor for Man-CAT replacement $630.00, +Tax.

The Shop I went to is National Motorworks:
Cool thanks nassco that really helps so im looking at a $2,400.00 dlls job? Im guessing by your nick name you work at nassco i also live here in chula vista so that shop is only like 5 miles away from my house really appreciate the help bro.

#54 ·
If you want Jeff at Cajun, he's on "titan talk" forum every day, or just google up
Cajun B-pipes.......that's his website. He is so informative, he knows and completely understand all the California issues, He was a tremendous help to me. He is the Titan/Armada guru.....cll him, you won't regret it !

#55 ·
Your best bet if you are not looking to spend too much money is to just look for some low mileage manifolds. I got mine from somebody that upgraded to headers on their Nissan titan. I put about 50k miles on them since. I only spent about $150 for them.

If you upgrade to jba headers you will have to get a tune upgrade also or your engine will run too lean. That's like another $300.

#58 ·
This thread is old but I read it before I did my exhaust and the info is wrong. My 2005 2WD Armada had 4 cats, not 2. I had an exhaust shop cut the two rear bottles out and they were catted.

#59 ·
Nightowl I've tried to PM you but your inbox is full

Maybe someone else can answer though. I have a CAI on my QX which is at the shop right now. The shop says I need new manifolds and catalytic converters. If I went with long tube headers and b-pipes would I need to purchase a entire new exhaust as well or could I run with with the stock exhaust? Secondly would I have to get it re-tuned or could I just buy a programmer or would I not need anything different? I live in Michigan and we do not have emissions testing. Any help would be appreciated

#60 ·
The LT headers and b-pipes should bolt on directly to either the OE or an aftermarket exhaust. If anything, the exhaust resonance with said upgrades with an OE exhaust would sound slightly milder when compared to an aftermarket exhaust such as JBA, Magnaflow, Borla, etc.

You could upgrade and not re-tune via Uprev but you risk the motor of running too lean. Also, Uprev will not only correctly tune your truck, but you'll see optimal gains in HP/TQ and at the same time, possibly see an improvement in MPG.

#63 ·
Recently I went out of town. On the drive there I had to pull over. To get back on the road I had put it into manuel and caught speed quick... (2006 Nissan Armada) After getting home my truck started to have a rough acceleration. As if I had a ball on my tires... But as soon. As I let go the gas it would b smooth again. Took it to get checked and everyone saying its the catalytic converter.
So I took to muffler shop and got them removed for now(quick fix) .
My truck has 4. Two on top by motor and two on bottom ..
I got the two bottom removed and the two top ones cleaned out...

Has anyone gone thru this

#64 ·
Has anyone gone thru this
as you see it has been as problem for some.

the cats have a finite life cycle, and since you have an 06, its possible you have the oem cats on board.
whats your mileage? did you just buy the car recently or have you had it since day one?

you should look for trouble codes at the obd port. that is your first step. likely the cats are just worn. your 02 sensors may be faulty. you could have an exhaust leak upstream, bad coil packs, plugs, petrol....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.