Fuel Pump? - Page 2 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #11 of 19 Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 PM
screamineagle
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So is that all that is involved. If you get the whole assembly you just cut carpet. Disconnect - Pull out- Replace - Reconnect - Done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Dustoff-00
SHIFT_Hardcore

Do you have to have the special tool to get the lock ring off? Or am I doing something wrong? I guess my lock ring is really locked.

Paul

2004 Silver LE 4X4 - NAV/DVD/Zoomers Exhaust/K&N/2' Timing Advance
2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4dr (Forest Green)
1993 Honda CBR900RR
1990 Mustang GT (Black)
1970 Mustang Mach 1 (Silver)
2006 Rockwood 8318SS 33' 10" RV TT

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES ..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS.

2 B 1, Ask 1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 AM
mightymouse
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Put some sort of lubricant on the ring, like WD-40 or some such, and then apply some downward pressure on the pump while you turn the ring. It's a trick, but the lubricant will help a great deal.

I remember fighting that thing for a while before a friend suggested putting some lubricant on it. Popped right off after that.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Dustoff-00
SHIFT_Hardcore

I'm such a dumbazz. But sometimes the obvious has to be pointed out to me...thanks

Paul

1993 Honda CBR900RR
1990 Mustang GT (Black)

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES ..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS.

2 B 1, Ask 1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Dustoff-00
SHIFT_Hardcore

Well, I tried the obvious and that is one stubborn lock ring. Any other ideas?

Im thinking this may be a 4 man job cuz its kicking my rearend.

Paul

1993 Honda CBR900RR
1990 Mustang GT (Black)

2 B 1, Ask 1

post #16 of 19 Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM
cad92646
SHIFT_Lurker

Nissan 2004 Armada Fuel Pump change..

LET ME TELL YOU WHAT THE HECK I JUST WENT THROUGH TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!!!!!

THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD!!! YOU SOLVED IT FOR ME!!!

Okay, after my experience trying to figure this damn thing out, I now know how important it is for everyone to post on boards like this exactly what it is the problem they had and what the fix was. You'll understand why after reading what I ALMOST ended up doing, and luckily, thanks to this board, DIDN'T.

I'm naming names here, too.

I live in Southern California. I bought my 2004 Armada new in early 2005. After having gone through 2 Chevy Suburbans and 1 Ford Explorer, all three having had the same damn transmission problems(can you believe that????) I said, NO WAY WILL I BUY ANOTHER AMERICAN CAR!!! Needing a big SUV, at the time in 2005 I decided on the Armada. Let me tell you! 7 years later and 120k now, I have had NO PROBLEMS and I drive this car to death! Kuddos Nissan!

However, since about 90k miles, I've started to have this hesitation problem under acceleration. It's slowly gotten worse over the last few months, a few times to the point of almost not being able to drive it. I researched to death the cause because the local dealer said since I had the ECM relay changed under recall, it couldn't be that, as many on this site claim that problem to be. Was it the IPDM itself? That didn't make sense since if it were bad, the problem would be far more consistent. And my car never gave off a warning light on the dash. And THAT was the problem I've had for over two months - I swear they don't make mechanics anymore, just guys that read what the computer tells them is wrong. If no computer light is on, then to them, there is nothing wrong.

Well there was something wrong!

Surf City Nissan all but told me the same thing: no light, no problem.

I was on the freeway merging into traffic when I had to punch it to make the merge, the car just starting jerking with litterally NO power. Almost caused an accident because I couldn't gain speed to catch up. So I decided to take it to a local mechanic. I explained the problem in detail and luckily, having driven the car all day, by the time I got to the place it was 'acting' up. The head guy drove it with me. I told him to punch it and BAMM - it did it. Just jerked and hesitated. So, he felt it. But after leaving it with him for the full day the next day, they couldn't find anything.

Why? No light, no problem. Computer said car was just fine.

I started to wonder if it was a transmission problem. It was the way it shifted when you let off the pedal, it seemed to want to shift 'properly' almost as if the hesitation was caused by slipping in the passing gear when you punched it.

I then took it to the most highly recommended tranny guy in Bellflower. He drove it with me in it, had it hesitating like crazy, making me feel at least maybe this guy figured it out. We got back and he looked at me and said, 'it's definitely not your tranny'.

Great. Now what?

Being right down the street from Cerritos Auto Square, I took it then to Cerritos Nissan, thinking that since it's such a big place, they must have experience with this and would know how to fix it.

They were really cool there in the service department. But being cool and being 'good' are too different things. After having the car all day, the verdict from them was that it was 'definitely' a clogged exhaust pipe that runs right before the cat converter. Because I had to change both out together, it was going to cost - wait for it ----$3300!!! :eek:

I almost said fix it, since trading it in for a new car with new $700 payments wasn't really what I wanted to do. The damn car is in near perfect condition and aside from that problem, runs perfect and has been very well maintained.

This was last week.

So, deciding NOT to want to pay for that repair, I just about came to the conclusion I was going to trade it in. But having some time, I took it back to the local guy - Dr J's in HB, and paid them to tear the exhaust off and look in the pipes and cats. After a few hours of that, the result was --- wait for it --- perfectly clear and clean.

So WTF? Had I just said 'do it' at Cerritos, I would have paid them $3300 for what? Replace something that wasn't broke? Since they had it all day, and were so convinced that was the problem, didn't they even LOOK at what the pipes looked like? They're pretty easy to remove and see.

So my basic thesis is that Cerritos Nissan's service would have lied to me and screwed me out of $3300. So stay away from that place.

But that still left me with the problem. I had decided that last Wed night, (2/22/12) I was just going to bite the bullet and buy a new car. I wasn't about to spend a couple grand just trying to research what the hell is wrong with my car.

Before the wife got home to car shop - was going to buy a new Armada though - I did a new google search for the issue. I googled before 'Nissan Armada hesitation on acceleration' - and came up with the same solutions - IPDM or ECM. But this time I did, 'How to change a Nissan Armada Fuel Pump'.

That led me to this board. The explanation by Armadaof1 was EXACTLY what I was dealing with. Basically fuel pump. So, just today, I went back to Kevin at Dr Js and told him to change the fuel pump. Just got it back this afternoon....

OH MAN! Made perfect sense. No light because a poor performing fuel pump isn't connected to the emissions system. The fuel pump is only $390. $200 labor to put it in. THE CAR DRIVES LIKE NEW! I mean, apparently not only was it preventing me from 'punching' it, it was also dragging the car in normal driving conditions which was subtle enough to not make me really notice. But with this new one, holy cow! It feels like I put a turbo on it. I guess it's just been that long since it's driven 'right'.

Kevin at Dr J said that they found an outstanding 'TSB' on it for 2004-2006s, but since it's not a safety issue, they didn't recal them. Sounds screwy to me, but hey, for $600 and no need for a new car, I'll deal with it. Hey, 7 year old car with 120k miles that drive like new now is worth every penny.

Bottom line (after that long winded diatribe) - if you have hesitation on acceleration in your Titan or Armada, CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP. It's easy and cheap and worth it!

Your ECM relay or IPDM symptoms are completely different. Your car will actually die if those are bad. Or not start at all. That's not a symptom of a bad fuel pump.

Last edited by cad92646; 02-24-2012 at 08:33 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
brock24
SHIFT_Lurker

qx

do u know if i can get to the fuel pump thru under the seat on a 2006 infiniti qx56
post #18 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 PM
cad92646
SHIFT_Lurker

Fuel pump

Yeah, it should be the same basic car. You have to remove the back driver's side seat because the metal framing of the seat is in the way. If you pull the seat part forward, you'll see the carpet with a clear square cut in it. Just pull that back and you'll see the three screws that hold the cover over the pump assembly.

As a note after having driven the car now for almost 2 months with the new fuel pump, I've noticed something. Make sure you replace the ENTIRE assembly, not just the pump. On the pump is the fuel sending unit which tells the dash gauge your fuel status. The manual always said the car holds 26 gallons, yet for the 7 years I've had the car, the very most I've been able to put in it with the light screaming at me the car was empty was 22.5 gallons. Well, with this new pump, apparently it sucks from the very bottom of the tank because I now can run it almost empty and fill it to nearly 26 gallons. What used to cost $85 or so to fill up now is over $100 (at $4.40 a gallon here in SoCal)

In other words, everything works better.

What a difference!

Stupid dealers.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 PM
champis
SHIFT_Lurker

I hope yo're right

I have the same QX56 hesitation problems in Baja Mexico, here it is like 45C in the summer so I'll be buying a new fuel pump and see wath happens!!!
QX56 2004 75K miles

Last edited by champis; 06-11-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode