How to replace the front struts and springs - Page 4 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #31 of 37 Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 PM
ebqx56
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

LIFTING QX56 or ARMADA

Im thinking of lifting my 2004 QX56 2-4 inches! Can anyone help with the most economical and right way to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 10-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Kooshtaka
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebqx56 View Post
Im thinking of lifting my 2004 QX56 2-4 inches! Can anyone help with the most economical and right way to go?
Check out PRG mini lift... or do 5100s (on top perch) with Raybestos/Napa/moog HD rear springs and 2 inch rear pucks/spacers. I'd suggest PRG rear pucks.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #33 of 37 Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM
primoV8
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebqx56 View Post
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshtaka View Post
Check out PRG mini lift... or do 5100s (on top perch) with Raybestos/Napa/moog HD rear springs and 2 inch rear pucks/spacers. I'd suggest PRG rear pucks.
Not only will you achieve the height you're aiming for, the ride will improve just as much from the Bilsteins and HD springs. But lets not forget the most important thing... getting the truck aligned correctly after installing said parts.

"I may think I have inalienable rights to be alive and happy but I don't - life is a blessing."

- Terrence McNally
post #34 of 37 Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Kooshtaka
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primoV8 View Post
This.

Not only will you achieve the height you're aiming for, the ride will improve just as much from the Bilsteins and HD springs. But lets not forget the most important thing... getting the truck aligned correctly after installing said parts.
Ditto about the alignment!!

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
post #35 of 37 Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Adam Nassin
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I just replaced my Front Shocks and Springs, car seems to be Higher in front now... Will the rear adjust soon? (2008)
Don't know if you need to wait for the new springs to settle to match the factory spring height. I just change my mada's front struts with bilstein 5100 set to the lowest setting and re-used the factory springs. It is all good now, same height and handles better. Has an appointment for alignment tomorrow.
post #36 of 37 Old 05-12-2015, 11:22 PM
Jasontamu
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

my install info:

Thanks ntrddragn for your input on this thread.
Thanks Pops for your addition as well here - http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8988

I used info from pops thread and this is what i did to get mine done:

Three top bolts are 14mm:

From there, i think removed the sway bar at the end link connection and the bottom bolt:

I flat black spray painted the rotors using high temp paint.....hate looking at rusty hats...so i hand scuffed them down a bit, wiped them really good and then sprayed them.

Rotors painted:

The shock just came right out with little to no effort, lots of room and easy to do.

I had the entire front of the armada on jack stands and the rear chocked at the tires.

Was a easy job really. front took me about 30 minutes total to get them off. on the way to work that day i stopped by a local shop and they swapped the springs to the bilstein shocks for $30 bucks cash.

BIG HINT! - Make sure to take a silver sharpie or a paint marker with you and mark the bolt and spring perch orientation. this is crucial!

I marked mine and one side was 100 percent perfect but the other side was a hair off and took some persuasion.

next day installling them back on took at most an hour because before installing the bilstiens back on i changed out all the alignment bolts with the moog camber bolts.

to do that i put a jack under the lower control arm and simply supported the lower control arm minus the shock installed and took one bolt out at a time. very very easy.

oem bolts are 19mm nuts paired with 22mm head on the bolt side.

When reinstalling i put the head side of the moog bolts facing each other - i did this because alignment techs wont be having to push one way, then switch to the next bolt and push the other way. with the head of the bolt on the aft side of the lower arm on the fwd side, this helps a bit.

The entire front minus the driving to the shop time, took about 1.5 total. I think what really made everything very quick is a few things, 1. I have done this all before on my titan, and 2. i had all the tools i needed.

Tools used:
Long handle wrenchs - make the job easier.
breaker bars - have small one with ratcheting feature.
electric impact gun
impact extenstion - 6 inch
deep and short sockets.
PB blasted everything nut and bolt head location the night before.

Job went very very smooth up front.

Rear I slapped in a 1.5 inch prg lift spacer in the coil bucket under the factory spring, paired with airrite red airbags for towing. also painted rear hats on rotors too.
The rear install was easy as well minus my drivers side toe bolt issue at alignment shop, Discussed here - http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49034

Hope this helps others as this thread helped me.

-J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal1.jpg
Views:	1501
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	28009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remove2.jpg
Views:	1570
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	28017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Brake Rotor paint1.jpg
Views:	1502
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	28025  

Last edited by Jasontamu; 05-12-2015 at 11:26 PM.
post #37 of 37 Old 03-27-2016, 01:34 PM
kl001
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I just replaced my Front Shocks and Springs, car seems to be Higher in front now... Will the rear adjust soon? (2008)
I have the same issue. I put some aftermarket front struts with coils since my OEM coilover BROKE. Now the truck sits higher (I'd say a couple inches higher) in the front.

Is there a remedy for that? I checked the "how to" section but could not find any solution.

I either need to lift the rear ( I have the autoleveing airshocks there) or replace them with a standard set of springs and struts to match the height in the front.
Any suggestions? Did anybody have the same issue? How did you resolve it?
Thank you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode