Radiator removal/replacment - Page 6 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #51 of 60 Old 07-02-2015, 03:44 PM
E&J push'n wind
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

SE, I think you meant to say 6 pt. 6 pt sockets and wrenches are ALWAYS better when turning nuts and bolts. A 12 pt does in fact give you the possibility of rounding the corners because that is all that is "gripped." A 6 pt makes full contact with each side of the nut or bolt. Hence an impact socket will NEVER be a 12 pt but rather 6 pt.

There are 6 pt wrenches that will do a job like this better when the corners of the nut have been rounded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 AM
SE Off Road1
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I actually used a ratcheting 12 pt. open-end on this application since it seemed to grip the nut better than my 6 pt. The fan bolts are very soft metal and with the 12 pt. there is more points of contact on the fastener. I do agree through a 6 pt. is normally less likely to round off a fastener.

[IMG][/IMG]

2005 SE Off Road: Borla Dual SS Cat Back, K&N Air Charger, CSF 3328 Aluminum Radiator, Bilstein HD's, Grille Craft Upper and Lower Grill, Burtman Rear Air Reflector, Manik SS Nerf Bars, Nissan Tow Mirrors, AirLift 1000 Rear Springs.
post #53 of 60 Old 09-16-2015, 07:53 AM
AlbaTiVo
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Got home last night to coolant on the floor and a cracked radiator. I started the removal process last night and got to removing the fan and the first bolt sheared. I stopped at that point and put everything back together thinking it will have to go to a shop. This morning I am wondering if that pulley the fan attaches to is easily removed? If any more of the bolts snap I could drill them out after removing the pulley. Can anyone help?
post #54 of 60 Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 AM
SE Off Road1
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbaTiVo View Post
Got home last night to coolant on the floor and a cracked radiator. I started the removal process last night and got to removing the fan and the first bolt sheared. I stopped at that point and put everything back together thinking it will have to go to a shop. This morning I am wondering if that pulley the fan attaches to is easily removed? If any more of the bolts snap I could drill them out after removing the pulley. Can anyone help?
The bolts need to be removed before you can remove the pulley. What type of wrench were you using to remove the bolts? You need a tight fitting open-end with No Play. A swift tug will break them free pretty easily. If there is any play between the wrench and fastener rounding will occur as you discovered. Can you get a small vice grip on the bolt?
What year is your truck? How many miles?

2005 SE Off Road: Borla Dual SS Cat Back, K&N Air Charger, CSF 3328 Aluminum Radiator, Bilstein HD's, Grille Craft Upper and Lower Grill, Burtman Rear Air Reflector, Manik SS Nerf Bars, Nissan Tow Mirrors, AirLift 1000 Rear Springs.
post #55 of 60 Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 AM
AlbaTiVo
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Off Road1 View Post
The bolts need to be removed before you can remove the pulley. What type of wrench were you using to remove the bolts? You need a tight fitting open-end with No Play. A swift tug will break them free pretty easily. If there is any play between the wrench and fastener rounding will occur as you discovered. Can you get a small vice grip on the bolt?
What year is your truck? How many miles?
Okay, so if I take out the rest of the bolts, even if they snap I can remove the pulley and drill the bolts out? Using a 10mm open-ended wrench and it broke free, but sheared off - not rounded at all. It's a 2008 with 152k.
post #56 of 60 Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
SE Off Road1
SHIFT_Hardcore

Yes, once all the nuts are removed the pulley can be removed very easily. You can then replace the pulley and studs. Sorry, I misunderstood I thought you rounded the fastener. Once you get the fan out of the way the rest of the job is very straight forward.

post #57 of 60 Old 09-17-2015, 12:05 PM
AlbaTiVo
SHIFT_Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Off Road1 View Post
Yes, once all the nuts are removed the pulley can be removed very easily. You can then replace the pulley and studs. Sorry, I misunderstood I thought you rounded the fastener. Once you get the fan out of the way the rest of the job is very straight forward.
Thanks for your advice!
post #58 of 60 Old 05-20-2016, 04:28 AM
MyGarage
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just completed this project on my '07 Qx56. Same large crack in the plastic on the passenger side. A HUGE THANK YOU to "Fix It Angel" on YouTube for posting a step by step video of his repair! Here's the link: https://youtu.be/81GzolKQ0Yw I used his video and this thread on ClubArmada to replace my radiator. I ordered the Spectra Premium CU2691 Radiator from Amazon for $143. It's the same as Autozone carries but I saved $90 by ordering online. Perfect fit. I would have loved to go with Stillen all aluminum, but I bought a few tools with the money saved instead. In the video, he used a prybar to wedge the fan while he loosened the nuts. Worked for me, too. Thank you to all who take the time to share their knowledge and experience. I saved a ton of money by doing this project myself!
post #59 of 60 Old 05-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Believe_ET.2
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

man, looks like the radiators on our madas goes bad alot. My 08 when i only had about 30k or so on her my radiator was leaking too. luckily i was still under warranty so they just replaced it w a brand new one. I did not pay a dime and i saw the bill, WOW! almost 2 thousand dollars and some change... I was really lucky i still had the warranty. Now, no more leaks...

Believe

-2008 LE w Tow Package
-4 piece Billet Grill
-Bug Deflector guard
-Sunroof wind deflector
-HID 6k lows (fogs soon)
-Air Box Mod with K&N Filter (thanks to this forum I was able to do it myself)
-screw on exhaust tip
-15% tint front windows
post #60 of 60 Old 09-19-2016, 09:16 PM
06armadaman
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You definitely want to get away from plastic. I installed all aluminum beauty of a radiator in my 06 Friday. I just feel compelled to share this info. I bought it from Champion Cooling and it has the trans cooler built in. Top and bottom polished looking as sweet as it performs. I waited way too long to do this and had been packing 4 gal of water to go to work and back home in case of loss of fluid. Well this radiator was only $209 plus about $30 shipping. Took a week to get here in Ohio from California but I am satisfied to date. Took longer than advertised to remove original but the new install was about 35 minutes and weighed a fraction of the original even when drained. I hope this helps others looking to go all metal.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode