Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

location of ECM relay?

101K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  steph84847 
#1 ·
The IPDM was replaced in my 08 Mada and I'm still having starting probs. I've read the threads re replacing the ECM relay but I'm having no luck finding it in either the fuse box or IPDM box behind it. I've seen the diagram that's been posted, too, but maybe I'm missing something if someone can help me out, please?

Thanks

#4 ·
Look at drawing.

Attachments

#10 ·
BK836, did you finally find your ECM relay? Once you pull out the IPDM (the box directly behind the Fuse box, which is directly behind the battery), there is a white board with several different fuses on it, the IPDM is the white board standing almost vertical, it has tabs that you can release & pull out (its a little difficult with all the wires, but you can twist & turn it out) the ECM is at the bottom, at this time you can use the diagrams you have from this post to determine the ECM, Fog Relay, etc. If you have further questions feel free to repost, we will try to help. Trust I had the same difficult time trying to find this ECM, then I realized the IPDM came out, so you arent the only one.

#12 ·
Once again I think reading this site might have saved me a lot of hassle. A year or so ago we noticed we were losing power when trying to hard accelerate. Had to let off the gas and slowly get the truck moving to avoid a huge power loss. It was real rare and today its at the point where there is a lot of power loss / hesitation from 20mph and up and i can't break 60. No service lights etc. I read up and thanks to this forum the description listed here for the IPDM sounds spot on to my issue. My question is this, I've seen people replace the IPDM unit and the ECM relay.

I'm curious is it two fault points? If its just the relay swapping it reveals that and if that doesn't work it might be replace the IPDM? I am trying to build a plan of attack because it didn't really hit us till today and were smack in the middle of a holiday weekend. Sigh!

Bruce

#13 ·
Switching the ECU (ECM) Relay with the Fog Light Relay will tell you if the ECU Relay was the culprit, and get you where you are going. It is the Relay that they updated. Although a new IPDM P/N exist, we haven't found any evidence that the design inside the board was changed, though the Relay has been.

The new Relay is available et the Dealers for just about $3. So feel free to pick it up there.

The original ECU Relay had a built in Diode, unlike the other Relays. This feature protected the ECU, but shortened the life of the Relay.

Nissan uses a different source of Relay now, and it is best to buy it from them if needed. In the very early years, Nissan was changing out complete IPDM, not the relay. This eventually changed. Ask for Warranty coverage first.

Reactions: marctronixx
#14 ·
Thanks Titan_Blue. I have an 2008 that just ran out of warranty and they aren't big on repairing things once warranty is out, even when its a known issue unless there is a hard recall.

My roof leaks water through the drainage ducts in the roof, dealer says the are getting clogged. They've charged us $114 to clean even though this has been happening since mile 3000k. They lost the history on us bringing it in prior to warranty dropping. Imagine that, those trips vanished.

I appreciate the info, time to give it a shot.

Bruce

#15 ·
recall

Bruce,

Major of the armadas have recalls on the ECM relay. Best thing to do since some people live far from Nissan dealers. Is call 1800NISSAN1. This is what I did. Follow the automated service for recalls. When they finally get on the phone they will ask you your VIN number on your mada and they will tell you all Recall listed under that VIN number. Then they'll ask where you live so they can find the closest Nissan and tell you to go there and get the service done. I called but never got the service done. Dumb me. But nothing wrong with my car so I dont want the dealers to Mess it up. lol

#16 ·
Is this something that continually goes bad?

My '04 Armada wouldn't start today. The engine cranked, but wouldn't start. I left it where it was and came back to it after work thinking it might be the battery. To my surprise, it started.

I drove a block and the suv stalled while at a stop sign and wouldn't start again. This thing is WAY too heavy to push uphill by yourself. Either that or my sedentary lifestyle is taking it's toll.

I started doing a little research. I figure you need fuel, spark, compression, and the starter motor to get it going. Considering that fuel, spark, and compression have been good so far and the starter seems to crank just fine I ended up here.

I found the IPDM and it seems like I need to remove the cowl to get enough leverage to pull the ECM and fog light relay, so I decided to wait until the morning when there's more light.

#18 ·
Go and get the recall done but don't forget to swap back the fog light relay because the dealer now only changes the ECM and not the whole ipdm.

#19 ·
Hmph. I just went out there and tested it again. It's really hot out right now.

The car had trouble starting again.

I checked the battery with a volt-meter and the car turned off - it gave me 12.88 volts, so I don't think I have an issue with the battery.

The starter sounds like it has the same amount of power as when I have successful instant starts.

Looks like I have a new code P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Curcuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.