Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Car seats

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  KMDColo 
#1 ·
My 2nd child was finally born this past Friday on 5/1. Just so happy she is healthy. With only one car seat prior, I had it in the second row in the middle. With the second car seat in the mix now, I pushed the other car seat behind the drivers side (using the car seat anchors) and the second car seat (newborn) in the middle anchored with the seat belt. Is this how most of you have it set up? Just wondering if my set up is safe one.

#2 ·
When our kids were still in car seats (many years ago!!), my wife wanted the older one on the passenger side rather than behind her on the drivers side. Her reasoning, which made sense, was that she wanted to be able to look over her shoulder and see the older one, and she couldn't do that if he was directly behind her. Also, when parked on the curb, it meant that she got him in and out of the car on the curb side, rather than having to stand out in traffic.

Now, the older one (when he's home from college) makes us ride in the back seat as he chauffeurs us around!!

Keith

#4 ·
When our kids were still in car seats (many years ago!!), my wife wanted the older one on the passenger side rather than behind her on the drivers side. Her reasoning, which made sense, was that she wanted to be able to look over her shoulder and see the older one, and she couldn't do that if he was directly behind her. Also, when parked on the curb, it meant that she got him in and out of the car on the curb side, rather than having to stand out in traffic.

Now, the older one (when he's home from college) makes us ride in the back seat as he chauffeurs us around!!

Keith
LOL....yeah thats pretty much what happens when my parents or the in-laws are with us. Its the norm.

I don't see why that wouldn't be safe, just more of a pain to get the infant seat in having to reach in that far, instead of having it right at the door. We have twins, so we always had each of them behind 1 of the front seats.
Yeah my wife wants to sit in the back with the newborn for awhile (as we did our first child) and figured if the seats are behind driver and passenger, she would have to climb in before the baby is clicked in. With the baby in the middle and her sitting behind the passengers side, she's free to get in and out of the mada without someone having to remove the baby first.

I'm just really surprised there are no car seat anchors with the middle seat, at least the 08's. I guess its just something standard on most vehicles now.

#6 ·
Yeah my wife wants to sit in the back with the newborn for awhile (as we did our first child) and figured if the seats are behind driver and passenger, she would have to climb in before the baby is clicked in. With the baby in the middle and her sitting behind the passengers side, she's free to get in and out of the mada without someone having to remove the baby first.
Oh I see, I didn't get that from the OP, sorry. I THOUGHT mine has anchors in the middle seat, but honestly I've never checked.

So long as the middle seat belt ratchets back when fully extended, there really isn't a big disadvantage to using the seatbelt instead of the anchors. If a seat belt can hold a 250lb person in place in a crash, it can hold a 15lb infant in a car seat. I wouldn't worry about it at all on one of these.

#5 ·
Regdawg congrats on the new addition. I to have two kids now in car seats however when we bought our Armada we did not think it out and got the 2nd row Captains. We have a kid on each side. No other options. By putting one in the middle I can see how nice that would be.

#9 · (Edited)
I have three in car seats right now, two forward facing and one infant seat. My oldest isn't old enough to fasten herself in so I have the two oldest in the rear and the infant the second row behind the passenger seat. I tried have the oldest sit in the center position in the 3rd row, but it was a pain in the butt to get back there to fasten her in. The third row doesn't support tethering in the outboard positions so I installed my own anchors using the cargo tie down holds.

I see the benefit of sitting in the middle, but it not an option for Armada's with buckets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.