Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

2009 Armada AV unit fried??? HELP

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ntrddragn 
#1 ·
As previously posted the heating is not working on our 2009 Armada (42,000Miles) We also noticed tire pressure and trip mileage not registering either. So the dealer tells us they are not sure what's going on.....they can't get a trouble code to register and they are certain we need a new AV unit which will cost $4500. Anyone had these issues. We bought a nissan for the first time because we heard they were so reliable....not so much! Needless to say I'm extremely angry and also upset I don't have extended warranty. I should also mention we do not have any after market items lined into our wiring or modules so there is no reason this should happen.

#2 ·
I think the TPMS sends to the BCM that the AV reads it from. HVAC I'm not sure if it is independent or depends on the BCM. Seems odd that they're telling you it's the AV when the HVAC is completely seperate from the AV other than just the Temperature display.

#3 · (Edited)
If they are telling you they don't know what's going on but tell you to replace the av for 4500? I would question that. I would get in writing that if that doesn't fix the issue they will refund your 4500 and let u keep the new av unit and fix the real problem for free.

There is no heat at all? Do you hear the vent switching from side to side when you turn the dial from cold to hot? Maybe try resetting the car by removing the battery for 15 mins or so.

Trying to send this from GNex using auto guide app.

#4 ·
the fan is still running and there seems to be a bit of heat coming out. possibly the last setting we had it at before all the controls died? There is nothing registering on the dash anymore as far as internal and external temperature and it says the climate control is off even though the fan is running. buttons and dials are not working. the comfort setting is no longer an item that you can choose in Settings anymore....it is the lighter color similar to what happens to the Nav options when you're driving. I can't see it being the AV as the Navigation is still functioning fine. 4 hrs of labour to pay for and they can't tell me what's wrong.

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
the AV is embedded with all the controls on the car. the BCM uses the CAN network in the car to talk to all the sensors and the AV is in the mix because you can change the HVAC settings and they show up on the screen. you can even TALK to the car and TELL it what temp you want! so yea the AV does play in this game.

i understand why the dealer is suggesting to replace the AV first, because it could be damaged and could be throwing all sorts of incorrect codes and also could be keeping the BCM and other modules from relaying proper data through the CAN system.

And please, with all due respect my new friend :), the armada is one of _THE_ most reliable cars on the road today! YOU had an isolated incident. please do not be so quick to judge the car based on your one isolated incident. what has happened to you is not a common issue with these cars.

but, yeah, i agree with the dealer on this one. i totally see their point....

#7 ·
I don't understand being charged for 4-hrs of labor when there is still no answer. If they want to learn about a new problem on my car, I don't want to be billed for it. If I am going to be billed, I would want a definite answer instead of throwing more money at it just to find out that wasn't it. I'm sorry but I believe in only paying for a Solution not a stinkin' Experiment. If someone is going to learn on it through trial and error while replacing stupid expensive parts, I'd rather do that myself. I think I'd have to drop kick them in the groin if they were trying to bill me like that.

#8 ·
haha Bob I totally agree with you. They wanted to charge us $450 for the labour but decided they would give us a break at $200. Geeee thanks!?!

so the dealer is now 60 to 80 percent sure that it's the a/c auto amp. Hopefully it is cause the part is considerably cheaper and my husband can install it himself.

we live in Canada so I'm going to order the part online out of the US. Part is $327.83 here and $172.73 there. That should help recoup some of those labour costs. Unless of course it is the AV then we're down another $172.73.

thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

I'll keep you udated on the progress. Fingers crossed it's the a/c auto amp! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.