Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Click when starting

16K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  d50h 
#1 ·
So for the last couple of weeks my mada has been having issues starting. I get the key turn it and hear a click around the starter area. I keep trying and eventually it will start. The other day i ran into the same issue and figured my battery was the culprit as the amps were low. I had replaced the battery and still clicked the one time and eventually started. Today had all my kids with me and got stranded at my sister in laws and decided to tackle the bastard of a project of the starter. Finally after a grueling 2 hours of heat exhaustion and some choice words it was done. The problem is ... It still won't start. I am asking anyone with any ideas of what to try next. I did try jumping it with another car and couldn't pull any obd codes either. I feel like I have has my *** kicked and not sure what to try next. Any wisdom shared is much appreciated. It is a 08 se by the way. My baby is sleeping a ways from home tonight and my kids hated the borrowed ride tonight lol.

#4 ·
It sounds like one of the battery cables is loose. Check both ends of the cables

#8 ·
I would say that's a long shot. And with the new starter doing exactly the same thing leads me to believe the issue lays somewhere else. I'm dreading doing this again lol my ribs and stomach are bruised from laying on them trying to reach in that area. One more day of recovery.

#9 ·
Broke it all down to the starter again. Shorted the starter while installed and clicked a lot finally it caught the gear and turned over. Put it all back together and no issues in the last two days. Think the alignment of pinion gear was off or something upon installing. Oh well starts no without issues and I will take it. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

#10 ·
That great and I bet a huge relief!

#13 ·
Could be, but the security light stops when key is on,would a bad key still turn the engine over or would it prevent it at the starter? I can hear a click at the starter almost like the solenoid is working but not the motor. I will basically short it and see if I can get it to turn again and maybe get it to the shop.

#15 ·
All fixed wasn't the starter or battery. A hair line crack in on of the fusible links was causing it to start and not start at times. Oh well good to know I can get to the starter in about 15 min now. And a new battery and starter is there so shouldn't have to worry about those for a while. The connections to battery were clean and the crack was was a really hard location to pin point. I only noticed when jumping the starter a spark happening on the terminal which made me investigate further. Thank you all with the ideas and help.

#16 ·
hi!!!

i am actually having the same issue. I will wait a couple of minutes between starts and it works. i hear the starter click and then nothing. i take the key in and out and try again.

DO you have a pic of what was wrong? i see you mention "fusible links" but do you have a part number or something that i can look at?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.