Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

How much TT is too much?

10K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  liquid1 
#1 ·
So I'm a new Mada owner, 2014 Platinum so I know my basic specs, 15,100 GCWR and if I'm doing my math right, technically I know I'm within all the right weights, but I'm worried about overall length, sway and overall performance. I'm looking to get a 2016 crossroads sunset trail 28bh. It's 32'3", 6,609 dry (mostly worried it's a bit heavy) with 792# on the hitch. I figured about 600# in the truck (ppl n dogs with a bit left for incidentals) that leaves plenty left for stuffing the trailer (little over 1,200 before hitting cap.) without going over, but not sure being at the top of the scales is really where I want to be especially with the length. Assuming i will go with a wdh w sway control and beefier tires, thoughts on drive ability- mostly all flat driving. Crazy? Or no problemo as long as I watch the overall wts.?

#2 ·
I can only pass on my experience. I had an Airstream 25' with gross of 7000 and tongue of about 750 for 2 years. The Armada was awesome. I towed it on a 2000 mile trip from MO to WA state thru some high altitudes and mountains up to 8000 feet. On the flat the Armada cruises at about 65 to 67 and 2200 rpm in 4th. Any slower and the torque drops so it has a tendency to down shift even on small grades. At 65 it will pull small grades in 4th. On a moderate grade I let it drop to 55 and drop into third until I pull the hill. I just returned from a 2000 mi round trip to Yellowstone and grand Teton at altitudes up to 8500 feet. The worst was the Teton pass at 8500 feet and a 10% grade!! The Armada handled it although with this grade I was in 3rd and sometimes 2nd and down to 35-40 mph. But the engine and transmission temp never rose a bit through all kinds of terrain. I have about 5300 miles with the Armada and the 25 footer.

I just upgraded to a 28' Airstream with gross of 7600 and tongue of 950. The Armada tongue limit is 900 so I am over by 50. However, as I am well under the max gross, I will load heavy items in the trailer from mid ships back and lighter items from mid ship forwarded to offset the 50 lbs plus I am over the tongue weight. As a pilot I know center of gravity is important so am used to managing weight distribution. I have only been on a few short trips so far, but I cannot tell a significant difference between the feel of the 25 and 28 when towing.

Hope this gives you some useful info and good luck! Enjoy your TT - we definitely do!M

#4 ·
Thanks for your experiences. Ultimately I think we are going to go for a lighter overall trailer (gotta luv all the new 1/2 ton towables) but the ones I like r on the longer side (34/35' range). I know the Mada can pull it fine, but anyone know whether they feel like they r being tossed about like a rag doll on the road with sway? We're in WI n stay localish so mountains aren't an issue.

#5 ·
They might, a lot depends on weight distribution across the trailer axles. I started with an Equalizer hitch but ended up with a Reese Dual Cam that I liked better. It was a little tougher to install but the cams seemed to work better for sway. RVWholesalers.com is where I bought everything from because I couldn't find anywhere else that cost less with great service. Be sure to get the Nissan Big Tow mirrors, there is no substitute for them.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry to steal this thread, but I have a similar question. I have an 2011 Mada with Tow package and I currently tow a 2014 272BHSWE Bullet with a hitch weight (on paper) of 570 and a measured camping load weight of around 6k on with back tires in middle of scale. (I do not remember what my hitch weight was that day????) The Bullet is around 31ft long. We had a third child and now want to move to a 2016 Passport 3320BHWE Grand Touring which on paper has a hitch weight of 740 and a shipping weight of 6947 and is 36ft long. We did not really put anything in the mada except the kids and the oldest is 6. I load everything in the trailer and as much as I can around the wheels. The new trailer has more cargo space in this area as the current trailer.

Any thoughts on pulling this. I live in Oregon and we are pretty much at see level and I rarely climb more than small coastal mountains/hills. If I go this route it is short term as I plan on moving to a 3/4 ton truck with diesel next season with a longer wheel base since as the kids get older the car will get heavier and the amount of stuff that comes along will get heavier I assume also.

Thoughts please? According to the research I have done is this trailer is really designed for 1/2 ton trucks in all areas although it is heavier than my current Bullet. I am upgrading my brakes to slotted and drilled along with those Titan towing mirrors.

#22 ·
It's definitely NOT for the faint of heart. All things being equal, IMHO the Mada is really only lacking in wheel base and suspension. As for HP & torque, it's got it if you are not in a hurry.

I'd have to agree with pops though, I wouldn't recommend it. I do it out of necessity, if I had a bigger truck I'd probably be happier and that would only be for the rear suspension and again wheelbase but more the suspension.

The short wheelbase does have it's advantages though when it comes to maneuvering, baking onto tight spaces. I've been in some pretty tight spaces that only this short truck with this long trailer would work. With this long trailer a long truck would exclude me from some camp spots.

#7 · (Edited)
I see folks talking about tongue weight quoted in the trailer brochures and just feel compelled to warn that those are notoriously low figures. Right off the bat they don't include propane, propane tanks or batteries so that usually adds nearly 200 pounds plus you need to add the weight of the hitch and bars which is probably another 50-60 pounds.

My trailer (Open Range 216) lists 650 tongue weight in the brochure and when all is said and done it's over 900 on the CAT scale.

Just be careful using brochure weights.

#9 ·
Thanks for the post and I am well aware of the dry tongue weight listed in the catalog compared to the actual tongue weight when batteries and bottles are on it. I have weighed my current trailer a couple of times when going on trips or returning from trips and it is of course heavier than the spec on paper.

My issue here is that I do not own the trailer and it is sitting on th RV dealerships lot, so do you have an idea of what I would do to get a better idea of actual weight?

#8 ·
That's an awful lot of trailer (both weight and length) to be towing with any 1/2 ton SUV or truck.......

#13 ·
My Open Range 216RBS (23' long overall) CAT scales at 6860 fully loaded and 900 on the tongue (I'm moving some stuff around to lower that a little).

I don't think I would want to pull anything bigger or heavier. The Armada does a great job pulling it but I can tell I'm near the limit. Just my opinion.

#14 ·
I second (or third) that. My 26' (brochure length) is actually 30', and should be around these numbers. Since I pack some stuff in the back of the Mada (e.g. Generator, fuel, tools, kids...), I'm pretty sure I'm close (or right on) the vehicle GVWR. Highway speeds are one easy thing, but when I go thru mountain passes, you can feel the Mada is working hard...

#18 ·
Several years ago I used an unmanned highway weigh station in Washington and weighed each wheel individually. In WA when the station is closed they usually turn the readout so you can see it thru the window. This was on a secondary highway and not an interstate. Spent nearly an hour there.

I got each axle weight, left and right plus dropped the tongue on the scale to get the tongue weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.