Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

cat convertor problem

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ntrddragn 
#1 ·
Was told at 60,000 that cats had to be replaced.
Warrranty covered it. Now at 80,000 engine light came on. Dealer said air flow sensor, $250 part, had to be replaced and then said cats on one side over heated and inernally melted had to be replaced and material from cat can be sucked back into the engine and will damage engine if not replaced. This does not make sense to me. Car runs great. Just towed horse trailer 600 miles with no problems although once, after light came on, the engine missed twice. Has been fine since. Acceleration is fine and gas mileage is same. Has anyone else had this problem? I didn't think material from cat could be sucked back into engine, either.

#2 ·
Is the cat that's going bad the same one they replaced? If so then it should not be part of the 80k warranty. I would think it should be from the day they install the new one. The purpose of the cat is for emission regulation... And yes you might have a chance of metal chips getting suck back into the engine. It has happen. When it does it ain't pretty. When the engine is turned off it create a suction back in. Same reason to not turn off your engine if your tail pipe is submerge in water.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
It was one of the cats replaced, but dealer said no way, it's not warrantied. Wouldn't a bad cat cause the Armada to run differently? It's gone over the Siskyous twice since engine light came on (and went off almost immediately) with no change in power. Don't always trust dealer. Was told the brake pads were worn out and I had just replaced them.

#4 ·
For some reason, I've always had problems with Cats on Toyotas & Nissans. I know it used to be because the Japs put crappy ones on there for the US models, I'm guessing it might still be the same for the US made models. I'm currently saving up to shop for some aftermarket ones.

#5 ·
I think you will see performance loss if its clogged or something that is hindering it from performing. It sound like your internal is just mess up but air flow isn't restricted. That sucks that they don't guarantee the new one. I would speak to Nissan USA. I also wanted to restate that it MIGHT suck back debris. It has happened but dont want to scare you into spending money. :)
As for the brakes you can do it yourself. Probably take a good 1 or 2. There is a how to in the how to section.

Pops, are you going with the Cajun b pipe+ cat? IIRC you have the jba shorties?

#6 ·
... Pops, are you going with the Cajun b pipe+ cat? IIRC you have the jba shorties?
Possibly. I don't know enough to make a decision yet. I looked into the setup Jerry (other Jerry) has and it's a little $$$. But it seems that most Cats are so it's not totally ruled out yet. I'm also thinking about asking a couple local shops what they'd charge to piece something together that I can install myself. The couple shops I've spoken to so far said they don't mind putting something together but I'd be better off doing the install myself because of the time it takes to do it. They said the few Titan header installs they've done have been quite cumbersome.

#7 ·
These cat/headers/exhaust system are such a PITA. My friend said that he used exhaust clamps so in case he needs to fix a section he doesn't have to undo the welding. He said he has been using clamps for years without issue and always passed smog. Maybe is something you can look into if you have the shop make one for you.

#8 ·
ditto on Richards request about the clamps! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#9 ·
2011 Platinum Edition - owned for nearly 48hrs warning light FFS

Hi
Just wondered if anyone can shed some light on this for me. Was thrilled to be an owner - creeping into 72 hours since picked up car and service engine light on. Dealer says its a cat error code.
The light came on after I filled it with premium - is this my fault?? There was no sticker in the fuel flap and the gas jockey asked me what it takes so I assumed premium.
I hope I havent just bought a whole load of trouble?

#10 ·
Hi
Just wondered if anyone can shed some light on this for me. Was thrilled to be an owner - creeping into 72 hours since picked up car and service engine light on. Dealer says its a cat error code.
The light came on after I filled it with premium - is this my fault?? There was no sticker in the fuel flap and the gas jockey asked me what it takes so I assumed premium.
I hope I havent just bought a whole load of trouble?
No not your fault. Premium wouldn't hurt the car. You might have that problem before you bought. It would make the dealership fix it since you just bought it. That item is warranty for 80K miles or 8yrs which ever come first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.