Steering Wheel Buttons Stopped Working - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Steering Wheel Buttons Stopped Working

As the title says, the steering wheel buttons that control the radio functions have stopped working. The cruise control buttons work fine. The radio works fine from the controls on the dash. Any ideas? Wouldn't you know, my extended warranty expired in November.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 15 Ford Focus Electric (commuter car)
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 70,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-31-2011, 08:41 PM
E&J push'n wind
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
E&J push'n wind is on a distinguished road
Kieth,

If you are feeling industrious and want to dig into it a little, I'd bet it's just the contacts on the switch. I have a Toyota 4Runner that has a switch that controls the rear tailgate window that kept going out. Dealer wanted $80 for the switch (back in the 90's) so I took the switch apart, cleaned it up and filled it with Vasoline. Havent had a problem with it since. The contacts get a carbon buildup on them and it reduces the effectiveness of the switch. Clean them & lube them and they will probably work good as new. Now the only other issue you encounter is, I'd bet there are brushes between the wheel and the steering column. They could also be the culprets if they are gummed up with goop or carbon. That might be a little more involved but worth a shot considering what the dealer is gonna hit you up with unless you know somebody that can work on it for you other than the dealer.

Hope the best for you, Happy New Year!
post #3 of 5 Old 01-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Taze
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Taze is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Taze Send a message via MSN to Taze Send a message via Yahoo to Taze
Isn't the steering wheel radio controls controlled with a wireless unit on our vehicle? I believe it is, which would explain why everything else works, except your steering wheel controls. I'm not exactly sure where it's located, but I can look in the manuals when I get some time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out:
Amaya in my garage at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ABM in my garage at

Tigger in my garage at

Taze

post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. First, since it is all of the switches, not just one, I seriously doubt it is a problem with a bad switch. It could, however, be an issue with the contact within the steering column. However, the second response would negate that issue. Does anybody know for sure whether what Taze is saying is correct?

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 15 Ford Focus Electric (commuter car)
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 70,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
It's not wireless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk444
Hi, I too have had this problem. There is a ribbon in the centre of your steering wheel behind the airbag, which controls your'e cruise control, radio and horn, as well as a number of other things.
It sounds like it is faulty.
Hope this is of use to you.
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/6...o-control.html

There's also a connector for them on the backside of the radio.

http://www.nissanversaforums.com/how...o-buttons.html

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-04-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode