installing a trailer brake controller - Page 2 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #11 of 19 Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
thalia
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thalia is on a distinguished road
Garage
Darn already took it in can't back out now I was going off the first reply said be easier to have someone install it eeeeeerrrrrrggggggg I so dislike being green bout everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 05-27-2012, 07:53 PM
MasterxAce
SHIFT_Newbie

MasterxAce is on a distinguished road
Just an update. The P3 is FANTASTIC! Plugged right in to the Q and right in to controller. Used two self tappers and bam I was towing 67 2x6s in less the 15 minutes. Haha. I mounted it next to the obd port and it's out of the way so I'm not hitting it getting in and out. Also I can see it easily through the steering wheel.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #13 of 19 Old 06-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Utah QXer
SHIFT_Newbie

Utah QXer is on a distinguished road
Where else have people mounted their controllers? What about on a QX? Post some pics please if you've got your Prodigy or P2/P3 mounted in a great spot on a 'mada or a Qx.

post #14 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Utah QXer
SHIFT_Newbie

OK, no replies and I was getting impatient. I thought the unit had to be installed relatively level front-to-back, so first I mounted it hanging from the bottom of the dash, as far to the right as it would fit up against the A/C console. This was good for visibility and reaching by hand, but no good at all for actual driving because my shins were right up against it when pushing on the gas pedal. So I googled images for "P3 installed" and finally figured out it only has to be level left-to-right, not front-to-back. I confirmed this on the Tekonsha site FAQ's, then went out and moved mine straight up from where it was, so two screws into the sloped plastic between the steering column and the A/C console. Now my shins are free, but it is still very close to my knees when driving...not perfect but manageable. I'm 5'9" and can move the seat back slightly, then maybe adjust the pedals forward. I could try putting it on the left side of the steering column, but now I've got two visible holes in the dash already on the right, plus the left side isn't as straight as the right so the L/R leveling would be a challenge. Third option is up on top of the dash, on the left side, right close to the pillar. This would use the permanent bracket and not the quick release, since it would be mounted from the bottom and not the top. I am reluctant...will probably keep it where it is and live with it. I can pop off the bracket most of the time when not towing and just deal with it when I am.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 AM
MasterxAce
SHIFT_Newbie

MasterxAce is on a distinguished road
Should have used sticky tape until you were satisfied. I didn't want holes in the plastic. I mounted mine to the cross rail underneath. I don't hit it but then again I'm 6'1". Also I just now got an email asking ur question. So the late reply is the forums fault.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1340898882.758058.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	11095   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAutoguide1340898909.752764.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	11096  
post #16 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Utah QXer
SHIFT_Newbie

Thanks MasterxAce!

Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like a good spot - I might try it. And I'm kicking myself for not trying with tape first... but I don't blame anybody here but myself. Patience is a virtue...in my case a lost one.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM
coastalbirds
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
coastalbirds is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at purchasing a Proginy P2 brake controller online right now (it's listed on Amazon $115.91; with Prime, it will be free 2 day shipping).

I know Amazon is just trying to up sell, but listed with the "purchased together" is a wiring harness adapter and a mounting bracket. Are either of these really needed?
post #18 of 19 Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Rumplecat
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Rumplecat is on a distinguished road
Garage
I did use the harness. It makes it plug and play.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

James

2004 Armada SE Smoke 4x4, 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID's, LED Interior and Exterior illumination, Chrome OEM Grille, Front Windows Tinted To Mach Back, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, ScanGauge II, Microfilter, Qx56 Chrome Wheels/Steering Wheel, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!
1976 Apache Trailer Hard-side Pop Up
post #19 of 19 Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbirds View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a Proginy P2 brake controller online right now (it's listed on Amazon $115.91; with Prime, it will be free 2 day shipping).

I know Amazon is just trying to up sell, but listed with the "purchased together" is a wiring harness adapter and a mounting bracket. Are either of these really needed?
The harness makes it true plug and play; otherwise, you will have to splice with the harness that should have come with your truck. My brake controller came with two mounts, one a slip-in, and the other a permanent mount.

Keith

- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 15 Ford Focus Electric (commuter car)
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 70,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode