Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

2010 Nissan Maxima SE, Houston, TX

262K views 681 replies 42 participants last post by  PetitFrereArmada 
#1 · (Edited)
After browsing this forum for a while now and after my endless search for a second car and wanting a dependable and spacious family truck, I finally settled for the Nissan Armada. I am not new to the Nissan family, as I currently drive a 2008 Nissan Maxima SE. So, this is my second car because I wanted a spacious SUV for adventure.

http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/

Here is what I have settled for, but I have not closed the deal yet. The dealership is located 4 hours away from my city. I had to drive with a buddy of mine today and the dealership had to send someone out today to show me the car and let me test drive it. After doing all that, I decided I liked it and will like to buy it. Then, I had to take another 4 hours drive back home.

Here it is. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

2010 Nissan Armada SE with 63,700 miles. I am hoping this car last me till over 250K miles and hopefully does not give me a lot of trouble as I plan to take good care of it.

Date of purchase: 5/11/2013

Bought with 63,700 miles on odometer.

CURRENT ODOMETER: 82,000

See less See more
#386 · (Edited)
Took both vehicles today to the dealership for an oil change. Used Coastrol 5W30 with Royal purple filters. My QX was not due for an oil change, but I just wanted to do it since I was getting that of the Maxima done.

#387 ·
I am taking a summer road trip in July for 21 days. My road trip would be through the following states; TX-NM-AZ-Route 66-NV-UT-CO-TX. And if I get cleared from a group project at work, then I may have a few more days to be on vacation and will take a long drive back home because I had always wanted to see Mout Rushmore. So, I will go up to it and then just use a very long route back home. And this long route will make me want to go through the following states; WY-SD-ND-MN-IA-NE-MI-KS-OK. Just enjoying the open road and the drive back home.

If you see me on the road, feel free to honk. Or if you wish to meet, feel free to let me know. I think it would be very interesting if I happen to meet someone from the forum while on my route. I will be dressing up my QX for my trip, so trust me, when you see it you will know it is me.

If you wish to just read about my trip, see pictures and maybe share any tips on what cool places I can visit, feel free to visit my road trip thread posted on exploration portal.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/158004-Road-Trip-in-July-TX-NM-AZ-Route-66-NV-UT-CO-TX-(May-Add-WY-SD-ND-MN-IA-MI-NE-KS-OK)

#391 · (Edited)
Since you mentioned I-15, I just went and looked at my map and yes, I would be driving that route, but not all of it.

My plan is to check out of my hotel in Vegas on July 15. Then drive on I-15 to Zion National Park. Visit the park for a few hours and hit the road again. Destination..., Bryce Canyon National Park.

Jul 15 is a friday. So, hopefully if you are off from work and in my path, would be great to say hello and I could put that thing for you on my roof rack, if you would still like to buy it.

I will be in Moab, UT on 16, 17, 18. I leave Moab on the 19 for Colorado.

Feel free to click on the link of my trip ad see my itinerary.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/158004-Road-Trip-in-July-TX-NM-AZ-Route-66-NV-UT-CO-TX-(May-Add-WY-SD-ND-MN-IA-MI-NE-KS-OK)

#392 · (Edited)
Guys, imagine my surprise today when I got my manual for my QX. Got all the brochures out, was flipping through all of them, including the small ones that talks about maintenance. And as I turned pages towards the end of the booklet, out falls this piece of paper. I take a look at it and it says my QX has upgraded remote start. I almost fell out of the couch in my living room.

Then I thought for a moment that this is just a joke. When I was buying my car, the dealership never mentioned anything about this QX having remote start. And I never asked them if it had remote start. Anyway, what do I have to lose, right?

I take my key fob and follow directions..., I hit lock, unlock and lock...., silence, ONE long second go by and my QX cranks up. My jaw dropped.

All I can say is I am happy the vehicle has remote start.

#394 ·
petite, that's a sweeeeet find right there. Is your security up graded to.

#395 ·
I don't really know if my security is upgraded. The only extra security thing I know about my car is that I have VIN etching throughout the whole vehicle. I asked my insurance company for additional discount, they said no.

Then for protection, I have clear bra on front hood, front headlights, side view mirrors, rear bumper (but I have installed the oem rear bumper protector on it). I bought the car like this. And I really like the clear bra protection, though I don't know how bad this would be for long term use.

Hey, I sent you an email, not a PM. I don't know if you got it. If you got it, feel free to email me back.

#397 ·
Thanks for your compliment.

That would be a great buy. So what are you currently driving now that you plan to replace with the new Armada?

I would be looking forward to seeing your new Armada around Christmas time. I guess you have been good all year.

#401 ·
Cool. No problems.

Thanks. I will post pics mostly on my thread on the expo forum. Feel free to check it out.

#400 ·
@petitfrereArmada ..congratulations once again on that slick (Q) beast and the pleasant discovery of your remote start.on my 11 Armada I had the remote start added by the dealer right into the smart key fob,love it ,specially in the winter. Looking forward to your summer road trip,where will you be posting your adventures?

#403 ·
Thanks again.

Did you buy your car brand new? Did the dealership install it when it was brand new? It seems it is a lot of work to do this when it is installed to work with the original key fob. I am really glad mine has it. I truly could not believe it when I discovered it. The way I had a hard time getting that dealership to agree on my price, if they knew this car had remote start, they would have really refused my offer for this other lady who almost bought it locally.

I will post my trip on the expo forum. Here is a link to my thread...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/158004-Road-Trip-in-July-TX-NM-AZ-Route-66-NV-UT-CO-TX-(May-Add-WY-SD-ND-MN-IA-MO-NE-KS-OK)

#406 · (Edited)
In preparation of my upcoming road trip next month, I saw Valentine One has a new updated V1. So, I had to get it. I sold my current one and added less than what it would cost to get mine updated and I bought a new one which is currently their most up to date. So, V1 is checked and ready for the road trip.

My road trip is going to be about 25 days covering about 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Knowing myself, I cannot cover such long distance without protection and my CB radio to overhear what truckers are saying as we drive along, especially at night.

#407 · (Edited)
Took a 8 hours round trip to Dallas this weekend and passed through a small town and saw this attraction at a Veteran's office and stopped to take a few pics. Thought it looked cool.

#408 · (Edited)
Just playing with these lights to find a good place to place it on my QX if I decide to put them on for a night run in the Colorado mountains. Trying to decide if to place it higher or lower. Feel free to let me know if placing it higher looks better or lower.

If I install it, I can only do it for offraoding because it can easily fall. So, it is ok if it falls while offroad and be smashed, it would not be a problem. But I plan to make it stay firm, if I install it for offroading.

#409 ·
Cool lights. Higher will produce better lighting but the contoured lines match lower. Of was me I would take the lighting higher

#410 ·
Thanks for that. I would prefer it lower, but you make a good point about higher. Just what a close friend told me at work.

#411 · (Edited)
Finally got my QX ready for my over 5,000 miles 25 days road trip. This is how I have it all dressed up for the trip. I will not drive on the freeway with the spot lights because not safe to drive with them on with speeds of over 50mph. So, they would come only only for offroading trip.

After paying a visit to the guy who does my vinyl, I dressed up my QX and drove around town running my errands today. Definitely felt like I was driving a new kind of car as I could see people openly starring at it every where I stopped. And when I parked, I would park far away where it would be by itself before I walk into the store. I did not have time or I could have taken it to a Infiniti just to see what they would say about it.

So this is my road trip look for next month and whenever I am done with my trip and ready for this to come off, it will take me only 30 minutes to take everything off and return my QX back to normal where it blends in with traffic again.

#415 ·
Thanks.

Nice. I hope you enjoyed Moab. Let me know what trails you did while there. I would be quite some long trails while there this time. I am looking at possibly doing the Shafer Trail and Potash Road. Which is right there in Canyonland national Park. So since I plan to go to that park, I am thinking of driving that trail. But it takes about 4 to 6 hours to complete, so it seems like an all day trail.

Looking forward to hearing what trails you were on, seeing your pictures and seeing your videos.

#414 ·
It's not always a good thing when people stare ;)

Seriously though- you've put a ton of time into your truck. That's admirable. Enjoy the trip and safe travels!

#416 ·
Very funny. But also very true.

Thanks for the compliment about my truck and thanks for the safe travels wish.

As much as I like the way it looks now, if you knew me, I prefer my truck all stock. That is why anything I put on it will just be for fun like a road trip. Because when I return from my trip, it will take me not more than 30 minutes and my QX will be back like any other black QX on the roads. But for now, I truly like this look for a road trip and do not mind coming up with another design if I am part of an event. But at the end of the day, my QX can go back to its normal look without anything being modified, nor anything needs to be repainted. It is vinyl and it all peels off very easily.

For that kind of mod, I will not be worried about doing it if I wanted to do it for a trip or for an offroad event.

#418 ·
I have been trying to log into my account for days and just learned the parent company of some car forums including this one was hacked. Well, since I could not retrieve my last screen name, I created a new one. I have emailed the administrators to help me fix this problem.

#422 ·
I have the stock all season highway tires put on by Nissan (crappy Continentals). I aired down my front tires to 26 PSI and my rear tires to 28 PSI. You could try 30 PSI on front/back for your 22s. I don't think you'll lose much height. We did Long Canyon road too. If you go down Long Canyon, you'll either have to go back up to get to Shafer, or you can get on the highway and go back over to Shafer/White Rim on Potash.

There is one steep, narrow, sandy portion of Long Canyon near the top (after the first switch back) that you don't want to lock up your wheels on going down, or spinning out going up, because the grade slants to one side and you'll end up with your fender against the rock walls. Keep it in 4 Lo in 1st gear going down/up. If you go back up, be ready to steer to the left to pull away from the rock wall you'll naturally slide towards. The rest of the trail just go a safe speed you're comfortable with. Most of these trails will not be fun or safe going more than 10-15 MPH.

Long Canyon and Lathrop Canyon are about the same in terms of grade and difficulty, but I don't think either will compromise your QX56. You'll be amazed by the views and steep grades though. Going down Shafer provides the driver's seat a better view than going up. If you go up first, you can go back down before heading to White Rim. You can't do the full loop of White Rim in a day in pretty much any 4x4. Only motorcycles can keep their speed up for that. After 5-6 hours, we had only made it 25 miles. Check my build thread to see my pics. I still haven't gone through my videos to edit and upload. (Btw, the current pic in my signature is on Long Canyon Road, just after going up under the rock.)

#424 ·
I did Long Canyon with my Armada and loved it. So, this time I would love to do it again. And I love the view when doing a trail from top to bottom. I think when I do it, I will do Shafer by going uphill and then going into the main entrance to get into Canyon lands park. Then I would make a uturn and come and Shafer going downhill, because that is what I prefer to do. But I think I will enjoy going up it too.

And yes, on these trails, I go slow. And I remember exactly what spots you are talking about. I did them in my Armada in the rain and yes, I was in 4Lo in 1st gear also and I could feel my Armada slowly sliding to the cliff to fall off. Like no kidding. So, been there experienced that. It was scary and I was all alone in the car and on the trail. I literally stopped for a bit to get traction and sucks to say that when I truly had those BFGoodrich KO2 which were supposed to grip more.

This time, I have this QX with all kinds of buttons. When I engage 4Lo, I will take traction control off, and even engage it in tow mode and hit the button for snow/sand. Then engage 1st speed. And see what the QX does. Just too many buttons to press.

You know, yours tires are 18 inch. So, you have a lot of sidewall. I barely have any. But I may think about airing down just a bit, maybe enough for my TPMS light to come on. I need to check what psi that is on my QX. But I don't have a compressor. So, let me know which one you have. I may just buy one for me to use, though it seems late to order one now off ebay. How much did you pay for yours? Got a link to share with me?

Were you guys wanting to the whole of White Rim? I don't want to spend 5 to 6 hours on it, but by the time I am done for the day, I am sure I may end up spending about 8 to 10 hours on the trails.

#425 ·
I am not surprised. The Armada is a beast. That was probably nothing for it to carry. And remember the self leveling in the rear, so it compensates if at all it felt it was sagging any little bit.

Mine would be basically empty on this trip compared to how loaded yours is. I will have my roof rack, but nothing on top. I wanted to bring my 2 gas cans and 2 water cans to put on my roof rack, but I changed my mind as I do not think I will need them when I will have a cooler full of fruits and water bottles in the trunk.

#426 ·
Yeah, I like having 18" wheels for off-roading for sure. I have this compressor from Amazon, 2 day shipping with Prime, only $37: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1LP17S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We were planning on doing the whole loop, but we didn't even make it to our campsite because we turned back, knowing every mile forward was another mile we'd have to come back the same way. We were definitely tired after a full 10+ hours off-roading for the day.

#428 ·
At last. Thanks moderators for helping me reset my account.

#429 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.