Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

not sure which car to get? armada vs qx56 vs sequoia

33K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  mrazndead 
#1 ·
We've driven all 3. I'm struggling with this decision. QX a little smaller, much more expensive. Upkeep likely more. Such a nice ride, though. Armada nicer interior than Sequoia. Sequoia a little bigger than Armada. Anyone have a similar decision at some point and now happy with their choice?

#2 ·
pretty sure most on here will tell you either Mada or Q. I personally do not like the new look of the Q and just think what mods you can purchase with the money saved by going with a Mada. :D

#3 ·
If you don't mind spending the extra money, the QX56 is tops of those three. Problem I have is that, at that price point (mid 60s and up), there are other SUVs that should be considered. I really like the new Mercedes SUV, plus some Range Rovers are in that price range. I'd pick the Armada over the Sequoia. Only problem I have with the Armada is that there hasn't been a significant update since its introduction nearly 10 years ago. That the Armada is still competitive after that long is testament to how good of a design it was when it came out.

Keith

#6 ·
Hi, thanks.
The mercedes and the range rovers are really much smaller, that is our issue. Also, when I drove the mercedes, I didn't think it drove as nice as the Q. Our only issue with the Q, other than the price, is the size. (need big). We've pretty much ruled out the sequoia after today, so now down to armada and q. Still struggling....
Thanks!

#4 ·
My wife and I were in a similar situation when.we got the Armada. We went with Armada because of what you get for the price you pay.

We really liked a couple features the sequoia has like sliding rear seats, but price was way more and couldn't get all features we wanted at.the price we wanted... Some what of same situation on the qx. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#8 ·
Check with Hertz and Enterprise, believe both rent those vehicles. Might be worth renting one of each for a weekend to compare.

Keith

#9 ·
IMHO, if the dealership wants to sell it, they should be willing to at least loan out a Demo. If not then I would shop elsewhere. I've never bought a brand new vehicle that I couldn't spend at least a full Saturday in. Used vehicles there's no way but brand new has never been a problem after explaining to a GM that I refuse to buy anything new w/o spending a full day in it taking my wife shopping or something.

#11 ·
Keith, the diesel Merc GL is priced lower than the gas models and although it also has less options available, it still has some nice features and has 455 lb-ft of Torque where the Armada has 385 lb-ft. The 3rd row in the GL is definitely more cramped though.

#12 ·
If I were to get one of these, I'd likely go with the diesel, mpg is good, gives you up to 600 miles on a single tank. But, the turbo V8 in the GL450 is pretty sweet as well, and it's only $1K more than the diesel......Might have to go drive one here in a few weeks.....

As far as the 3rd row being more cramped in the Merc, the specs don't support that. The Armada has 32.2 inches of legroom in the 3rd row, the Merc has 35. The QX only has 28.8. Not sure about width, didn't look at that spec. I'm also wondering if the 2nd row seat in the Merc slides for and aft; if so, then that would explain the fact that the Merc has more room in the 3rd but less in the 2nd.

#13 · (Edited)
My mother has a GL350 Diesel almost a year old now... The 3rd row doesn't have as much room but it is fine for most situations. She said "the MPG is a little better but nothing to brag about", for whatever that means. She, my wife, the kids all seem to love it. By kids I mean my 18yr old, 16yr old, and my nephews & nieces from 5yrs old to 10yrs old, so I figure it can't be too bad if all of them like it.

#14 ·
Interesting.....any reliability issues? I'm assuming this is the new body style, correct? (this was completely re-designed for 2012/2013).

#15 ·
It's a 2012 model.. She had HID thrown into the deal so they changed out the Halos for HID. No reliability issues yet. My dad got a $92k 2012 CLS550 the same day and had to tow it in 2-weeks later due to the engine going into limp mode because of a recall that hadn't been done before they sold it. Other than that they've been good, the only thing they don't care for is the extra Blutec additive that has to be refilled in the Diesel but they said it gets refilled for free along with the Free Oil Changes. They are both leased vehicles so that may play a part in it.

#17 ·
I'll chime in here with some thoughts....

Back in 08 we looked at the typicals and had several of your finalists. The wife and I both liked the GL but there was a definite size difference btwn it and the Armada/QX. I don't believe that new version has grown much at all. We went with the Infiniti (abt an 8K price difference if I remember correctly) b/c we didn't want to feel like we were "cheaping" out. We had done that once before, getting a Nissan Pathfinder instead of the QX4 and didn't want to do it again. Great decision for us. It was well worth it and we've had a great experience with our QX56.

One of my co-workers just got a loaded '12 QX56 and she loves it for all the same reasons that you mention. Every time I take the QX in for service they offer me the new QX. It does drive/feel noticeably nicer than our version. That alone would be worth it for me! I love our current interior, but the new version is much improved. The exterior styling is not great but I'm sure it would grow on me, much like ours grew on me. The big thing holding us up on trading in is that I want to see the new Denali and Escalades b/c our next truck wil likely be a Suburban/XL sized truck. We could make do with the QX but with 3 growing kids (8, 4, 2) who are getting into sports and such, I would rather have the room to be able to split them into captain's chairs and the 3rd row while still having space behind the 3rd row. Storage behind the 3rd row is limited on the QX.

Good luck on your decision...by reading your posts, it sounds like you really want the QX. I say, "go for it"....it's always easy to spend someone else's money!

#18 ·
One more thought....the Armada, as strong as it is, is a 10 year old design and about to be replaced. I would have some issue buying that old of a design- especially for 46K! The QX is significantly newer and "better". The trick suspension and direct injection/updated 5.6 engine are both sweet. I could easily justify the 13K difference with those two major components and the bells/whistles that you don't get on the Armada.

#19 ·
While I agree with Keg it's hard to predict the future and you will never be able to have the latest and greatest for long. There will always be something coming out that is bigger / better / faster / cooler.

Important thing is to stay within your budget but don't cheap out on a car that wasn't the one you wanted. I bought two brand new cars (97 Trans Am, 03 Maxima) before I finally bit the bullet and got my 05 BMW M3. The two prior cars were sold within a couple of years of purchase because they were not what I wanted. My M3 has lasted me 8 years now! Though if I could afford it I would chuck it in the trash for an Audi R8 :)

Get what you want - it's cheaper in the long run.

#20 ·
We are going with the QX. We took Pops excellent suggestion and had the Armada for a day, and overnight, then had the QX for a day. The QX is an amazing car to drive! So, decided it was worth the slightly less cargo.

Keg97, I thought when we started out that we were going to get a suburban/escalade/yukon xl because that was the size we wanted. Turns out every american mid and large suv is missing a headrest in the middle second row (and third - less of an issue) seat. That was a nonstarter for me because my 13 yr old's head was entirely over the back of the seat as was my 8 yr old's in his booster (which he needed because the seat belt was on his neck). So that means, with the third row folded which it very often is due to need for space for gear, 2 of my children and their friends could not ride in the middle seat. I don't think the dealers could believe such a minor issue turned us away, but it is a proven safety issue and I can't believe ford/gmc/chevie are so cheap that they can't put that head rest in.

So, our hunt was difficult because the exact car we want doesn't exist (3 people, not small children, comfortable in second row, lots of cargo behind second row, decent (i.e. 17-20) gas mileage, all wheel drive, etc). But the infinity is a fantastic car to be in and drive (don't really like the way it looks externally, but I'll get used to it) and we will make do!

Thanks for your thoughts and the now obvious but previously unthought of and brilliant suggestion to take the cars on our normal routine for a whole day!
Stephanie

#21 ·
Good luck with your new truck. I'm also leaning in that direction, but probably won't be replacing my trusty Armada for another couple of years yet! Make sure you post pics when you get your new ride! And, don't be a stranger over here.

Keith

#22 ·
Awesome!!! We pretty much went through that same path sort of. I was dead set that I wanted a Yukon XL Denali. The 3rd row made it a no-go because one it wasn't fold flat and two the 3rd row leg room was cramped for non-small children. We take care of neices and nephews frequently and there's often I needed the third row to take them home then need it gone to stop by Lowe's or Home Depot to load it up with mulch or dirt so the non-fold flat would've required and extra trip home to either drop off the seat or make a second run to the store. I really tried to make a Denali work there was just no way and I didn't want a Ford at the time so the Armada it was.

Last year a neighbor bought a QX. I never liked the look but theirs is Charcoal and does look really nice. It occured to me that body style is very sensative to paint color, the color can literally determine if it looks good or not. I recently bought a Mini Cooper and it's almost the same way, different colors make it come across as an entirely different car, Mine is Charcoal and when parked next to a Beige, White, or Baby Blue one they just don't look the same.

Great choice you made. :D

#24 ·
You might consider buying a used one, I took a look at the Infiniti certified pre-owned website, and there were a whole bunch of them with relatively low miles in the Southern California area. I noticed CarMax has quite a few as well, although most of them appear to be ex-rental cars; I have a phobia against that, because I know how I treat rental cars!! If you buy certified pre-owned, you would likely save a bunch of dough, plus you'll get the extended warranty. Downside is that you won't get to experience that "brand new car feeling". :-(

Keith

#25 ·
I bought my Armada from carmax and have had only one problem with it. It was an ex-rental and had a few scratches in the interior. The only problem was the motor that drives the power window on the drivers side. It was a 2009 nine model with 5800 miles on it. So I am just saying if you look carefully, carmax can be a good option. Just my two cents.

#26 ·
actually, my sister just bought a use xterra 2011 xterra from a nissan dealership. and it was a rental also. been like 2 months i think. she doesnt have any issue. the truck drove great, suspension feel smooth. i had the same reservation about buying rentals also. but my friend used to work at enterprise and said they do all the necessary checking and maintenance after every rental. but to be safe we also bought the extended bumper to bumper warranted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.