Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Airbags work intermittently

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  docpaulo 
#1 ·
Can someone help me figure out why the compressor kicks on when it feels like it? The relays everyone suggests swapping, they're brown/tan and labeled 25230, right? I swapped the two and I'm getting the same results. When the compressor works the airbags inflate and things are good. This problem happens with lighter and heavier loads and it's a pretty recent issue.

Any ideas on what the problem is or what to check?

Thanks,
Dan

#2 ·
Check the system for leaks. Mix up a little dish washing soap and water, and use the solution to check the air line connections for bubbles. There have been problems with the O rings leaking at air line connections.

#3 ·
Thanks for the idea, I'm sure there are leaks but I don't think that's what's causing my intermittent issue. Here's why: I can put a seriously heavy load on the hitch, watch the truck squat and get nothing from the compressor. I can let the truck sit (engine off) with the weight on the hitch, come back and start the engine (wait 3-5 min) and the compressor still won't kick on. And then there's times when it will kick back on.

And, when it works, the system works great. The compressor isn't running constantly (or a lot) like it would with a faster leak that was overheating the compressor (just MHO).

So, I don't think it's a leak that's causing the problem, but if you're sure that it is I'll look into it. Either way I'm sure the O-rings could use replacing at some point but I don't know if it's my main issue.

Thank you,
Dan

#4 ·
compressor

I had the same problem... luckily was covered by my extended warranty so it only cost 50$...

there was a leak in the system... this caused the compressor to never reach a steady state and eventually burn out...

the compressor overheats then stops working until it recovers, thus the intermittent function...

the busted compressor is what damaged the relay as that was replaced too...

basically the compressor reached the set height, the leak makes it go down so several times during the trip, the compressor is going on and off...

compressor is about 300$ or so... but you need to fix the leak first or your new compressor will go bust too...

hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.