Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Another P0420 Post

13K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Tiger6513 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I was getting the P0420 and P0430 codes. Since I didn't want to spend a lot of money on replacing the cats I took some advice I found on Titantalk and a post here and I put a can of Seafoam in my gas tank and drove it around 200 miles. The next day when I started the car the service engine soon light was off and has been off for a week. I know it is not a permanent fix but for $8 I thought it was worth a try.

#9 ·
Depends on if you go OEM, if you have a flex fuel, and if you do the install yourself.

OEM will be about $2500 in parts.
Aftermarket headers, B-Pipes, UpRev, and OEM gaskets will run you about $1200 in parts.
Having a shop do the labour will mean paying shop rates for about 8 hours of work.

OEM route will mean you will be prone to cracking, again. Aftermarket route means you won't have to worry about it.

The 4 aftermarket headers you want to look for are: JBA, Doug Thorley, Stillen, and Nismo (PRT is making a set but they are crazy expensive- really for those that race or want to get every ounce of power).
For B-Pipes you should go with PRT B-Pipes or Cajun B-Pipes.

REMEMBER TO USE OEM GASKETS!! Might want to purchase new header bolts just in case also.

Reactions: bodacious
#11 ·
UpRev so that your air/fuel ratios will be in spec.
I guess technically you don't HAVE TO replace B-Pipes unless they need to be, but it makes it much easier to just do everything once... and you'll get the most out of your new headers that way.

#12 ·
It's your cats, they are starting to loosen up. I had the same code with my passenger side and when I took the manifold out, white speckles started falling out of the flange. Good thing I changed it out before it got into my engine.

#15 ·
info overload.....if b-pipes are aft of the cat, do I need it? It'll be nice to change up the rest. I once saw an armada w/ 2 tailpipes coming out the rear...nice!!

I'm pretty sure I have a cracked manifold, driving it sucks as I go up/down grades on the beltway.

So I would need the exhaust manifold(s), piping and cat, right?

#17 ·
I threw a SES 0430 last night on my way home in my 06' Armada LE. I had a friend tell me to start with the o2 sensor (least expensive fix) and work my way up? From reading this thread it seems that it is likely a manifold crack between ports 3 and 4... I have 115k on a 2006, have you guys done a full header all the way back swap, if so for what brand/cost? Is this going to be an all weekend project? Manifolds deal with heat better than headers, are headers going to cause more problems for me down the road or can I/ should I get them wrapped to save heat from the starter ect. ect... I have a k&N hi flo, with incresed flow going out the exhaust do I need to think about a balance and consider an intake system? Man, simple code may be costing me a boat load, but I want to do it right so I can put another 115k on my paid off truck.

Thanks for all your imput ahead of time, I know I am asking a lot of questions all at once.

-Tony

#18 ·
Tony try a quick search for "headers"... boils down to this: OEM exhaust manifolds are crap and cost $1200 per side. Aftermarket headers are better quality, cheaper, and better performance. You will need UpRev most likely, but all that is required with the swap is about or less than one OEM manifold.

#20 ·
I would HIGHLY recommend UpRev unless you have flex fuel. For me it isn't worth the risk...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.