Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Transmission failures

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  ntrddragn 
#1 ·
Just thought I would give everyone a heads up, I have just rebuilt\replaced my 5th tranny on an Armada. Water intrusion was the cause EVERY time including two that I was able to save. Leaking trans coolers in the radiator was the cause! Just some advise if you are at or over the 80k mark I highly recommend either radiator replacement or install an aftermarket trans cooler and take the radiator out of the loop. By the way 2 times I had to have the fluid analyzed to find the water intrusion as I did not see anything unusual! HTH;)

#3 ·
Didn't want to hear that. So would you say the aluminum rad is a better bet even if i dont do the bypass.

#4 ·
Absolutely!!! After reading on here about radiator failures I changed mine to a Stillen as a precautionary measure. Cheap insurance, the cost of a radiator vs. tranny. Even if dealer or independent repair shop does it you come out ahead. The radiator is less than an OEM and is a better radiator FWIW.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Ahhh...the upgrades continue... Thanks!

#7 ·
I don't tow but do carry a full load often. My only concern with the bypass trans cooler is that I live in a cold climate and worry about the warm up. Is this an issue I should or shouldn't worry about?

#10 ·
Just wondering how much longer it would take to bring up to operating temp.

#11 ·
We have too many cold mornings for that! Hoping the aluminum rad will make the issue moot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.