Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

New guy with a question.

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Kooshtaka 
#1 ·
Hello everyone im new to this site and new to Nissans in general! Before Christmas my wife started her search for a new vehicle, Nissans were never on our radar as we have had suvs from the big 3 for the past 20 years,So I was surprised when she brought an 07 Armada LE that was her doctors for my opinion and test drive it for the weekend, I drive a 2011 Escalade and after driving the Armada I was sold! With 40,000 miles and a price of $15,000 I feel I got a decent deal. The owner did a few aftermarket things like K&N CAI, Nissmo Cat back, 22'' rims, Halo? headlights I think they are HID but im not sure. All interior and exterior lights LED, 15'' drop down screen. My question is this when I was doing the paperwork with the owner he told me I should get a Bullydog GT? and advance the timing? I enjoy driving it so much I have since traded with my wife for my Escalade! I like the way it sounds and the get up and go it has If I buy this Bullydog is it something I will be able to tell the difference (feel?) I was waiting to join your forum until I was able to take a few pics to post with my question but im here in the Midwest and we are stuck in a winter mess! Thank you in advance for any info anyone can share with me!

#2 ·
Welcome to the Armada forum from NC.. If its a 4x4 model go out and be easy on the gas pedal as it will sure churn the wheels over, Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you did good with the low miles ..Its cool to read the Armada has more pep than the GM with the bigger engine. does it have the big tow package.

#3 ·
You will notice a difference with a 2 degree timing advance. I have UpRev software and do them for free for anyone who wants it. Where are you located?

#4 ·
Like Drauden said ^ you will feel a difference with the timing advance. Depending on what mods you are wanting a Bullydog GT may or may not be best option. If you are planning on going with aftermarket headers, then may be more cost effective to save and get UpRev as you will need it with the headers.
FYI OEM exhaust headers are around $1300 per side last I checked. JBA Long Tube Headers were around $450 for the PAIR, B-pipes ~$400 and UpRev $500. Still coming in WAY UNDER what a pair of OEM headers will run you. OEM exhaust headers have been known to crack so it would be wise to put a little Header Fund together. There is a great write up here and over on TitanTalk if you like to do your own work and want to tackle the header swap yourself.

OH YEAH! Welcome to the Club!!

#7 ·
It does not require premium.

#8 ·
Does the engine run a tad hotter with the Timing Advanced 2 degrees ??? What kind of Seat of the pants gains are we talking about. I think the QX runs this stock, not sure.
Does it effect fuel economy, I am seriously thinking of getting a Older 05 up just for me to pull toys around outfitted with a Inverter, TV, Playstation, Refrigerator and heat system and will be able to make these mods to, My wife want let me touch her 2010 Titanium.

#9 ·
Yeah if you're not gonna do headers, at least get bully dog, you will feel the power increase right away. I have the same bolt on mods, and whenever I unpair the bully dog, it's a big diff in power. I can't even keep it in 87 tune cause 91 tune you can also feel more power...

#10 ·
Thanks Dragon_27 for your reply! I don't think I will tackle headers as my skill set is not even close to the level im sure is needed for the job! I have just been amazed at how much I enjoy driving this truck, I never thought I would trade my wife for my Escalade that's 5 years older with a larger engine and more H.P. I saw you have an Alpine shallow sub, did you place it under driver front seat?

#13 ·
Drauden thank you for your reply! Im located just west of Chicago, Thank you for the offer I wish I was closer! So would you just go with the timing advance? My local dealer (Nissan) Will not do the advance for me but my little brother has a friend with a dyno shop and says his buddy can do it for me no problem! Does this sound legit? (safe) Or should I just pay the $4??.?? and have the option to change it back? Like I said I was just surprised with the "fun factor" of the Armada (I have drove stock models in the past that just felt much more blah)and the last owner told me if I liked what the cat&cai did I would like what the Bullydog would do.

#15 ·
My suggestion, if you are happy with the performance at current level then I would save up and get the UpRev. You'll be able to do the timing advance and you'll be setup for headers also. Our exhaust headers are prone to cracking I believe around the 100k range. Some a little before, some after.

Kooshtaka Thanks for the reply! I saw your post about LEDS im not 100% sure but I think last owner replaced every OEM bulbs with LEDS if I show you a picture maybe you could tell? I have never been one to do much aftermarket upgrades (my skill level is pretty low for what a 40 year old should have) but I think I may soon catch that bug!
Sure, the good news is that our trucks are REALLY easy to work on. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
Kooshtaka Thanks for the reply! I saw your post about LEDS im not 100% sure but I think last owner replaced every OEM bulbs with LEDS if I show you a picture maybe you could tell? I have never been one to do much aftermarket upgrades (my skill level is pretty low for what a 40 year old should have) but I think I may soon catch that bug!

#16 ·
Why the problem with the headers? I think I will take your advice and wait on getting the BD If JBA headers are that cheap and the OEM are prone to go bad I think that is the road I should go! This months goal is to change the Firestone 305/60/22 (brand new but they spit rain and snow everywhere) And get some better rotors and pads. Are you happy with the setup you have?

#17 ·
BD is a good way to go if you are planning on keep trading up model years. Please, don't taking my previous posts as talking bad about BD because that is a terrific option for some. If you are planning to keep the armada well after 100k miles, then skipping BD and saving for UpRev might be more cost effective. But if you have money to burn than BD is not a bad way to go. Lol
Personal, I've been very happy with r1 concept rotors, but I've only tried OEM and r1. There are a bunch of threads about different tires. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
I haven't done any audio upgrades, but I hear tech12volts has some solutions... I don't believe you will have to remove the Nismo catback.... if you hit up one of the places for b-pipes (most common are Cajun and PRT) they would let you know. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.